Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah, I'd think Seven Springs, Raystown, Magville and of course that cashtown snowhog would have best chance at crackin a double digit number (and 10-11" would me max IMO).  With antecedent cold I always get concerned at how long it can hold, and as currently modeled, you need best forcing before column becomes marginal, and thats a couple hour window.  This isnt CCB's, so ratios would likely be 10:1, maybe 12:1 for a short period of time.  

Again, I'm not being a Deb, I'm being honest w/ myself and keeping expectations in check (one only needs to look back to last weeks bust and realize that this storm shares similarities), but as a whole still has better potential.  Its a nice storm all the same, and in this tough winter in the LSV, I'll take it just as modeled.

Thanks for the shout out Nut.   What beer do you drink high life?   Get a 12 pack set back and watch it snow.   It’s coming for you !!

1 hour ago, AllWeather said:

I think you guys have a pretty good handle on it. Reminds me of the November storm. I like 4-8” across the LSV before changing over. More in northern/western spots, especially at elevations. I’ve always tends to underperform from models but could see some 0.25” amounts with a few spots more than that in the typical sheltered “bowls”. 

Good morning AllWeather

Good seeing you in here, thanks for your thoughts on the storm!

You sure have had a tough winter, 

9 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

How about the euro.   It has been rock steady for 3 days now.   When it’s locked in like that, I wouldn’t bet against it. 

Yeah a compromise between it and the unwaivering NAM is a great event no doubt.  The continuity surely lifts one spirits to the likeliness that "its happening".  One thing i do like is that 40S is in the game, so that tells me were not sitting on the razor this time.  Even if we dont get best lift/forcing, we still get into some decent snow and a few hours of sleet, then a brief transition to zr before we flip to non frozen at the tail end.  For this kind of setup, thats about as good as one should expect w/ retreating HP.  

12 minutes ago, daxx said:

We really need this to come in hot and heavy from the start. If we wait for the heavy precip, 700s will be cooked by the time good precip gets here. Just me worrying I hope.

I totally agree w/ you.  Still looks like 2-3 hour window for thump so rack em up quick and pray for every hour after to hold onto snow.

13 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

The storm in mid January had the euro giving us a foot the night before it rained all day. The GFS completely nailed that storm.

^^^^ why we need to temper expectations.  Wasnt the Euro a little wobbly in the knees w/ that one tho?  Its been a rock for this one.  

15 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Thanks for the shout out Nut.   What beer do you drink high life?   Get a 12 pack set back and watch it snow.   It’s coming for you !!

thats my go staple, but now that we go to beer festies I've broadened my horizons greatly.  High life keeps me from getting "fluffy" in the middle....lol

Sauss n i both drink it, so we'll come crash your house in celebration of your jackpot.  We'll make yellow snowcones for you :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

thats my go staple, but now that we go to beer festies I've broadened my horizons greatly.  High life keeps me from getting "fluffy" in the middle....lol

Sauss n i both drink it, so we'll come crash your house in celebration of your jackpot.  We'll make yellow snowcones for you :P

I have a St. Bernard that sets land mines and turns my snow yellow.   Come on over and join the party.   

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

All the cool guys drink the Champagne of Beers :pimp:

I agree with the others, you sit in a good spot here. I'm trying to determine when the icing starts, looks maybe evening rush hour to me. Is that about right or am i looking all wrong? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, paweather said:

I would pay more attention to the upper levels than those snowfall maps.  If we get a good band over us early we will do well.  If we wait until afternoon the warm air surge at 700mb will cut snowfall totals back.  It would be a great sleet storm for awhile. Its just the nam there is plenty of models to go.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, daxx said:

I would pay more attention to the upper levels than those snowfall maps.  If we get a good band over us early we will do well.  If we wait until afternoon the warm air surge at 700mb will cut snowfall totals back.  It would be a great sleet storm for awhile. Its just the nam there is plenty of models to go.

To Daxx's point, here is the 700MB temp map when the snow is starting to run into issues.  The LSV has only had .2 to .3 of qpf fall at this point.  Just one model and part of the discussion.  In this map the green is above freezing. 

Capture.JPG

21 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, all. I am at my parents house in Danville this week, so I will be around to join you. Looking forward to being the eyes and ears for this area of the Susquehanna Valley.

leaving the snow capital of the east to come to the nickel and dime land known as the Susquehanna valley.  hope you enjoy your stay and maybe you'll bring us some good luck.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I don’t follow your area that close, did it lock on that idea for consecutive runs or was it a one run wonder? 

I think GFS ended up right for the wrong reasons for that one - none of the models handled how far out from center of main system the warm air push was occurring.  GFS I believe had a more northern track which was going to allow for rain anyway.  The signs were there the day before that warm air was pushing well out and away from center of system so that is one thing I want to watch today - how well models are handling the 700/850/etc layer temps to the south as precip is inching northward.

• Like 2