Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

6 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

now i want to know how many patterns that were good that we've received subpar snow in AND how many patterns similar to the one prognosticated that we've received subpar snow totals

i suppose, though, that i only have to wait 2 or so months to get a better idea of the potential

Luck and chaos change outcomes. Especially if you focus on a tiny but really important piece of real estate called your yard. The advertised pattern yells east coast storms but the east coast is huge. Someone is getting hammered if the weeklies are right. 

Think about 09-10. Greatest winter of all time. But if you drive 200 miles north or south nobody would agree with you. We were fortunate and got lucky with 3 amazing events in under 2 weeks. That part was more luck than exclusive to the pattern. 

One thing that's good is nino climo + neg ao/nao favors the MA and SE. The northeast isnt as stoked as we are. They want miller b's and a neg ao/nao. That's why they clean up with nina's. 2010-11 had great blocking the first half of winter but it wasnt good here. 

No guarantees in this game. The NE might clean house in Feb and we struggle. We'll just have to wait and see how each storm breaks and hope for the best. It's a remarkable long wave pattern showing up though. No doubt the best since 09-10. Might be identical but that doesnt mean luck and chaos break our way this time like it did in 09-10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

A KU is a major snowstorm that is big enough to be studied in depth by Paul Kocin and Louis Uccellinni (KU stands for their last names). Usually a widespread 10"+ storm.

So a "KU pattern" is the type of pattern that favors a major or historic snowstorm for our area. If the long range guidance is right, then we have a lot of fun times coming up.

Wow. Thanks.  a KU event is very much needed around here this year!  

25 minutes ago, Ji said:

i read a tweet that that el nino was suppose to form sometime this spring....are we not in a el nino?

16 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It is supposed to be forming now. As of a week or so ago, per CPC/NCEP, ENSO was neutral with an El Nino Watch in effect.

The SST have bee in a weak modoki configuration for months. But it takes 3 consecutive months to declare official. And the atmosphere is just now coupling so if you define by MEI or atmosheric pattern we are just entering now which isn't uncommon for weak modoki events. The SST nino pattern has peaked and will slowly fade the next few months but because of the lag on making it official it will be declared as the nino is actually fading. Where we go after that is ambiguous at this time.  I'm going to enjoy the ride the next 2 months THEN we can worry about next years enso state. 

39 minutes ago, RDM said:

Please don't tease us like that - just downright nasty!   

If that look on the cfs jma and euro is correct for February it would take some monumental bad luck not to end well. Now as @Bob Chill points out there was some luck 2010 in us being the epicenter. But there was a string of snows from the January 30 storm that mainly south of us with the heaviest to the Feb 20 storm that was north. Yea we were the bullseye of that pattern and there is no guarantee that happens again, but you had to get south of Richmond and north of NYC before the results weren't at least "really good" that year.  Other nino years with that look during prime climo also delivered. 1964, 1966, 1978, 1987 all ring a bell but they weren't all as good as this look but close at times just not for a month or more . 1958 developed that look but not until later and it still delivered.  But they all delivered at least good results. 

I cant think of any modoki ninos where we got that look and failed.  1969 had an awful Pacific pattern muting the nao and the stj was mia much of that year.  I know the mei this year is a good match as 40/60 said but I disagree with the pattern match because the stj has been beast this year. That has behaved more like a typical nino than 69.  

1995 was just awful start to finish.  Pattern never looked like this  

2005 was again absent much stj until late (when we did score 2 secs in late Feb) and the pattern was only so so.  Some blocking, at times an ok PAC but never great and never in tandem  

So going off historical reference if the guidance is right about a prolonged month long look like that I highly doubt we don't exceed climo snowfall.  Doesn't mean we repeat 2010...that takes luck also but other than Ji we should be happy with the results imo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill @frd @C.A.P.E. @WxUSAF

Never seen a weeklies snow mean even close to this. Ever...

IMG_8270.thumb.PNG.a1c81f420d5fd076b8fa64e87e62d61c.PNG

and it's not localized. It buries the whole northern half of the Conus. 

ETA. It looks more like those old goofy clown cfs snow maps 

Have to guess some of that 40+ in upstate NY is LES.  However, at the BN temps forecast, it won't take long for the GLs to freeze over, which of course cuts their source.  MO looks to be in a bullseye too.

With the defined cutoff between the haves and have nots, looks to be a heck of a boundary that's gone setup.  

