Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

I would love a Jan '11 redux. Two great nor'easters and the only legit norlun I've experienced. My only quibble with that season was that it virtually shut off Feb 1, but I didn't think I'd ever beat that month until Feb '15 walked through the door.

Feb 15 was better than Jan 11? Hope i read that wrong.

Jan 11 was a foot storm + 18" storm + 30" storm plus what was left over from boxing day depth reached over 30". Feb 15 had solid 12-20" depth the whole time but as far as storms it doesnt even hold a candle. Feb 2nd 11", Feb 8th ~4" Feb 14th bust 2", Feb 21st ~5" How can you even compare the two.

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

Jan 11 was a foot storm + 18" storm + 30" storm plus what was left over from boxing day depth reached over 30". Feb 15 had solid 12-20" depth the whole time but as far as storms it doesnt even hold a candle. Feb 2nd 11", Feb 8th ~4" Feb 14th bust 2", Feb 21st ~5" How can you even compare the two.

I should mention that my preference is colored by the fact that I was living in Boston in '15. Obviously Jan '11 in southern CT still stands alone. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Depends where you are...back east, 2015 took it to another level.

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

its crazy to me that the hills of NW connecticut avg about the same as the mountains of southern VT. Id take VT anyday over anywhere in CT

Well the legend just says 80 + so those highest hills in northwest Connecticut are like 80 to 90 whereas southern Vermont is up into the 100s in areas. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They do well in marginal events and the difference between here and 15 miles to my north is staggering. But from an coastal crusher standpoint, we’ve been relatively skunked compared to the east and in recent seasons, to our north and west. 

It’s mainly due to Lake effect. They get several of their own private snowstorms each winter from lake effect 

57 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I would love a Jan '11 redux. Two great nor'easters and the only legit norlun I've experienced. My only quibble with that season was that it virtually shut off Feb 1, but I didn't think I'd ever beat that month until Feb '15 walked through the door.

I’d hit another 2010-11 winter so hard, haha. 

We had 150”+ in Stowe Village (JSpin there with 197”).... it snowed all winter.  Thundersnow, a couple 20-36” upslope events, massive synoptic storms.  

This is a truly underrated winter...deep snowpack all year, peaking at 40” even in the mountain valleys.  

The 2010-11 total snow map just looks like an upslope prog.  Every event over-produced it seemed.  Even the SNE storms in Jan brought 8-12” each it seemed.

B9208750-255D-4227-B77F-2E7812DB991D.png.5c140bba518e9ae21facec7160aaa6db.png

• Like 1