Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Yes, but omg jinx it why don't we let's wait until after the 12z suite at least given we've already started in here?

LOL feel free not to start a thread too... just, if the euro comes in hot like the GFS did, expect this thread to become heavily about the weekend vs long term. 

just my two, very unimportant and cheap, cents. :) 

back to lurking... 

3 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

So when does the FV3 take over again? I mean I know it can still be accurate and have wins but how much stock do we even put into the “old” GFS at this point?

It was supposed to replace the GFS in early February, but the shutdown is going to ruin that plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, LP08 said:

I like this position a lot more than some strung out POS or hoping a NS SW saves the day.  Definitely weaker with that feature.  Stout HP pushing a little more and we get a quicker transfer.

And its not some 1030-1032mb HP.... its in the low 1040s on this GFS run

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Come on man. Weenie rule #6. GFS has a warm bias. Shave a few degrees off the surface and mids. 

Not crazy at all to say this, especially with a stout airmass like that in place.  Lord almighty it's good to see that beast up to the north locked in place.  IF there is a storm this weekend, we will get SOME frozen out of it regardless with that airmass.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Cutting back on the strength of the NS shortwave makes a big difference. 

there is no way thats going to change over to rain with a 1043 high is it? i guess the surface low could kill the mids but keep it cold at the surface:(

1 minute ago, Ji said:

there is no way thats going to change over to rain with a 1043 high is it? i guess the surface low could kill the mids but keep it cold at the surface:(

Sleet or zr probably. We've had a number of these types of events over the years. General rules of HP strength and placement would imply more snow than anything else. Let's worry about QPF and let the 1040HP have it's way during game time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Fv3 is a better track. Lighter on the qpf but all snow. I'll gladly take either unreliable gfs. 

Dr No is licking his chops...this is where he likes to crush weenie optmism that occurs between 11am and 1pm

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Ji said:

Dr No is licking his chops...this is where he likes to crush weenie optmism that occurs between 11am and 1pm

My guess is the euro is still a disappointment but makes a clear move towards the GFS twins. 12z has the icon, gfs twins, and CMC all looking the same. Usually means the euro meets halfway. lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic