• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK Weekend Event - Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

Bob Chill

What we see here is the GFS 850 mb depiction for sunset on Saturday.  This seems to be the final moments for freezing precipitation before massive WAA sweeps the region.

So...my interpretation is that accumulating snow and then snow-sleet will be limited to the daytime hours on Saturday.  There continues to be very little end of event accumulating snow.

The LWX AFD suggests that a small number of ensemble members depict the low sagging a bit south of us, our "last-best-hope."

850.jpg

2 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

This threat is a rainstorm for all except MD/PA border people from all I am seeing. Yes, a little mixing, but I am just not convinced this is worth watching anymore.

I think most agree at this point! Unless we see something dramatic, we must say NEXT!

I guess you didnt see the euro??

7 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

This threat is a rainstorm for all except MD/PA border people from all I am seeing. Yes, a little mixing, but I am just not convinced this is worth watching anymore.

I think most agree at this point! Unless we see something dramatic, we must say NEXT!

okay, bye

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

You and the whole northern crew should squeeze some snow out of this. All snow is good snow. Except yellow snow, that's not very good. But otherwise, snow is wonderful lol

i always keep my expectations low in these types of setups. yes, i hang onto the cold longer than most, but even this storm i expect the flip to come eventually. as bob said overnight, pouring rain and temps at 31 aren't going to accrue too much ice, just runs off before freezing. id prefer that over a light drizzle at 31°

i have no faith in backend snow. if i can get a couple inches out of the front thump before the mix to rain, i consider it a win. 

• Like 3

Just now, mappy said:

i always keep my expectations low in these types of setups. yes, i hang onto the cold longer than most, but even this storm i expect the flip to come eventually. as bob said overnight, pouring rain and temps at 31 aren't going to accrue too much ice, just runs off before freezing. id prefer that over a light drizzle at 31°

i have no faith in backend snow. if i can get a couple inches out of the front thump before the mix to rain, i consider it a win. 

I think you should be able to do just that. And completely agree with the assessment of the ice. Despite the temps probably struggling to break out of the low 30's, heavy rain at those temps will have a hard time for accretion as the runoff and ponding will limit the growth of ice on the surface. Still could be a little slippery in spots for sure, but no power loss potential from ice alone. Euro was interesting for snow prospects as a 50-100 mile further south trek of the surface and H85 low would allow for a slightly longer duration snowfall. Ukie and Euro are almost on the same page in that regard and the very end of the NAM Nest was showing something similar in its H5 evolution. Will be interesting to see if the models can hone in on the overall evolution better today so we can start dissecting the thermal levels more for ptype changeover times and total accumulations. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

6z Euro looks meh. A few hours of snow maybe for the northern tier but no ice and no backside snow.

Orientation of the TPV slightly different on the 6z than 00z which allows for height rises along the EC, hence a "warmer" solution.  Something to pay attention to today for the mountains/81/north crew.

28 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Orientation of the TPV slightly different on the 6z than 00z which allows for height rises along the EC, hence a "warmer" solution.  Something to pay attention to today for the mountains/81/north crew.

Can you explain this in more detail.

This isn’t going to work out at all for the metro/I95 crew...track and eroding cold just doesn’t work. Now along the PA line where there’s still more snowpack and cold holds a little longer, I think 1-3 is possible in the east, meaning extreme northern Balt County, Harford and Cecil with 2-4 poss in west...northern Carroll, Frederick and Washington County

12km NAM is certainly more aggressive with erosion of cold air compared to the Nest, but the overall synoptic setup is similar, so I probably lean with the NAM Nest in the overall depiction. Basically an hour or two of snow for our western crew and 2-3 hours for the northern tier followed by ice. Small nose above freezing around 800mb should shift the ptype to sleet/ZR. H85 winds will be pretty brisk out of the south and southwest, so odds are some significant warming will occur in the latter frames of the Nest. However, the CAD wedge is pretty entrenched so temps will be slow to rise for areas north of I-70. A slightly colder onset would probably shift the ice potential to I-70, but the M/D line and 81 corridor will have the highest chance of impact for frozen. It's a shame this antecedent airmass isn't better leading in. This could've been a nice surprise.  

17 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

This isn’t going to work out at all for the metro/I95 crew...track and eroding cold just doesn’t work. Now along the PA line where there’s still more snowpack and cold holds a little longer, I think 1-3 is possible in the east, meaning extreme northern Balt County, Harford and Cecil with 2-4 poss in west...northern Carroll, Frederick and Washington County

Yeah this one didn't have much of a shot from the beginning, lol Figured we'd just be grasping at snow straws all week! Here's hoping we can get something NEXT week!

• H2O unpinned this topic