Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s not a classic spot like Mitch, but they’ll nickel and dime their way to good numbers. I’ve heard from a number of people they’re a sneaky good spot. 

I think that's the key - nickles and dimes.  Their elevation helps plus catching a little LES and synoptic events here and there that others east or west of them misses misses.

Aren't there a couple of COOPs up that way too?  There's also one in Worthington, MA just north of them.  That whole spine of the Berkshires is good for snow retention too.  Just look at the NOHRSC maps of snow depth for any season.  They are the last place in CT to lose their snow.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you follow the Norfolk dude on Twitter. It’s literally always snowing there. There’s always SOTG. Granted it desolate and rural . You have to be a person like Mitch who doesn’t like people and likes relative isolation and losing your internet and connection to society for 7-10 days at a time to live there. But if you are seeking a lot of snow and are anti society, it’s one of the best spots in New England 

I was just going to defend Mitch for being social, but I see he was cut out of the pic. :lol:

Mitch, dendrite, and Alicia Bentley in da house though.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you follow the Norfolk dude on Twitter. It’s literally always snowing there. There’s always SOTG. Granted it desolate and rural . You have to be a person like Mitch who doesn’t like people and likes relative isolation and losing your internet and connection to society for 7-10 days at a time to live there. But if you are seeking a lot of snow and are anti society, it’s one of the best spots in New England 

You have to prefer and be thrilled about clouds and 50s in June. That takes a special kind of dark soul in isolation, they do exist.

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You have to prefer and be thrilled about clouds and 50s in June. That takes a special kind of dark soul in isolation, they do exist.

I think that Maine Photog guy was possibly the worst. The dude was legit thrilled with drizzle and 40s in June. I never understood it.

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I grew up in Norfolk and lived there for my first 26 years.  It is a magical place for fans of snow - for SNE, it is about as good as it gets.

I now live in New Hartford about 15 miles from Norfolk and while a big step up from Ellington, it is still not even close to Norfolk.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

I grew up in Norfolk and lived there for my first 26 years.  It is a magical place for fans of snow - for SNE, it is about as good as it gets.

I now live in New Hartford about 15 miles from Norfolk and while a big step up from Ellington, it is still not even close to Norfolk.

Nice . 

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

07-08 pounded here. I don't have my records on hand, but CON had like 16-17". I think it was 2 systems with a brief gap in between. 10.1" on 12/31 and 6.5" on 1/1.

I remember those events very well. The first one actually trended way north in the final 36h. It went from CT jackpot to MA jackpot to congrats dendrite in a span of like 3 runs. Every run went 50 miles north. We had like 4" in that one along with some IP/ZR. It was 12/30-31 and then New Years morning was the start of the 2nd one...that one was never progged to crush us down here but we did get heavy snow briefly as it wound up. We kind of got the ass-end of it. I was driving back from NYC early that morning hungover.

Left around 7-8am and it was mild down there...like mid-upper 40s and bare ground. Quickly went to 30s north of Merritt and ran into snow on 91 north. Rain like was chasing me though...turned to rain in HFD and even when I got up into Tolland on 84 it was a R/S mix. Finally went to all snow at Union and the line never did advance much further. We stayed all snow in ORH but the precip shut off before we could get warning snows. I remember it really wound up in NH though. Aviation Dave was there that winter in Derry NH and I remember him posting huge totals in that event...like 10"....with maybe even more in Maine? I was a bit bummed we just missed the higher totals. Still a good period though. We had like 20" depth after that New Years event before it got annihilated by that epic Jan 8-12 torch. 

45 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes. Kev acts like hes living in the Allagash, he is like 20 minutes from town. Big deal

I just saw his Twitter.  9 days to get fixed.  That’s annoying.  

but then again, the town my wife works in still doesn’t have broadband internet.   Sucks for the school

54 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

He’s in no mans land dude. 8 days for internet or whatever it is to get fixed? Wtf. 

If he has Consolidated Communications, he could be living in downtown BTV and have the same issue. They are the worst. I can’t even find the words to adequately describe how truly awful they are. I listened to one of their customer service reps literally yell at my office mate the other day. He just moved to a place where they are his only option for phone or internet and there is no cell signal. It is the worst telecom company ever. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I just saw his Twitter.  9 days to get fixed.  That’s annoying.  

but then again, the town my wife works in still doesn’t have broadband internet.   Sucks for the school

Its taking people in towns weeks to get cable hooked up. Not a rural problem.  Mitch can probably get back and forth faster shopping than those who live in the cities.  I  mean between HFD and Boston I don't know which city is worse for traffic 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mreaves said:

If he has Consolidated Communications, he could be living in downtown BTV and have the same issue. They are the worst. I can’t even find the words to adequately describe how truly awful they are. I listened to one of their customer service reps literally yell at my office mate the other day. He just moved to a place where they are his only option for phone or internet and there is no cell signal. It is the worst telecom company ever. 

