• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

No one asked this so consider it a straw-man discussion point.   But I see this soo many times...  We get some freak anomaly and usually within temporal shouting distance, there is some sort of anomaly that's occurring that's offering up enough ballast in the other direction to at least get back closer to balancing climo 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_40.png

We may actually see the apex - relative to climatology - of this overall warmer than normal pattern in about a week.  And look what the GFS attempts to do two to three days later. 

This happens in reality though; and of course since the models should be a facsimile of reality ( it is hoped .. ), we often see this in the models too.  Really close to freakishly warm for two days prior to this panel above...  and it would almost take sub 540 dm thickness to compensate so why the hell not-

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No one asked this so consider it a straw-man discussion point.   But I see this soo many times...  We get some freak anomaly and usually within temporal shouting distance, there is some sort of anomaly that's occurring that's offering up enough ballast in the other direction to at least get back closer to balancing climo 

We may actually see the apex - relative to climatology - of this overall warmer than normal pattern in about a week.  And look what the GFS attempts to do two to three days later. 

This happens in reality though; and of course since the models should be a facsimile of reality ( it is hoped .. ), we often see this in the models too.  Really close to freakishly warm for two days prior to this panel above...  and it would almost take sub 540 dm thickness to compensate so why the hell not-

2 weeks left in the period according to GEFS EPS. Our extended summer may end quickly.

In any case... that's a really defining range imho.  I've been noticing this across the last several day of GFS, and it seems also to be in the Euro now that the time is into it's edge ranges ...where there some sort of hemispheric house-cleansing of 564+ dm thickness along the 40th parallel.  

We're not exactly rolling warm air masses anywhere close to 570 and backside high pressure/warm sectors are down a lever mark or two after that ~ range.   If there was any geriatric life left to this summer as to whether it's back is actually finally broke or not, I'd say that's pretty convincing.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I agree Tip, so often we see these highly abnormal patterns do some whiplash the other way.  Wasn’t October 2011 warm for 3 weeks then bam two snow events?  

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end all this warmth with something like a 1-2 day shot of cold with snow showers in the hills in like early/mid-October.  Before it bounces mild again.

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I agree Tip, so often we see these highly abnormal patterns do some whiplash the other way.  Wasn’t October 2011 warm for 3 weeks then bam two snow events?  

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end all this warmth with something like a 1-2 day shot of cold with snow showers in the hills in like early/mid-October.  Before it bounces mild again.

Yeah, totally!  And that's a fine example of this facet.    

But it's not always cut-and-dry, either.   It's 100 for three days in the first half of some July, ...then, it's 55 for three days in early August ... having long forgotten the former inferno.  It's smeared, and often happens in the aggregate, such that making up for climate happens over time.  Other times the corrections are right on top of one another.  The GFS is sorta been buckin' for the latter over recent runs.  We'll see.

Climate numbers don't seem to very much year to year - notwithstanding the GW crap for a moment.  But in the stable regime, if it's -10 for a week straight in January ...  ahh, gotta go with a earth softener warm up in February say 50/50 of times...  

Part of the problem is that Devil's proclamation in there, "... in a stable regime.."    

We are not in a stable regime. 

I don't think -necessarily - that has to mean that the "make up for losses and gains" tendency stops happening.  But, that the make ups get more skewed and perhaps mottled by freak events that are happening for the instability itself...  

Code for, it's complicated.     

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Cooldown for about a week, then the next 7 months were all AN.  Novie thru March ranged from +3 to +7.  With winter wx to match.  :axe: