Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

??? Lost me here. EPS does drop the pv west of the lakes but it is a very quick shot of above normal (3-5 degrees) but that is it.

Does the pv ooze east or does it dip and head back n? 12 days ago ens were spitting out insane cold for the period centered around Jan 27 give or take a day. Mean 2m temp anomalies were consistently 10-15 BN. Now look at that period. 27th is actually ~10AN. That's quite a reversal. It gets seasonally cold behind the fropa early next week but nothing like what was being depicted before. 

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Does the pv ooze east of dip and head back n? 12 days ago end were spitting out insane cold for the period centered around Jan 27 give or take a day. Mean 2m temp anomalies were consistently 10-15 BN. Now look at that period. 27th is actually ~10AN. That's quite a reversal. It gets seasonally cold behind the fropa early next week but nothing like what was being depicted before. 

Guess I am just dense but I don't see what you are saying on either the EPS or the GEFS. EPS has a quick shot of warmth on the 29th but that is it. And both the 00z and 06z GEFS are below normal around the 27th.

eta: looking at 850s.

32 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Scanning through the EPS members, it seems there is a pretty even spread of to far north, direct hits, and south of our region for the 6-10 day period.  I think it's silly to right off because of GFS run.

I’m writing it off based on a very accurate telleconnection I’ve developed over the years called the JB BS index. Within the last 24 hours he has wasted a significant amount of time arguing about the EXACT low temperature in NYC and Chicago during one day transient cold shots as if it’s REALLY important and as if people actually give a sh!t whether it’s 4 or -1 degrees.  That puts the JBBS index at extremely high levels which is a bad sign for snow prospects in the 95 corridor. I’ve found the JBBS index to have one of the highest negative correlations to snow of every telleconnection!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I’m writing it off based on a very accurate telleconnection I’ve developed over the years called the JB BS index. Within the last 24 hours he has wasted a significant amount of time arguing about the EXACT low temperature in NYC and Chicago during one day transient cold shots as if it’s REALLY important and as if people actually give a sh!t whether it’s 4 or -1 degrees.  That puts the JBBS index at extremely high levels which is a bad sign for snow prospects in the 95 corridor. I’ve found the JBBS index to have one of the highest negative correlations to snow of every telleconnection!

Maybe we should just say that it looks like 93, that seems be a better JBI (JB Index) to correlate to storm that will end up looking nothing like 93 and boom! South and snow!

8 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Maybe we should just say that it looks like 93, that seems be a better JBI (JB Index) to correlate to storm that will end up looking nothing like 93 and boom! South and snow!

Lol he pulls out 93 EVERYTIME there is a deep trough in the east. It’s crazy. I can’t remember a single winter he didn’t throw that analog out just because a somewhat deep trough was coming. How does that keep working?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

While u r correct it is active, the 6z GFS is a 50 shades of fail run and has almost every conceivable scenario thru the run in which could possibly just miss out on all the action. Eventually you would think one wave will break for us. 

It is an incredibly heart breaking run. Everyone gets snow but our immediate area.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

Doesnt last long...by D10/11 it degrades pretty quick.  But...op run post D10.  So, happy hour will probably be dif..lol

Interesting , in the Good old days of 2003 it would form and last 14 days and retrograde.  You could back then count on the -NAO to help with the pattern predictions and forecasts.  

Just now, frd said:

Interesting , in the Good old days of 2003 it would form and last 14 days and retrograde.  You could back then count on the -NAO to help with the pattern predictions and forecasts.  

That’s before NOAA and the Illuminati changed the weather rules to permanently nerf high pressures. Now a 1010mb “area of scattered showers” can easily shove aside a 1040mb arctic high like a chump and ram straight into Canada. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, frd said:

Its really not a legit block. With the TPV rotating around and continuously spinning off lobes, transient ridging pops in the NAO domain, but then gets displaced by another vortex rotating through. That said, do this enough and eventually something could time up-a southern wave moving across with a vortex near 50-50 and +heights above it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Doesnt last long...by D10/11 it degrades pretty quick.  But...op run post D10.  So, happy hour will probably be dif..lol

dunno the idea that the pattern will break down quick has been rock solid on all guidance and moving closer in time for 4/5 days now.  At this point "maybe its wrong" is becoming a less convincing argument.  I think the better hope is we score something before and then its a quick reshuffle.  

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its really not a legit block. With the TPV rotating around and continuously spinning off lobes, transient ridging pops in the NAO domain, but then gets displaced by another vortex rotating through. That said, do this enough and eventually something could time up- with a vortex near 50-50 and +heights above it.

yea... I made that graphics post in the long range thread about it...the ridging up there in the medium range isnt actually a block its just an extension of the ridge from the atlantic over the top of the displaced 50/50 but its not a dominant feature and is bossed around as the strong TPV rotates around up there.  We could time something up but the windows will be much shorter than if we had a true stable nao block.  

• Like 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

That’s before NOAA and the Illuminati changed the weather rules to permanently nerf high pressures. Now a 1010mb “area of scattered showers” can easily shove aside a 1040mb arctic high like a chump and ram straight into Canada. 

Very true, the illuminati have indeed changed the equation. Once what was possible is now inversly improbable. The laws of physics as we know them have evolved. Blocks are not blocks, but some fluid transparent element, no doubt orhestrated by Mr Smith.    

Ha ha but really it is what psu and CAPE said.  

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic