Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

dunno the idea that the pattern will break down quick has been rock solid on all guidance and moving closer in time for 4/5 days now.  At this point "maybe its wrong" is becoming a less convincing argument.  I think the better hope is we score something before and then its a quick reshuffle.  

Dont disagree with that at all.  Though, I will say..."maybe it's wrong" is the best way to approach any panel on an op run post D10 and here lately that seems to apply to ens runs as well.  But saying its probably wrong does no imply that the only other option is epic blocking.

Some thoughts:

Seeing that we'll have some cold anomalies hanging around here the next 6-10 days and potential "bootleg blocking" I think our best chance for accumulating snow in dc/metro is a redeveloping clipper.

When looking at the gefs means our best chance at 500mb (Imo) is a vort that swings down on the NS and then (times) hits a bootleg block. The +pna will add favorability to this idea considering the ridge is riding high all the way to almost Alaska for crying out loud. Additionally, if a vort can dig hard enough in the NS and then have just a slight and brief relaxation in the pna, then we might be able to get that thing to turn the coast and get a 3-6" deal. The most logical outcome though, however, is it turns too early and rides the gradient that might be in the wrong place (if the WAR is still pushing back).

Just an idea, but to summarize 1) cold air, 2) +pna 3) NS vort digs, 4) bootleg block = 3-6"

The thing is we probably wouldn't see the details of this scenario till like 72-112 hours out. If that idea does even exist

Wouldn't that be nice

Just now, psuhoffman said:

yea... I made that graphics post in the long range thread about it...the ridging up there in the medium range isnt actually a block its just an extension of the ridge from the atlantic over the top of the displaced 50/50 but its not a dominant feature and is bossed around as the strong TPV rotates around up there.  We could time something up but the windows will be much shorter than if we had a true stable nao block.  

Yeah and as we have discussed, it remains to be seen if a stable block ever develops. I know we both have doubts, as does Showme I think. Since the Nino is essentially a fail, the late winter -NAO teleconnection doesn't really work. My optimism for legit NA block developing was based largely on that idea. I think we are probably going to have to settle for something transient/ semi-stable, maybe a few days or a week, and hope a significant wave moves up during that period.

3 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Some thoughts:

Seeing that we'll have some cold anomalies hanging around here the next 6-10 days and potential "bootleg blocking" I think our best chance for accumulating snow in dc/metro is a redeveloping clipper.

When looking at the gefs means our best chance at 500mb (Imo) is a vort that swings down on the NS and then (times) hits a bootleg block. The +pna will add favorability to this idea considering the ridge is riding high all the way to almost Alaska for crying out loud. Additionally, if a vort can dig hard enough in the NS and then have just a slight and brief relaxation in the pna, then we might be able to get that thing to turn the coast and get a 3-6" deal. The most logical outcome though, however, is it turns too early and rides the gradient that might be in the wrong place (if the WAR is still pushing back).

Just an idea, but to summarize 1) cold air, 2) +pna 3) NS port digs, 4) bootleg block = 3-6"

The thing is we probably wouldn't see the details of this scenario till like 72-112 hours out. If that idea does even exist

Wouldn't that be nice

Good points, and this is something to think about as well. 

4 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Sorry, I don't follow. I don't know what RMMs means so

Sorry, HM is stating that different MJO charts and forecasts will vary in the predictions of where the MJO will head.  To add to that not only might the phase be forecasted incorrectly but the amplitude might be incorrect as well.

Models use the MJO in the forecasts they generate, as you know, and a slightly off amp can cause issues, let alone the incorrect forecast of what phase the MJO will be in say two weeks from now.   

To simply look at what a model is forecastig for the MJO and not to consider other tools in addition, plus the weather pattern and evolution will lead to an incorrect forecast.This winter, so far, the MJO forecasts have been a big issue.   

5 minutes ago, frd said:

Sorry, HM is stating that different MJO charts and forecasts will vary in the predictions of where the MJO will head.  To add to that not only might the phase be forecasted incorrectly but the amplitude might be incorrect as well.

