Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

54 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

Horrible trends for the 1/20 storm overnight.  Soon we’ll be in February lol.  A PV in central Canada is never good for east coast snow.

The signal is very strong for this date as you know and many ensemble members have positions off shore and well as inland. Personally I look to see trends that lessen the cutter outcomes.  Some may even be southern lows and gradient moving storms.  Example in some ensembles DC is modeled to get more snow than Philly, Wilmington and Eastern Long island.  

One very evident take away at this lead looking at the GFS and GEFS ensembles  at day 10 -   a large portion of the US is going to have snow cover put down in the next 10 days.  Looks like 2/3 or more of the US with snow cover , deep winter coming with that look. Opens the door to a possible severe cold air outbreak near month's end, or prior.  

Lastly keep in mind the pattern continues to improve beyond the 20th.  

Frankly I thought we were past interim records for the date, but I was wrong. Another record today, been a constant stream of records the last 10 days almost every day. 

####------------------------------------ Polar vortex status ------------------------------------###

The strat. vortex is currently weaker than all other years in the ERA interim record!!! 

The zonal mean zonal wind at 10 hPa 60N is today (GFS analysis): -9.1 m/s 

Weakest zonal wind at 10 hPa 60N in ERA interim record for todays date is: -8.4 m/s 2004 
Strongest zonal wind at 10 hPa 60N in ERA interim record for todays date is: 66.8 m/s 2009 

58 minutes ago, frd said:

The signal is very strong for this date as you know and many ensemble members have positions off shore and well as inland. Personally I look to see trends that lessen the cutter outcomes.  Some may even be southern lows and gradient moving storms.  Example in some ensembles DC is modeled to get more snow than Philly, Wilmington and Eastern Long island.  

One very evident take away at this lead looking at the GFS and GEFS ensembles  at day 10 -   a large portion of the US is going to have snow cover put down in the next 10 days.  Looks like 2/3 or more of the US with snow cover , deep winter coming with that look. Opens the door to a possible severe cold air outbreak near month's end, or prior.  

Lastly keep in mind the pattern continues to improve beyond the 20th.  

He is just trolling.  There is a lot of variance for day 10 right now, as there should be at that range.  The pattern continues to evolve better and better and if we get the blocking centered over Greenland towards February we should have an extended window of opportunity.   His "its almost February" comment is laughable.  Yea after January 20 we have 10 more days of PRIME CLIMO before we get to OUR SNOWIEST MONTH... yep definitely a reason to panic there.  He is a joke 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I remember, you NAILED that one!

Yes I’m such a bad poster but everyone is looking at 0” of snow the last 2 months...not sure why everyone is acting like we’re guaranteed to get slammed going forward.  GFS and Euro are in good agreement of the 20th being a cutter, and why go against persistence?  A PV in central Canada is a bad look for east coast snow, period.  It forces early phases.  Hope it’s wrong but i wouldn’t be surprised to see ensembles shift in that direction if that PV placement is correct.

2 minutes ago, Snowstorm5921 said:

Yes I’m such a bad poster but everyone is looking at 0” of snow the last 2 months...not sure why everyone is acting like we’re guaranteed to get slammed going forward.  GFS and Euro are in good agreement of the 20th being a cutter, and why go against persistence?  A PV in central Canada is a bad look for east coast snow, period.  It forces early phases.  Hope it’s wrong but i wouldn’t be surprised to see ensembles shift in that direction if that PV placement is correct.

Yes, if you dissect the meteorological evidence you presented in this post aside from the false claims, you are right. However, there is really no agreement on the storm coming on the 20th amongst the ensembles or on a lot of the operational models. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic