Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

34 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

6z gfs really pushes that from thru after a Saturday torch (85-87) , what a boundary next Thursday, upper 30’s Maine , upper 80’s Boston (gfs 2 m temps)

Yeah I'm really impressed by the gradient being set up by the models.  I know Scott's also mentioned this, as did I several days ago when the Euro started putting up 24 C 850 mb slope between Montreal and Boston back whence...  

Here is the synoptic overview for the D9.5  (only used to elucidate the gradient..)  This example circumstance is more akin to an early April wave event - yet even more extreme in a sense because we're not likely to find 576 DAM thickness in warm sectors that far N in mid spring.  Still, this is unusual for autumn - 

I think it may just be a consequence of the erstwhile -AO preponderant summer lingering into early Autumn, in that we are setting the continent up for cold loading earlier; meanwhile, we have a bloated Hadley cell latitude height bias all over the world.  These two are increasing the ambient gradient potential, quite plausibly these types of layouts we see below are a result of that enhanced polarity around the 50th to 60th latitude band where the twain shall meet.  

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_38.png

I suspect this could continue just based upon the unrelenting -AO total bias. There are times when that index has alleviated toward neutral SD (standard deviation), even going positive. But over the longer term the modeled positive ventures of the curves out in time seems to get correct down, while the nadirs do just fine to verify either as is, or even lower.  That's a 2ndary correction?  A non-obvious subtle trend that needs to be taken into consideration for the transition season, overall, as that darn AO has often thrown seasonal outlooks for a loop.  Even NCEP has admitted - or begun to do so ...- as of about ten years ago, that regions from the NP-Lakes to NE are prone to non-ENSO related modulation of their temperature biases - code for, 'we can't predict the peregrinations of the AO out in time with any dependency, and when it is negative, it can and often does usurp the ENSO forcing' 

In fact, this latter facet still doesn't really resonate very well in the outlooks that come from the social-media's sphere of environmental science enthusiasts/pass-time professionals that play around with that sort of thing on-line ( hint hint, like in here :) ) ...  

Be that as it may, I suspect we have chances for huge temperature variations across baroclinic cycling, throughout middle latitudes ...and a hurried flow tendency ( also concomitant with enhanced mid-latitude gradient circumstantially in the mean ) helping to roll out cold into warm episodes quickly.  Probably through Christmas or so... after which the seasonal nadir starts to show up and we finally decompress the Hadley cell hang-over swollen headache. 

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Huge temp contrasts with deep LP, warm sector and dry lines. Tornado season gets a boot in the ass and rejuvenates 

Outside of that stretch in late May I believe it's been another fairly quiet season overall...although not sure of the exact numbers. 

I've seen an awesome graphic floating around twitter at times which shows up-to-date confirmed tornado count for each state but I'm not sure where that graphic comes from. 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

'Course ...no sooner do I post that missive and this ...

image.png.0929362d8813140a55f09ac0717f14a0.png

You know what I'm curious about...if the loading pattern for the AO is defined by 1000mb SLP why are 500 height anomaly/height fields used to characterize the sign/strength of the AO?

anyways...looking at the projected SLP anomalies/500mb height anomalies...I'm not entirely sure the structure of the +AO would just equate to big warmth up to our latitudes. I'm assuming this projected index is being driven by the anomalously low SLP anomalies around Greenland and extending into eastern Canada...southward displaced SLP anomalies try extending to our latitudes, but it is a big fight with the southern ridge.  You also have a -PNA signal which is going to try and pump up the heights...it's almost like the AO  signal is so strong/displaced that it actually prevents warmth from sustaining into October...somewhat of a similar fashion to where extremely -NAO's which are south displaced yields above-average heights poking into NNE 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

90 in October is the new COC

A day here and you act like it's been 90 for days and days nobody said 90 is COC no one. But interesting that as that soared to 90 DPs dropped to the 50s. Then as the front approached the DPs climbed again. Go outside its absolutely gorgeous out here. Drying out with a nice breeze. 

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He may be belly surfing today , so we’ll give benefit of doubt 

Not today. We await Jerry swells. Karen unfortunately looks like it will be 1500 miles from Ct unlike your predicted SNE hit. One day you will nail one, one day out of the hundreds you called for. Forky level performance 

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Climo starts to become a killer for 90F up here as we get near October. CON has 2 90+ readings in their October history and one was in the knicker years. Otherwise the highest was a 90F on 10/7/63. Before that the next 90F is 9/28 back in yore and then you get into the 90-91 stuff from 2007 and 2017. Get 18-20C up here and we'll push it regardless of climo, but my hunch is those euro runs are a little too aggressive for the heat up here. Last night's euro looks a lot like how this last stretch played out. NE-SW gradient as the high knifes in and then we step it up each day until a stronger cold fropa comes through. That's getting into lala though. Pretty strong gradients though across the US, but we're getting into that season I guess. Like Scoot said...looking ninaish too.

Same at Farmington.  Their only October 90 (on the button) was 10/13/1930.  Next latest hitting that mark was 2 years ago on 9/24.  Their latest 80 was 10/25/1963 (which I remember well in NNJ - beautiful day to be fishing and the action was always fast there in late Oct warmth, but the fire danger was so high that state officials didn't even want people going out on the lakes, probably because some numbskull might toss a butt into the brush while prepping his boat at the launch.)