Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

9” in mid Novie is great and all but what followed has been an utter disaster. Cold bare ground, trash...then flooding rains, trash. 

I guess it’s subjective. I do agree, which is why I’d say more frustrating than anything. Couldn’t take advantage of the cold and had that big miss to RIC. Could be worse, could be DC. 1995 Carmen Electra basically danced in front of you wearing just a bra. What a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess it’s subjective. I do agree, which is why I’d say more frustrating than anything. Couldn’t take advantage of the cold and had that big miss to RIC. Could be worse, could be DC. 1995 Carmen Electra basically danced in front of you wearing just a bra. What a disaster. 

At least one would be close enough to whip it out...even if she grabbed her belongings and ran away.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greg said:

The difference between the 77'-'78 Winter and '14-'15 Winter for you actually wasn't that much different. 80.0" vs 83.7" for totals.. In fact with the 27.0" storm from the Blizzrd of '78 you had 34" on ground afterwards.  The highest you had on the ground in '15 was 29.0".  However, I do believe the deep snows stayed around a little longer for you particularly in the '14-'15 winter do to long duration cold and no interuptions such as the mid west Blizzard of '78 which gave us rain and took 2/3rds the snow depth away until the big blizzard in early February for us which obviously replaced plenty of that.

1978 had durable snow.  I came to visit a month after the blizzard and there was still a very significant pack. It hadn’t snowed since the event.

13 minutes ago, Greg said:

The difference between the 77'-'78 Winter and '14-'15 Winter for you actually wasn't that much different. 80.0" vs 83.7" for totals.. In fact with the 27.0" storm from the Blizzrd of '78 you had 34" on ground afterwards.  The highest you had on the ground in '15 was 29.0".  However, I do believe the deep snows stayed around a little longer for you particularly in the '14-'15 winter do to long duration cold and no interuptions such as the mid west Blizzard of '78 which gave us rain and took 2/3rds the snow depth away until the big blizzard in early February for us which obviously replaced plenty of that.

Where are you looking for these stats? Isn't kdxken in Brighton? (And a place in sherborn maybe?) Both of those locations had well over 100" in 2014-2015. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

That Jan 3rd threat almost looks like a repeat of early December on some of the models. 

Imagine how this place would get if the SE got another big hit. 

I definitely am leaning towards that being a southern MA event if it happens.  More inclined to believe it probably reaches DCA this time though 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

omg one of the worst records ever lolol but serious 90's kudos to you!! I am impressed!!

26 minutes ago, Greg said:

29”? Where? Everyone had more at some point.

From a single storm 78 was worse due to impact,  but 100” in basically 4 weeks simply brought the region to a virtual stop.  That snowpack......I’ll never see that. It’s one thing to have 3-4’ or more by mid March in East Moose Scrotum Maine,  but do that in a major metro area with no melting. Unreal.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

From a single storm 78 was worse due to impact,  but 100” in basically 4 weeks simply brought the region to a virtual stop.  That snowpack......I’ll never see that. It’s one thing to have 3-4’ or more by mid March in East Moose Scrotum Maine,  but do that in a major metro area with no melting. Unreal.

:weenie:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's pretty rare to get near normal temps or colder in December and get skunked on snowfall.

December 1943 had 0.5" at ORH despite putting up a -3 for temp departure. December 1955 pulled only 2.2" despite a -7 (!!) at ORH. But overall it's quite rare to be this bad. Definitely some negative variance there.

I was tryin to quantize this against other douch Decs of lore (as Kevin likes to say...) while hammerin away on the peleton on the gym...

Was 1994 a normal temp Dec - I think that was above normal if memory serves.  In any case, ...re the 'so farness' of this winter... If we get to Feb 1 like 1995, talk to me -

1993 may have actually been above normal for the first half, then of course it got cold and the party started about 3 days after xmass to fame-out the rest of the way.

I remember some soft 10th thru 5th placed ass wrecker abysmal Decs in 1980s. Thing is, I think we may have actually had more over performing Novies that decade... Interesting. I wonder if this is comparable to a 1980s Dec.   2014 (as I've heard others site) I don't like that one so much. I remember lots of mild days in cargo shorts that year... It reminded more of that Dec back in 2006 but nothing compares to the ass-end of a buffalo 2006, I know. It wasn't just mild.  It was ballz humid, with sweating surfaces of side roads that year.  

All in all, I think if we placed all Dec ever ... 300 of 'em, and looked at them all fairly ... probably more disappoint than appoint (haha) but you know what mean.   That's just my hunch. Even living in Michigan for the first 15 years of my life I can count on one hand white Christmas'.  'Course...lived most of my life in NE at this point - not sure what Decs have been like back there since.   

It's a bottom dweller winter thus far... but there are worse years - hard to imagine, I know. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I was tryin to quantize this against other douch Decs of lore (as Kevin likes to say...) while hammerin away on the peleton on the gym...

Was 1994 a normal Dec - I think that was above normal if memory serves.  

1993 may have actually been above normal for the first half, then of course it got cold and the party started about 3 days after xmass to fame-out the rest of the way.

I remember some soft 10th thru 5th places ass wrecker abysmal Decs in 1980s. Thing is, I think we may have actually had more over performing Novies that decade... Interesting. I wonder if this is comparable to an 1980s Dec.   2014 (as I've heard other site) I don't like that one so much. I remember lots of mild days in cargo shorts that year... It reminded more of that Dec back in 2006 but nothing compares to the ass-end of a buffalo 2006, I know. It wasn't just mild it ballz humid sweating on the surfaces of side roads that year.  

All in all, I think if we placed all Dec ever ... 300 of 'em, and looked at them all fairly ... probably more disappoint than appoint (haha) but you know what mean.   That's just my hunch. Even living in Michigan for the first 15 years of my life I can count on one hand white Christmas'.  'Course...lived most of my life in NE at this point - not sure what Decs have been like back there since.   

1994 was bone dry if I remember right.  Perhaps I’m thinking of October and November but I definitely recall the entire period from 10/94-9/95 was insanely dry and that more than anything in the back half of the winter lack of precip killed us.  94-95 doesn’t seem like a good analog to me based on that alone.  06-07 was more wet if I remember correctly but the central and southern Plains was also cold that winter for big stretches which hasn’t happened yet either 

Well.. heh, my comparing (just to be clear) wasn't to establish analogs - it was purely core to establish ranking of abysmal Decembers.

Yeah...I don't know what serves as analog ... I guess 2014 might by mass fields?   I dunno - Will or Ray are pretty good sources for season to season comparatives?