• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK Weekend Event - Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

Bob Chill

if the cad stays intact longer and is better than advertised, then the backside of this system could work out.  there's still plenty of precip around when temps start to crash.  it might just be a matter of how far they need to crash to changeover to snow.  i'd be pretty interested in this if i was the northern tier since there's a better chance of the cad holding on longer.  dc/bmore need some work.

13 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

The GFS  has us changing over to snow at 13z-14z Sunday per the precip-type maps on stormvista.   Precip departs between 18z-19z so it supports a period of back end snow, although rather light (<.1 QPF).  Could be some nice snowtv though as the arctic front comes through. 

that's what i'm thinking.  if we can change back over a few hours earlier than the gfs is showing, there might be enough precip to work with to make things interesting.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Oh well..living on the southern edge of snow 72 hours out is never a good place to be.  

I never felt like my yard stood a chance on this so it's easy to just let it happen and move on. If precip races out in front fast enough it might be pretty to look out the window for a couple hours then close the blinds when it flips. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I never felt like my yard stood a chance on this so it's easy to just let it happen and move on. If precip races out in front fast enough it might be pretty to look out the window for a couple hours then close the blinds when it flips. 

I am not really upset about this one...never liked it much once it became obvious what the setup was...but its still a bit frustrating to miss one storm just to the south and now another just to the north.  When this week if over a snowfall map is going to have a pretty depressing hole over my house.  I know no one in DC will sympathize with that but I am not used to being in the snowhole.  

• Like 3

Yeah, every single time I've been on the southern edge, it's jumped north at the last minute and ended up busting. Recent examples are October 2011, early Feb 2014, March 2017, and even the first round in March 2018 (though the second round compensated nicely).

So yeah, the UKMET and ICON are a big reach here.

7 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I still think a few inches are on the table for us though. 

I dunno...euro just pulled the rug out completely...it pretty much starts as liquid anywhere south of the MD line now.  No back end either.  Pretty significant shift north with 12z.  The 1-2" of snow south of the PA line on the euro map is from tonight.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I dunno...euro just pulled the rug out completely...it pretty much starts as liquid anywhere south of the MD line now.  No back end either.  Pretty significant shift north with 12z.  The 1-2" of snow south of the PA line on the euro map is from tonight.  

Yup

image.png.10e646e7d055447d7c640e59ee4289ac.png

12 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I still think a few inches are on the table for us though. 

You and I look to be hanging on by a thread, but recent trends are very much against this holding for another 60 hours.  This excludes tonight's snowfall, and I am sure some/ most of this is probably sleet:

euro.thumb.png.0f66ffbc717948c71d01e4f347200430.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WVclimo said:

You and I look to be hanging on by a thread, but recent trends are very much against this holding for another 60 hours.  This excludes tonight's snowfall, and I am sure some/ most of this is probably sleet:

Lol. Were toast. I was hoping having the euro/ukie on our side would yield better results but not looking that way.

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

This makes sense.

This storm always seemed to be your classic "north and west of the city" type storm. Climo argues for this type of stuff.

Plus they are way overdo for it. I drove in Southern NY state all the way up to Lake George was bare grass. It is their turn. But like PSU said, stinks being in the middle of two storms. There is an area now that will have cashed in on neither. Feel kind of bad for Philly.

29 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

This makes sense.

This storm always seemed to be your classic "north and west of the city" type storm. Climo argues for this type of stuff.

Plus they are way overdo for it. I drove in Southern NY state all the way up to Lake George was bare grass. It is their turn. But like PSU said, stinks being in the middle of two storms. There is an area now that will have cashed in on neither. Feel kind of bad for Philly.

Philly will be cashing in on Miller Bs so I would not feel bad for them... they usually get them a lot! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:

the Euro had central and upper Ohio in the 20 inch range a few days ago right @buckeye

The short range trend of moving the line NW has been a recurring theme this winter. The best place to be @ 48-72 hours is just to the NW of the heavy snow. Riding the mix line at 48-72 hours has been a disaster. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The short range trend of moving the line NW has been a recurring theme this winter. The best place to be @ 48-72 hours is just to the NW of the heavy snow. Riding the mix line at 48-72 hours has been a disaster. 

yep..the Dec 9 storm shifted North too but it shifted so far south that we were doomed even with that impressive shift back north

Just now, Ji said:

yep..the Dec 9 storm shifted North too but it shifted so far south that we were doomed even with that impressive shift back north

We were (obviously) in a perfect spot for last weekend. The mix line ended up verifying a good bit NW of what was originally thought just 2 days out. The WAA snow was heavier/wetter than we expected because of it but the shift NW is what put us in the jackpot zone. Pretty good tradeoff for most of us. 

• H2O unpinned this topic