Just had a chance to look over the weeklies and try to match them up with some of the other LR guidance ideas and teleconnections. Long story short as to not repeat what psu, bob, and others have already mentioned in detail.....I am all in for the 2nd half of winter. Can we fail? That's a possibility no matter what but with the constant looks and support that we are seeing chances are low. Next 10 days continue to step towards deep winter then the bottom is going to drop out in a good way Jan 20+......kudos psu and others if this works as advertised. 

@psuhoffman dude, this is the hall of fame weenie weeklies run. I cant find a flaw. You know what that means though... it can only go downhill from here.... lol

I went back and looked through my old AO data spreadsheets. Strong blocking events last anywhere from 30 to 60 days with the majority right around 45 days. It's very possible we have favorable blocking into mid march after seeing week 6. Lol. Wouldnt that be something? All these years with basically no stable blocking and now potential for 4-8 weeks during the best possible timeframe. 

Check out the control 46 snowfall. SNE nightmare. Lol. I have a hunch they score nicely though. No way we have cold and blocking like what's being advertised and the NE not getting their share. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@psuhoffman dude, this is the hall of fame weenie weeklies run. I cant find a flaw. You know what that means though... it can only go downhill from here.... lol

I went back and looked through my old AO data spreadsheets. Strong blocking events last anywhere from 30 to 60 days with the majority right around 45 days. It's very possible we have favorable blocking into mid march after seeing week 6. Lol. Wouldnt that be something? All these years with basically no stable blocking and now potential for 4-8 weeks during the best possible timeframe. 

Check out the control 46 snowfall. SNE nightmare. Lol. I have a hunch they score nicely though. No way we have cold and blocking like what's being advertised and the NE not getting their share. 

But it didn't snow on Christmas  :(

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Never seen a weeklies snow mean even close to this. Ever

@psuhoffman Wow psu that is impressive, eye candy for sure!  

I just got done listening to the this week in weather video from DT, and towards the end he covers the weeklies and comments on each week one by one. You can tell by his voice and wording that he is really, really impressed. He said looks like 09-10. 

DT provided his thoughts on potential storm dates as well on the video, it is bascially a threat every 5 days, or close to it. 

I've been scanning all my sources and I even hear the word triple phaser. Yes, I know that is a once every 100 year storm or more, just goes to show you how impressed folks are about the potential. And lets all remember it is potential only right now, but oh the excitment to see the possibilities. I need to move my snow blower up to the front of my garage tomorrow and ready her up !  Its game time soon !!!    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

But it didn't snow on Christmas  :(

And look, it takes 1104 hours for 18in of snow.. Meh.. Next! :thumbsdown:

I'm kidding, really can't argue with all the optimism for the upcoming pattern. The other thing I like is everybody "should" score a decent storm so if your back yard misses it won't be long until the next threat shows up. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I know everyone wants Christmas season snow but the best time to get blocking is mid January to March. It correlates to cold and snow here more later in the season than earlier.  Dec 09 was great but way more often we waste epic early blocks. Blocking in February is a way better bet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill @frd @C.A.P.E. @WxUSAF

Never seen a weeklies snow mean even close to this. Ever...

IMG_8270.thumb.PNG.a1c81f420d5fd076b8fa64e87e62d61c.PNG

and it's not localized. It buries the whole northern half of the Conus. 

ETA. It looks more like those old goofy clown cfs snow maps 

That's pretty incredible for a mean. I can only imagine what the high end ensemble members show.

Does anyone remember what the weeklies showed in mid-late January 2010? I know for sure that I haven't seen this kind of optimism about long range patterns on the forums since 2009-10.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fozz said:

That's pretty incredible for a mean. I can only imagine what the high end ensemble members show.

Does anyone remember what the weeklies showed in mid-late January 2010? I know for sure that I haven't seen this kind of optimism about long range patterns on the forums since 2009-10.

Ask and ye shall receive

xQpZsWP.png

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

This is extreme 

IMG_8269.thumb.PNG.70b61b098c8cda4d9b48636e9bcfbfa3.PNG

WOW. I dont ever remember a block like that in my life. That is crazy.

Anybody else notice the little Mid Atlantic special next Thursday on the 0Z GFS. Just a couple of hours of light snow. The kind of mini storm that turns the roads to a solid sheet of ice.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic