• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Thunder struck
    Newest Member
    Thunder struck

Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Already .17" thru the tipper this morning from the overnight.

Already a trace in drizzle here.  Planted most of the garden Saturday, and since then it's been cool, mostly cloudy, with little precip - not the best recipe for good growth.  Reminds me of one June in Ft. Kent that had endless cool drizzle but less than half normal precip.  Only question was whether the tomatoes would die from wind-whipping, drought or mildew.  We head for some time with the grandkids next week, so the garden will be on its own.  Lilacs just opening up, 1st time here that they waited until June.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Already a trace in drizzle here.  Planted most of the garden Saturday, and since then it's been cool, mostly cloudy, with little precip - not the best recipe for good growth.  Reminds me of one June in Ft. Kent that had endless cool drizzle but less than half normal precip.  Only question was whether the tomatoes would die from wind-whipping, drought or mildew.  We head for some time with the grandkids next week, so the garden will be on its own.  Lilacs just opening up, 1st time here that they waited until June.

My Rhoddys are just opening up which is late, My garden is in containers, So its well underway, If i had to plant in the ground, I still wouldn't be able to till it, My soil is all clay based, So i would have to do boxes, Tomato's and Strawberries in these two pics.

Tomatos 2019.jpg

Strawberries 2019.jpg

I’m experimenting with some white grow bags this year. It should extend my season since I can pick them up in the fall and bring them into the garage when there’s a threat of frost. 

96199A74-0E93-4D65-B308-4EA8F38EC07B.jpeg

And the rhodies are well into bloom here. This was yesterday. 

FB339B62-9056-44CE-9E8C-0389AA5B8CA6.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m experimenting with some white grow bags this year. It should extend my season since I can pick them up in the fall and bring them into the garage when there’s a threat of frost. 

96199A74-0E93-4D65-B308-4EA8F38EC07B.jpeg

And the rhodies are well into bloom here. This was yesterday. 

FB339B62-9056-44CE-9E8C-0389AA5B8CA6.jpeg

Grow bags are good as well, Makes things easier and contains the soil, On the peppers i did, Ace, Jalapeno's, Bananna and Pepperoncini's

Nice. I have some red & orange bell, a banana, and a jalapeno. I could use a little warmth because everything has been fairly stunted for a couple weeks.

My garden faces SW, So it gets plenty of sun and heat in their, Temps have been in the mid 70's during the day in the garden and will reach 100°F once we are in the high 70's, Mid 80's here for air temps, So it really becomes a hot house plus i have a recipe that i have been using for my potting mix that has great success, This is mid July's growth on Peppers, Tomatoes and Cukes.

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Where are the MA residents ganja garden pictures?  If I heard correct you can grow up to 6 plants legally now? I know a few on here probably have some crops growing...

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Where are the MA residents ganja garden pictures?  If I heard correct you can grow up to 6 plants legally now? I know a few on here probably have some crops growing...

Oh, You mean like my other garden?   lol

Dope.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today my thoughts are with all of our heros who saved our freedom at Normandy. Never forget their sacrifices to save our values and way of life

• Like 5

5 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

CT, step your game up and let us grow.

Legalization failed again, time for the people to step up and vote a referendum 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Complacent state. Do nothing until it’s the last resort. See that with our highway infrastructure and public transit system. 

My 15 year old pool pump shit the bed and the filter connection to the pump cracked so I put a new pump and sand filter in. Have only used DE so its my first experience with sand. Any pointers will be appreciated 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:06 AM, Ginx snewx said:

In the meantime you can just drive to MA....

Billboard on 91 in New Haven to remind you...

375x250.jpg

• Haha 1

So what do we have for native pine borers in northern/central New England? I can literally hear these things chewing away at logs inside my chicken run. Unfortunately one of them has made it up inside the fascia of my coop and there’s a continual stream of pine shavings raining down. What’s the likely culprit and what’s the best way to exterminate it? I have some spray permethrin and neem I could use.

600011E8-2B82-4489-9C48-1BF3B0CD9341.jpeg

image.thumb.png.33ebc8deec0322434167d8d549a09073.png                                                                                    409 works good too

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So what do we have for native pine borers in northern/central New England? I can literally hear these things chewing away at logs inside my chicken run. Unfortunately one of them has made it up inside the fascia of my coop and there’s a continual stream of pine shavings raining down. What’s the likely culprit and what’s the best way to exterminate it? I have some spray permethrin and neem I could use.

600011E8-2B82-4489-9C48-1BF3B0CD9341.jpeg

Likely powder post beetles, distantly related to Asian longhorned beetle but a native that rarely reaches outbreak proportions.  Larvae make nice pencil-thick holes in wood.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Likely powder post beetles, distantly related to Asian longhorned beetle but a native that rarely reaches outbreak proportions.  Larvae make nice pencil-thick holes in wood.

Saw this guy (gal) there later. I let one of the chickens eat it, but I could still hear the gnawing above after the ant became dinner. Could carpenter ants be that loud too? I saw a few of those inch long ones today. 

F8922724-903C-4794-9039-4016EE71E0BF.png

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Saw this guy (gal) there later. I let one of the chickens eat it, but I could still hear the gnawing above after the ant became dinner. Could carpenter ants be that loud too? I saw a few of those inch long ones today. 

F8922724-903C-4794-9039-4016EE71E0BF.png

Tis the season for winged ants.  We've had carpenter ants at our place and never heard the chomping like that of the powder post beetles.  (We got rid of the ants, for now, by placing little trays - margarine lids work great - filled with a borax/sugar mix.  The ants come for the sugar but take both substances back to the nest and the borax does them in.  Place the stuff with care - last year we found a dead mouse lying in one of the trays.  If it can kill a mouse, it isn't safe for pets/kids.)   Piles of spruce, fir or pine sitting in the July sun are often filled with sounds of chewing beetle larvae.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Tis the season for winged ants.  We've had carpenter ants at our place and never heard the chomping like that of the powder post beetles.  (We got rid of the ants, for now, by placing little trays - margarine lids work great - filled with a borax/sugar mix.  The ants come for the sugar but take both substances back to the nest and the borax does them in.  Place the stuff with care - last year we found a dead mouse lying in one of the trays.  If it can kill a mouse, it isn't safe for pets/kids.)   Piles of spruce, fir or pine sitting in the July sun are often filled with sounds of chewing beetle larvae.

I dropped a big pine last summer and left the cut up remains out in the back. Some of those big cut pieces ended up in the run for places for the chooks to perch on. There's a couple logs in there now where I can hear the chomping. I guess one of those beetles migrated its way to my coop. :axe:

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I dropped a big pine last summer and left the cut up remains out in the back. Some of those big cut pieces ended up in the run for places for the chooks to perch on. There's a couple logs in there now where I can hear the chomping. I guess one of those beetles migrated its way to my coop. :axe:

Probably a lot more than one.  :o