I get angry when I hit a dead zone on the way to work. Couldn’t live in a place like that around the clock. Maybe that’s why he enjoys a full sky of clouds and cool weather all year round. Misery loves company. 

39 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Unfortunately I do have them and unless I get satellite Internet ($$$ and data cap, latency issues) they are the only game in town. Much of VT, NH, and ME is under their domain outside of the larger towns and cities that have fiber or cable. My cell signal is very weak and data based apps won't work. Texts usually go through but patience is required. Of course with Internet iMessages will go through the Wifi. 

One of my bonded DSL lines went down last Wednesday night (12/11) and the Internet won't work with one of them down since they're encoded to be together. Bonded DSL increases the speed of the connection and the distance the signal can travel from the central office. DSL uses the old copper phone wire infrastructure that's been around for God only knows how long and things are bound to fail. I've seen a number of Consolidated trucks around my neighborhood lately so I'm not the only one having issues. 

The problem is that the techs don't show up for appointments, holding people hostage while they wait for someone to show. Fortunately I didn't have to be home as the issue was outside the house. A tech finally came this morning after I threatened to cancel Internet service after 3 days of no shows and one day where a tech came but seemed to not know what he was doing.

To their credit, I think most of the employees usually care for the customers but the management is God awful. Customer service and techs have little power to deal with the incompetent and uncaring management. The tech I had the first time was not local and was likely employed by a contractor working on behalf of Consolidated according to the tech who showed this morning.

One of the minor downsides of living here I guess...hopefully one day fiber or cable will arrive because the current infrastructure is crumbling and can't handle the speeds most people these days require. 

Anyway, I still have 12" of snow OTG and am at 51.9" for the season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its taking people in towns weeks to get cable hooked up. Not a rural problem.  Mitch can probably get back and forth faster shopping than those who live in the cities.  I  mean between HFD and Boston I don't know which city is worse for traffic 

20 minutes to North Adams, MA, 30 to Bennington. City life is not for me. Getting around in a large city can be a PITA, but not here. 

• Like 3

Just now, wxmanmitch said:

20 minutes to North Adams, MA, 30 to Bennington. City life is not for me. Getting around in a large city can be a PITA, but not here. 

Hop skip and a jump.  These guys act like it's the Allagash.  Lol.  Great spot, close enough yet far enough.  Yea traffic, noise ugh. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Unfortunately I do have them and unless I get satellite Internet ($$$ and data cap, latency issues) they are the only game in town. Much of VT, NH, and ME is under their domain outside of the larger towns and cities that have fiber or cable. My cell signal is very weak and data based apps won't work. Texts usually go through but patience is required. Of course with Internet iMessages will go through the Wifi. 

One of my bonded DSL lines went down last Wednesday night (12/11) and the Internet won't work with one of them down since they're encoded to be together. Bonded DSL increases the speed of the connection and the distance the signal can travel from the central office. DSL uses the old copper phone wire infrastructure that's been around for God only knows how long and things are bound to fail. I've seen a number of Consolidated trucks around my neighborhood lately so I'm not the only one having issues. 

The problem is that the techs don't show up for appointments, holding people hostage while they wait for someone to show. Fortunately I didn't have to be home as the issue was outside the house. A tech finally came this morning after I threatened to cancel Internet service after 3 days of no shows and one day where a tech came but seemed to not know what he was doing.

To their credit, I think most of the employees usually care for the customers but the management is God awful. Customer service and techs have little power to deal with the incompetent and uncaring management. The tech I had the first time was not local and was likely employed by a contractor working on behalf of Consolidated according to the tech who showed this morning.

One of the minor downsides of living here I guess...hopefully one day fiber or cable will arrive because the current infrastructure is crumbling and can't handle the speeds most people these days require. 

Anyway, I still have 12" of snow OTG and am at 51.9" for the season. 

My friend does have some hope on the horizon. His area is scheduled to get fiber through EC Fiber https://www.ecfiber.net in the next year or so. 23 towns in East-central VT banded together you build their own high speed fiber optic network. As for me, I dropped Consolidated back when they were still Fairpoint. We have cable access and with the advent of WiFi calling could get rid of our landline. We had such problems just with their billing that I couldn’t take it and dumped them. I have never once thought about going back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

Just dropped Comcast in favor of a small NY company thats been blanketing West Hartford with fiber......I get 150 up and down for $50/month....and its tested very very consistently since day 1......I've had it about 2 weeks or so....love it

UI is backed up beyond belief right now with fiber companies trying to hook up to our poles. The backlog for a new company to hook up at this point can be measured in years , and they are already beginning to weigh down our poles that weren’t designed to handle all these cables in the first place. I certainly get why people want fiber though, that’s a good deal overall. 

Worst part is if a pole collapses during a storm you now not need just UI, but you also need all 8-10 fiber companies to come and put their lines back up before the pole can be deemed clear. LOL.  sorry anyways back to weather..