Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,508
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
    Joined
powderfreak

April 2019 Discussion II

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No thanks . Keep your mild winters and cold springs 

Enjoy 3” snowpacks I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

More power to you Nick. I couldn't deal with that this time of year. :lol:

I mean a freak icing event would be cool, but it's like you guys are 30-45 days behind here. 40s and drizzle in June would make me grab the uzi.

I dont mind as much when it actually yields interesting winter weather. We had some days in june 2 years back where the high was 36/37 with fog and drizzle. The ocean is below normal this year so im a little worried about a late start to summer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Enjoy 3” snowpacks I guess. 

1k in Tolland is a nice place to be to escape the extreme summer heat across most of CT. All of those 95F days at BDL while, sipping on Coronas at 1kft, in the NE hills it's only 89F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Enjoy 3” snowpacks I guess. 

Why do you even live on the water? You rarely go to beach , you spend all summer up and in at Winni, and you work 2 hours away up and in , in North Andover :lol: Makes sense. Enjoy sea breeze and 51 tomorrow I guess 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I dont mind as much when it actually yields interesting winter weather. We had some days in june 2 years back where the high was 36/37 with fog and drizzle. The ocean is below normal this year so im a little worried about a late start to summer...

I can't even fathom a July like this.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/daily_data_e.html?hlyRange=2012-03-20|2019-04-23&dlyRange=2012-03-20|2019-04-23&mlyRange=|&StationID=50089&Prov=NL&urlExtension=_e.html&searchType=stnName&optLimit=yearRange&StartYear=1840&EndYear=2019&selRowPerPage=25&Line=7&searchMethod=contains&txtStationName=st+johns&timeframe=2&Day=1&Year=2015&Month=7#

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Enjoy 3” snowpacks I guess. 

FWIW, my average winter snow cover is 5" with 65 days continuous coverage with a peak of 16".

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

1k in Tolland is a nice place to be to escape the extreme summer heat across most of CT. All of those 95F days at BDL while, sipping on Coronas at 1kft, in the NE hills it's only 89F.

Unless you're on a hilltop, it also generally cools off at night with only a handful of nights 70 or above.  It helps take the edge off of peak climo.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I agree with Pickles about RI beaches.  Best in New England, although I don't know the ones in CT.

Second Beach in Middletown (Sacusett) is my favorite in New England

SW CT beaches suck. Nothing but rocks and floating bandaids.  RI has some great beaches, especially block island. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

That was the summer before i came. I its one of their worst ever. The Julys since ive been here have been reasonably okay.

Isn't Newfoundland like the wettest and cloudiest place in Canada? Have you been to St. Pierre and Miquelon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Isn't Newfoundland like the wettest and cloudiest place in Canada? Have you been to St. Pierre and Miquelon? 

St johns is the foggiest cloudiest windiest and snowiest city in canada. Not the wettest though. Also has the most hours of freezing rain and drizzle. I havent been to st pierre yet. Its on the list though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Geezus Sat looks like a windswept cold disaster, figures.

Looking at the webcam at Bishops Motel in Jackman its snowing up there today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

If he wants convection, look to you guys. You’ll get golf balls with dews in the 50s lol. 

Except for the hail-proof square mile in which my home is centered.  There's been significant hail events within a couple miles in every direction, the 8/30/07 tree-killer was less than 10 miles to my SE, but if one collected all the hailstones that have landed on my lawn (60' by 40') over the past 21 years, I think a 2-pound coffee can would hold the lot, and the biggest chunk wouldn't cover a dime.

On another subject, 12z GFS bumped area qpf to 1.5-2.5".  I'll be at a men's retreat at Pittston Farm, 35 miles NW from Greenville, tomorrow thru Saturday noon.  Looks like a wet time, and could be dicey on the 20 miles of woods roads coming south.  (If the event overperforms, even the paved roads may have challenging places.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

St johns is the foggiest cloudiest windiest and snowiest city in canada. Not the wettest though. Also has the most hours of freezing rain and drizzle. I havent been to st pierre yet. Its on the list though. 

Wettest is on the BC coast?  And I'm guessing that "snowiest" has a population threshold, like SYR being cited as the snowiest in the US (for cities of 100,000+.)  Does St. John's get the most in NFLD?  More than the east shores of Superior and Huron?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I been to S shore beaches ...they all blow compared to Newport . Not close . Surf is a joke .

pasty Irish folk w SPF 80 , water temps 60 at Best , no babes moo-moo’s and screaming children ...just pitiful 

I like W Falmouth beaches, except for the crowds....water temps sometimes mid-hi 70's, sandy not rocky, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Looking at the webcam at Bishops Motel in Jackman its snowing up there today.

Snowing up on the mountain up here.  Half inch coating or so for the picnic tables.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Wettest is on the BC coast?  And I'm guessing that "snowiest" has a population threshold, like SYR being cited as the snowiest in the US (for cities of 100,000+.)  Does St. John's get the most in NFLD?  More than the east shores of Superior and Huron?

Yeah snowiest city. Definitely not snowiest place. Snowiest on the Avalon Peninsula but less snowy than much of central and western Newfoundland. Probably less than the east shore of superior but id guess more than off Huron. (Superior Provinicial Park has to be in excess of 200 inches.)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I agree with Pickles about RI beaches.  Best in New England, although I don't know the ones in CT.

Second Beach in Middletown (Sacusett) is my favorite in New England

Beaches beaches of Truro and P-Town are spectacular.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Beaches beaches of Truro and P-Town are spectacular.

 Cape has amazing beaches. I’m not going to Rhode Island for a 3 foot swell. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A balmy 57F at 2am this morning, and then 43F this afternoon with valley rain and summit snow showers.

Felt like we went back to late-October type day after the past two beauties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Great avatar! Enjoy the season 

Thanks, I hope you are having an enjoyable and safe summer too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Another A+ night, windows open and grill fired up.  55.3

 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Thanks, I hope you are having an enjoyable and safe summer too.

When I post that in the summer, some will find it far too cold to be an A+ night ;).  55F at 8pm and 40s in the morning...the horror!  Shut the windows, get the shawls!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

 

When I post that in the summer, some will find it far too cold to be an A+ night ;).  55F at 8pm and 40s in the morning...the horror!  Shut the windows, get the shawls!

Yeah, summer up there in the high country is high 30s to 50s at night with 60s to maybe up to 80s by day. You'll see an isolated 90/70 but not many. We're still early summer so improvement is coming,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tamarack said:

2-3 cubs is the norm, but 4s aren't all that unusual and even 5s have been recorded.  Those 2 cubs look like yearlings - ones born this past winter would be housecat-size, or smaller.
 

Going back through the pictures and videos today there are definitely at least 5 and it almost looked like 3 different sizes.  I assume they must all be the same family?   I definitely will be very careful with compost bins and food items the next few weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×