Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

7 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

I think GFS ended up right for the wrong reasons for that one - none of the models handled how far out from center of main system the warm air push was occurring.  GFS I believe had a more northern track which was going to allow for rain anyway.  The signs were there the day before that warm air was pushing well out and away from center of system so that is one thing I want to watch today - how well models are handling the 700/850/etc layer temps to the south as precip is inching northward.

absolutely.  You got the right idea bud.  If the column warms a little more or a little sooner, than the colorful maps will lose some color no doubt.  I think we have a little wiggle, but not a lot w/ this.  Still thing Mag to ITP is best line for best accums.

GFS is out and it is still a major snow for much of Central PA....not so much to the east but I remember lots of people suggesting the GFS's ability to properly maintain and forecast CAD is an issue.  Either way here it is for anyone waiting.  This is at 33 hours just after we lost 700MB in and near the LSV.

image.png.e9a70dd7ebd62af53355c069184eadaa.png

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Ive spent less time in the MA forums, but i bet they are gettin a bit nervous.  

They are and funny enough they were talking about whether someone was gonna hit 12+ just yesterday. Now they are freaking out that they may only see 3-5 and I'm over here hoping to beat our season high of 3. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

They are and funny enough they were talking about whether someone was gonna hit 12+ just yesterday. Now they are freaking out that they may only see 3-5 and I'm over here hoping to beat our season high of 3. 

This is why I always want it to rain there.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Here is CTP’s latest snow map at 1035am

I wonder when they upgrade us to a Winter Storm Warning?

BB8E0A8D-38B8-4B82-A6D8-5FC45E53DA23.png

That to me looks like they think it’s a southern special and aren’t buying the 12z shift north.

Somerset to raystown special verbatim. Still think areas just north to say state college get it good

5 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Quick ob

its 31/6 here.   I love seeing the dews so low before the event.   

That's a great ob.  DP maps confirm singles and low teens for the whole state.  I think the GFS depiction of the surface getting above freezing tomorrow is very suspect....for the eastern 2/3 of the state. 

image.png.bfe673ba135222e6d51d3fce08f56b76.png

I see [mention=9895]MillvilleWx[/mention]is posting in the MA thread but ignoring us - his old friends. What do you predict up here? 

Hey Canderson! You sent the bat signal lol. I’ve been posting in that thread and looking into my home area more since I have a lot of family friends down there that ask for my forecasts. So I stay in tuned. I was actually going to pop in this evening and give you my thoughts after I look at more up there. Been busy with NWS. I go for my radar certification next week in Norman and actually take my Workshop Primer today. I’ll give y’all the scoop tonight! Looks snowy and icy, that’s for sure. Talk to you all tonight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bubbler86 said:

GFS is out and it is still a major snow for much of Central PA....not so much to the east but I remember lots of people suggesting the GFS's ability to properly maintain and forecast CAD is an issue.  Either way here it is for anyone waiting.  This is at 33 hours just after we lost 700MB in and near the LSV.

image.png.e9a70dd7ebd62af53355c069184eadaa.png

Last night We was loosing the cold at 39 hours.

49 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

That to me looks like they think it’s a southern special and aren’t buying the 12z shift north.

Somerset to raystown special verbatim. Still think areas just north to say state college get it good

Nut I agree it looks like State College is in a pretty good spot. 

45 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hey Canderson! You sent the bat signal lol. I’ve been posting in that thread and looking into my home area more since I have a lot of family friends down there that ask for my forecasts. So I stay in tuned. I was actually going to pop in this evening and give you my thoughts after I look at more up there. Been busy with NWS. I go for my radar certification next week in Norman and actually take my Workshop Primer today. I’ll give y’all the scoop tonight! Looks snowy and icy, that’s for sure. Talk to you all tonight!

Good Luck!  Wish you well!  I have appreciated your input (and missed it).  Can't wait to see what you say tonight!

Final call...

Been watching (and posting!) a lot of models the last 3 days to try and derive how they depict moisture getting up into the PA area.  It seems the trend is for two general blobs of moisture with one mostly bypassing us to the south and the other concentrating in the southern half of PA (if you toss the Nam's depiction which is much different).  Jetstream maps seem to keep the entrance regions of the jet steak a bit north of PA so it comes down to frontogenesis and qpf being thrown over our cold dome.  My opinion is that S Central PA is in the bullseye right now especially near the MD line so…all of  this is before ice.  The Euro has about 1.5" of qpf for most of us so there is a lot of ice (and some rain) on top of this. 

@Cashtown_Coop, @bubbler86  7-9" with some near one foot totals near the area.

@MAG5035  6-8"

@CarlislePaWx @Blizzard of 93 5-7"

@canderson @djr5001 @sauss06, @2001kx, @paweather, @daxx, @Voyager 4-6"

@Wmsptwx  @pasnownut, @pawatch 3-5"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1