• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clipper/Coastal Storm January 3-4th 2019

USCAPEWEATHERAF

It’s fascinating to me how northern central New England can score consistently more with this pattern , the further south one goes seems you need more and more ducks lining up

i would be interested to see what the futility record is for a season North of Concord NH (Dentrite land) , up to say Franklin and Plymouth 

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s fascinating to me how northern central New England can score consistently more with this pattern , the further south one goes seems you need more and more ducks lining up

i would be interested to see what the futility record is for a season North of Concord NH (Dentrite land) , up to say Franklin and Plymouth 

Actually it's mostly been northern New England based of mostly Mesoscale features verses Synoptic scale events but overall yes. Central New England hasn't done that great either.

Just now, Greg said:

Actually it's mostly been northern New England based of mostly Mesoscale features verses Synoptic scale events but overall yes. Central New England hasn't done that great either.

It wouldn't have taken much for SNE to get hit hard in the last two events....but that's what latitude does. The more you have, there's a little more margin for error on front enders and SWFE type storms. Theres years where we get hit just fine in those types of storms like '07-'08, '08-'09, and then there's patterns like this where we can't catch a break. 

This system is another. SNE is cold enough the majority of this system but we get "caught" between two areas of lift. There's no large scale longwave pattern that produces that outcome consistently. It's just atmospheric chaos conspiring against the snow enthusiasts in SNE. It happens...some years more often than others. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It wouldn't have taken much for SNE to get hit hard in the last two events....but that's what latitude does. The more you have, there's a little more margin for error on front enders and SWFE type storms. Theres years where we get hit just fine in those types of storms like '07-'08, '08-'09, and then there's patterns like this where we can't catch a break. 

This system is another. SNE is cold enough the majority of this system but we get "caught" between two areas of lift. There's no large scale longwave pattern that produces that outcome consistently. It's just atmospheric chaos conspiring against the snow enthusiasts in SNE. It happens...some years more often than others. 

Yea, the gradient idea in the first half has worked out great, it was just a bit too far north for us.

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We’ve said it a few times now, but SNE is living thru a DC type winter. AN temps and most storms missing to the north . All we can do is hope that storm track shifts south as the next 60 days move along 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg said:

NNE hasn't had a good December either.  We've just gotten something as opposed to nothing.  J.Spin's stats show how it was a below normal snow December up here, pretty decently.  

Places like CNH on northward are still riding the big November snows which is why the season totals are somewhat decent despite December.

56 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Euro bumped up QPF again.  Could be a sneaky Advisory event as snow growth looks good.  15:1 ratios on this should get widespread 3".

But man nothing kills discussion like a NNE-only type event lead-in, ha.

IMG_1738.thumb.PNG.79b25363571683bbb516940cd5600406.PNG

Nice middle finger covering the MA RI and CT region.

Enjoy the snow 

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

NNE hasn't had a good December either.  We've just gotten something as opposed to nothing.  J.Spin's stats show how it was a below normal snow December up here, pretty decently.  

Places like CNH on northward are still riding the big November snows which is why the season totals are somewhat decent despite December.

I would hardly call 5.5" for December anything remotely being normal here, 2 biggest storm were both in November

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I would hardly call 5.5" for December anything remotely being normal here, 2 biggest storm were both in November

My 7.5" is 12.1" BN.  The Friday mess brought 3.5", better than most folks got, and though it was Dec's biggest snow it ranks 5th for the season, behind yesterday and 3 in Novie.

Dews here are about zero.  Given the modest qpf, I wonder how much will get eaten on the way down.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The more I look at this, all the ski areas from Adirondacks/Greens/Whites should do pretty well.  Mid-level lift punching through snow growth...a bunch of half foot totals wouldn't surprise me in the favored elevations.

Southern Vermont mountains are really really hurting right now. All the rain has soaked into the November pack. The worst ice I have seen. There is a reason I had the mountain to myself yesterday 

26 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah but to some in SNE it seems better because we've had some chances and a couple light events, that's what I was trying to say.  And luckily most of us have kept snow cover consistently from the November snows...even if it resembles a skating rink, it's a white landscape which goes a long ways in the dark Dec days.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah but to some in SNE it seems better because we've had some chances and a couple light events, that's what I was trying to say.  And luckily most of us have kept snow cover consistently from the November snows...even if it resembles a skating rink, it's a white landscape which goes a long ways in the dark Dec days.

Here its been a different story, We have lost the cover a few times and then was left with rems on a couple others, No pack really to speak of, The one that got me was the brown christmas, It just doesn't feel right unless your in the south i guess.

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Here its been a different story, We have lost the cover a few times and then was left with rems on a couple others, No pack really to speak of, The one that got me was the brown christmas, It just doesn't feel right unless your in the south i guess.

It's been pretty much dogsh*t everywhere since November. Just different degrees of dogsh*t...powderfreak and the elevated areas and some CAD areas like tamarack have kept the glacial pack through the garbage but a lot of peeps like your hood in NNE/CNE have had to start over a couple times. 

SNE has pretty much been skunked except a bit on Xmas eve in some spots. Hopefully all of that changes 1/8. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's been pretty much dogsh*t everywhere since November. Just different degrees of dogsh*t...powderfreak and the elevated areas and some CAD areas like tamarack have kept the glacial pack through the garbage but a lot of peeps like your hood in NNE/CNE have had to start over a couple times. 

SNE has pretty much been skunked except a bit on Xmas eve in some spots. Hopefully all of that changes 1/8. 

And we were not starting from much, lol, It was better in Nov when we went 5.5" on the 16th then 6.5" on the 20th, Had more of a pack then but that got washed away as we torch pretty badly on south winds here, It really has not been good outside of areas that held on to what little they have got, I can relate to the frustration, Maybe we start to turn the corner on the 8th, It does look decent from there on.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I don't know why I thought you had kept at least 2-3" on the ground...you're usually better at CAD than here.  But I do think we just had so much moisture in the pack from the November snows it was just never warm enough long enough to torch it away.  And the CAA always seemed to come in quick up here after these events I guess, no days of downslope dandy NW flow.  

But calling what I've had in my yard a snowpack is a liberal interpretation of the word.  More like a 3-5" crusty glacier you can walk on most of this month.  The 1-2" of snow/sleet/ZR has been just enough to make most of these cutters a neutral gain/loss...only adding QPF to the concrete in the end.  

Been a pretty sh*tty month after about the 10th.