Models use the MJO in the forecasts they generate, as you know, and a slightly off amp can cause issues, let alone the incorrect forecast of what phase the MJO will be in say two weeks from now.   

To simply look at what a model is forecastig for the MJO and not to consider other tools in addition, plus the weather pattern and evolution will lead to an incorrect forecast.This winter, so far, the MJO forecasts have been a big issue.   

Got it.

Yes, that makes sense.. good point.

And the mjo has seemed to be tough to predict this year and each model has handled it very differently. I saw the recent gfs (I believe) push us into a more favorable phase (7?). My knowledge base ends at the definition of mjo and to a much lesser extent do I know how to integrate its content.

• Like 1

More to ponder 

But one thing seems certain a DIVE in the AO to rather negative soon, but it seems the SSWE has a role in the not so negative NAO, per Amy.

Replying to @DrAHButler

Nice analysis. Yeah, the way that the polar vortex split - I think this is directly resulting in a downward propagation of a similar signal, which wasn't quite a strong -NAO. That's why you still see cold in Europe and North America, but not necessarily a Greenland block.

2 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

Yup.  Absolutely nothing to track in what should be prime winter.  Unfortunately looks like we head into a dry pattern after next week’s rain.

lol we have 9.5 days of cold in the next 10 and the .5 of it is rain

@frd they are just confirming what we were talking about earlier that the tpv where it is is destructive to our chances at an NAO. Now they are going further and linking causality to the sswe. Ain’t that the kick in the nads. So the sswe didn’t save us it killed our epic pattern!  

I don’t actually know. I’m not going to pretend to say the sswe is why the tpv is there, they are the “experts” but I do know it being there is killing our chances at meaningful blocking and the epo ridge is not centered in a good location for us absent blocking. That one fail changed “epic” to “serviceable” at best. 

Too many unproven indexes used and offered as the savior or the destructor. After being lambasted about my “10 days away” commentary which I began around Christmas, I have turned out to be exactly right. MJO and SSW and NAO either in tandem or cherry picked are simply unproven as to outcomes for our area.

• Like 3

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@frd they are just confirming what we were talking about earlier that the tpv where it is is destructive to our chances at an NAO. Now they are going further and linking causality to the sswe. Ain’t that the kick in the nads. So the sswe didn’t save us it killed our epic pattern!  

I don’t actually know. I’m not going to pretend to say the sswe is why the tpv is there, they are the “experts” but I do know it being there is killing our chances at meaningful blocking and the epo ridge is not centered in a good location for us absent blocking. That one fail changed “epic” to “serviceable” at best. 

we would of been better off not having this PV split. We have not seen cold from it...we have not seen snow from it except for a fluke that gave you flurries. What has it given us? The split occured in late December and January has been warm. The next 10 days are gonna be cold but we get some cold every winter no matter what.

I

• Like 2

Just now, Ji said:

we would of been better off not having this PV split. We have not seen cold from it...we have not seen snow from it except for a fluke that gave you flurries. What has it given us? The split occured in late December and January has been warm. The next 10 days are gonna be cold but we get some cold every winter no matter what.

I

Agreed.  I never understood the hype of SSWE.  They rarely help and hurt more often than not.  Will be really interesting to study all the things that made this winter fail so badly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, WEATHER53 said:

Too many unproven indexes used and offered as the savior or the destructor. After being lambasted about my “10 days away” commentary which I began around Christmas, I have turned out to be exactly right. MJO and SSW and NAO either in tandem or cherry picked are simply unproven as to outcomes for our area.

I don’t agree about the indices, but I’m with you on this 10 days away business.  That’s for the birds now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Snowstorm5921 said:

I don’t control the weather Bob.  Direct your anger elsewhere.

I have zero anger whatsoever. I'll spell it our clearly for you though. You apparently 1) lack reading comprehension skills 2) enjoy being somewhere where not a single person enjoys your company 3) don't have an ounce of common courtesy or respect 4) contribute absolutely nothing on a daily basis 5) really want to be banned for some reason

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic