Most Online
    mistral89
    Newest Member
    mistral89

Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

:o

978C3073-3C88-4DD4-897C-96A8BE41B083.jpeg

Had the yellow female first which made me stare out the window for 20 mins waiting for a male.

Congrats! I've seen more tanagers this week than in the preceding ten years. Also tons of yellowthroats, Cape May warblers, a couple blackburnians and the hummingbirds are back in force.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's sneaky good at times. Flies under the radar. Big gradient in northeast RI but Cumberland is typically on the better side of things....esp N of 295. 

Either way, as long as it's not a total ratter, his first winter should feel pretty snowy there. 

Last 20 yr average here is 61, imagine Fozz will be similar above 400 ft. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's sneaky good at times. Flies under the radar. Big gradient in northeast RI but Cumberland is typically on the better side of things....esp N of 295. 

Either way, as long as it's not a total ratter, his first winter should feel pretty snowy there. 

I'm going to be looking around Cumberland Hill.. seems like a very nice location. I have a feeling that next winter will be a good one. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

In any case, good to have you up here Fozz. May 14-15 come again.

I was just going to say, now that I'll be up north, I'm suddenly going to love Miller Bs and dread the thought of a 2009-10 repeat. I was actually lucky enough to go up to New England for the Feb 2013 blizzard (commonly called Nemo) back when AmyB still lived in Mass and I stayed at her place (total was 27"), but the rest of the time I've been on the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

RI really has some beautiful spots too. Newport is the place to be in the summer. Tons of stuff to do. I love that town. They have a great jazz fest among other stuff. Maybe bond with old school TWC music lol.

I'm really looking forward to all of it. The RI beaches, Boston, the GTGs with you guys, not to mention the skiing. 

On 5/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, dendrite said:

:o

978C3073-3C88-4DD4-897C-96A8BE41B083.jpeg

Had the yellow female first which made me stare out the window for 20 mins waiting for a male.

Such beautiful birds.  These were the ones I mentioned last week.  

20190511_111310_b.jpg

15 hours ago, Fozz said:

I'm going to be looking around Cumberland Hill.. seems like a very nice location. I have a feeling that next winter will be a good one. 

I was just going to say, now that I'll be up north, I'm suddenly going to love Miller Bs and dread the thought of a 2009-10 repeat. I was actually lucky enough to go up to New England for the Feb 2013 blizzard (commonly called Nemo) back when AmyB still lived in Mass and I stayed at her place (total was 27"), but the rest of the time I've been on the outside looking in.

I'm really looking forward to all of it. The RI beaches, Boston, the GTGs with you guys, not to mention the skiing. 

2015 was kind of like 2010 for you guys except it lasted a bit longer and had and extra 3-4 feet of snow in the process. Think 90-110 inches in 3 weeks instead of 40-60". Pretty crazy stuff for both areas actually compared to climo.

Those stretches are rare so prob not happening again anytime soon but you'll prob see some 35-40" months within the next 2-3 years unless we get unlucky. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

2015 was kind of like 2010 for you guys except it lasted a bit longer and had and extra 3-4 feet of snow in the process. Think 90-110 inches in 3 weeks instead of 40-60". Pretty crazy stuff for both areas actually compared to climo.

Those stretches are rare so prob not happening again anytime soon but you'll prob see some 35-40" months within the next 2-3 years unless we get unlucky. 

Hope he doesn't get the "Zucker" treatment - taught one year in SW NH, Monadnock country, and anticipated big snow.  It was 2011-12 and he saw less than he had the previous 2 seasons in the NY metro (where he's back to.)

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Hope he doesn't get the "Zucker" treatment - taught one year in SW NH, Monadnock country, and anticipated big snow.  It was 2011-12 and he saw less than he had the previous 2 seasons in the NY metro (where he's back to.)

I forgot about that.  That was a classic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Welcome, Fozz. 

Between the posts of DIT and Dr. Dew, you'll think that you're still in the middle of a deadly MA heatwave all summer. 

:)

Everybody installs....sometimes

4 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Frickin mosquitos are out

Bug net clothing had to come out today. It’s just a wall of black flies out there. 

M1/4SM +BF

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Bug net clothing had to come out today. It’s just a wall of black flies out there. 

M1/4SM +BF

Haven't hit up here yet but they are coming.  

Still no bugs, enjoying it while it lasts.

We actually don’t really have those down here thank God. My first encounter with them was up at the lake. My son got mauled by them and was bleeding too. Those ****ers are nasty.

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I figured 2015 was an extreme anomaly... I recall something like 4 HECS in the span of a month. Unless we God forbid get another stretch like the 80s to early 90s, I'm feeling pretty good about the winters here. If we're somehow due for more -NAO blocking in the winter months (which has been lacking in recent years), that'll be even better.

19 hours ago, tamarack said:

For years that has been my biggest (irrational) fear of moving north... that once I get there I'll get skunked. I hope Zucker stayed for at least a few years afterwards since the following winters were much better.

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

For years that has been my biggest (irrational) fear of moving north... that once I get there I'll get skunked. I hope Zucker stayed for at least a few years afterwards since the following winters were much better.

Goes both ways...aviation dave brought good luck with him in 07-08 and 08-09. Then he moved down to the DC area in 09-10 and we know what happened then.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Goes both ways...aviation dave brought good luck with him in 07-08 and 08-09. Then he moved down to the DC area in 09-10 and we know what happened then.

Yep, and then after he moved to North Carolina they enjoyed a number of good winters (for them at least).

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

A great show ruined by a subpar final season and a horrendous final episode.

Sonoran heat release from Drogon though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, Lava Rock said:

Helping a humming bird after window strike. After 10min, he flew off31865.jpg

A bird in the hand is worth two in her bush?

19 hours ago, Fozz said:

Yep, and then after he moved to North Carolina they enjoyed a number of good winters (for them at least).

WXblue brought the good juju when he moved up here from the Carolinas to Dover that first winter.

Didn't take long to remember how much i hated climbing up the roof to service my weather station, Had to take down my old one that half the sensors were no longer working and had been offline for two years to put up my new one, Glad its only an occasional climb up there, I'm not a fan of heights even when i was younger.

12 minutes ago, w1pf said:

I think the Wunderground radar link structure has changed, so if you are using bookmarks they are now pointing at the bitbucket..

Lol. Thanks but what does that mean? I did have it marked on phone 

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

A great show ruined by a subpar final season and a horrendous final episode.

Why bring Seinfeld into this?

This rainbow just appeared outside of my office window in Springfield.  Note the end does not intersect with MGM.

IMG_2939.thumb.JPG.d6fd08b7d7fec91a45ef8dfbdf0b948f.JPG

9 hours ago, dryslot said:

Didn't take long to remember how much i hated climbing up the roof to service my weather station, Had to take down my old one that half the sensors were no longer working and had been offline for two years to put up my new one, Glad its only an occasional climb up there, I'm not a fan of heights even when i was younger.

Yeah, not a big fan myself.  Usually have to go up once a year to blow pine needles out of the gullies.