Total Members
    Most Online
    WXMal4
    Newest Member
    WXMal4
Ginx snewx

Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I slept through most of it but enough trees and power lines down in the area to close my daughter’s and wife’s regional districts.  

Was a wild night for everyone inland and shore. Outages and damages confirmed 

• Haha 1

200k customers out in MA,. Some schools in SE Mass and NW Worcester county are off today.  Some trees on houses and stuff. Not that big for inland areas, but certainly a bit above a "pedestrian" event. The wind direction and the trees still in leaf played a factor too.

2 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Power out school cancelled in Duxbury. Sweet hum of the generator.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Prob some gusts around hurricane force right on the water in that area. 

59 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I slept through most of it but enough trees and power lines down in the area to close my daughter’s and wife’s regional districts.  

Route 140 was completely closed from Hager Park south. 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But they said no winds .. no stinger . It roared all night. Many gusts 50+

That had absolutely nothing to do with a stinger...not even remotely close. 

Take a look at BDL's hourly obs...the winds began to crank as they switched to N and then NW. It roared all night b/c the winds shifted right around midnight...which is exactly what some of us said. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That had absolutely nothing to do with a stinger...not even remotely close. 

Take a look at BDL's hourly obs...the winds began to crank as they switched to N and then NW. It roared all night b/c the winds shifted right around midnight...which is exactly what some of us said. 

There was obviously a CAA and isallobaric boost, but I don't think you can definitively say it wasn't a sting jet when looking at both radar data and WV imagery. BDL winds didn't gust until after 06Z/2AM when this feature was moving through behind the sfc low.

1023841040_BDLstinger.thumb.PNG.e1454c6a1f6d13fa0008d1f2a3014d82.PNG

3 minutes ago, CarverWX said:

Looks like KPYM's max gust was 52 at 1:52am

I see 53 knots (61mph) for PYM. That's pretty solid for that sand pit. Bet there was easily hurricane force hitting the pine hills close to the water. 

7 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

All sorts of debris including whole trees down in the Portland area.  153,000 CMP customers (including both of my houses) are in the dark.  I had a window screen ripped off and one of my patio chairs flipped :lol:

sorry for your loss

• Like 1

3.25" of rain.  Lots of minor branches and leaves down, but no power outages or even flickers in my neck of the woods.  Was awesome listening to the rain and wind while falling asleep last night.

17 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

There was obviously a CAA and isallobaric boost, but I don't think you can definitively say it wasn't a sting jet when looking at both radar data and WV imagery. BDL winds didn't gust until after 06Z/2AM when this feature was moving through behind the sfc low.

1023841040_BDLstinger.thumb.PNG.e1454c6a1f6d13fa0008d1f2a3014d82.PNG

If it were a sting jet though wouldn't we have seen a period of anomalous gusts? (Gusts that were much higher than the mean over a period of time?) If as that went through and there was a swath of gusts like 65-70+ mph I think you could certainly argue sting jet...but the magnitude of the gusts don't seem to be much of an outlier of what was experienced with the CAA and pressure rises.