Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That’s one of the few parts of the country to set an all-time state low temperature in the last 10 years. I can’t even imagine what -50 feels like.

AROOSTOOK COUNTY...
   BIG BLACK RIVER        -50   731 AM  1/16 USGS BBRM1
   NINEMILE BRIDGE        -48   841 AM  1/16 USGS NINM1
   ALLAGASH               -47   722 AM  1/16 COOP ALGM1
   DICKEY                 -45   833 AM  1/16 USGS DICM1
   LILLE                  -45   717 AM  1/16 AR034
   MASARDIS               -45   840 AM  1/16 USGS MASM1
   CLAYTON LAKE           -44   832 AM  1/16 COOP CLTM1
   GRAND ISLE             -44   722 AM  1/16 SPOTTER
   OXBOW                  -43   842 AM  1/16 COOP OXBM1
   FORT KENT MILLS        -41   853 AM  1/16 AR054
   STOCKHOLM              -41   717 AM  1/16 SPOTTER
   VAN BUREN              -41   845 AM  1/16 COOP VANM1
   EAGLE LAKE             -40   902 AM  1/16 COOP EGLM1
   FORT KENT              -40   851 AM  1/16 COOP FISM1
   FOX BROOK              -40   835 AM  1/16 COOP FOXM1
   PRESQUE ISLE           -39   758 AM  1/16 AWOS KPQI
   LIMESTONE              -38   917 AM  1/16 COOP LIZM1
   CARIBOU WFO            -37   718 AM  1/16 ASOS KCAR

Frightening temperature. To end it all, you would just have to take a deep unprotected breath. Not a pleasant way to go. As always

• Like 1

Latest EURO WEEKLIES are BN temperature wise all the way into week 2 of Mar., except near Normal for the first 7 up front.     Unfortunately, after the first two weeks of the run, precipitation seems pushed east and to the south of our area.    Gotta get that storm done quickly I think, otherwise it will take an accident to get the big one.    I still contend if such a storm does occur, it will not show up in the LR and wind up as a surprise event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I love ME, am looking at lake houses there, but seriously, it isn't a place to be in winter, especially up there. That said, even parts of ME have had trouble getting enough snow in the 80's and 90's, according to my BIL, a lifer. He's complaining about snow this year though, again. Dude hates the snow. Hates NYC and NJ more, where he worked for many years. Tried FL, too hot. Can't make the guy happy.

I would say the exact opposite, that’s the exact place to be in winter. There are plenty of people who enjoy winter sports as much or more then summer. I absolutely love snow boarding, I would put a great day on the mountain with fresh snow right up there with a day of surfing. Maine has absolutely been the place to be this winter with two of the biggest and best ski resorts in the east (sugarloaf and Sunday river) having banner winters. Had I been there ridding fresh snow I wouldn’t have broken my collar bone on the ice in southern Vermont. It’s just too far of a drive for a weekend warrior like myself. Throw in all the other winter sports people love their (snowmobiling, ice fishing, hokey and many more) and you end up with endless winter opportunities 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I would say the exact opposite, that’s the exact place to be in winter. There are plenty of people who enjoy winter sports as much or more then summer. I absolutely love snow boarding, I would put a great day on the mountain with fresh snow right up there with a day of surfing. Maine has absolutely been the place to be this winter with two of the biggest and best ski resorts in the east (sugarloaf and Sunday river) having banner winters. Had I been there ridding fresh snow I wouldn’t have broken my collar bone on the ice in southern Vermont. It’s just too far of a drive for a weekend warrior like myself. Throw in all the other winter sports people love their (snowmobiling, ice fishing, hokey and many more) and you end up with endless winter opportunities 

The only winter sport I'm interested in is ice fishing, which is quite good up there. But I could live without it. My BIL is closer to Lewiston and Augusta so he is not in the wilderness, it's more populated and not too far from the coast. Further up in ME is actually frank wilderness. You get lost there, someone might find your bones in the spring. Maybe. It is a long drive, I've done it many times, but then I stop a lot, gotta get the cheap vodka at the NH border for my BIL. Usually stop at the Bass Pro and also LL Bean.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

That’s one of the few parts of the country to set an all-time state low temperature in the last 10 years. I can’t even imagine what -50 feels like.

AROOSTOOK COUNTY...
   BIG BLACK RIVER        -50   731 AM  1/16 USGS BBRM1
   NINEMILE BRIDGE        -48   841 AM  1/16 USGS NINM1
   ALLAGASH               -47   722 AM  1/16 COOP ALGM1
   DICKEY                 -45   833 AM  1/16 USGS DICM1
   LILLE                  -45   717 AM  1/16 AR034
   MASARDIS               -45   840 AM  1/16 USGS MASM1
   CLAYTON LAKE           -44   832 AM  1/16 COOP CLTM1
   GRAND ISLE             -44   722 AM  1/16 SPOTTER
   OXBOW                  -43   842 AM  1/16 COOP OXBM1
   FORT KENT MILLS        -41   853 AM  1/16 AR054
   STOCKHOLM              -41   717 AM  1/16 SPOTTER
   VAN BUREN              -41   845 AM  1/16 COOP VANM1
   EAGLE LAKE             -40   902 AM  1/16 COOP EGLM1
   FORT KENT              -40   851 AM  1/16 COOP FISM1
   FOX BROOK              -40   835 AM  1/16 COOP FOXM1
   PRESQUE ISLE           -39   758 AM  1/16 AWOS KPQI
   LIMESTONE              -38   917 AM  1/16 COOP LIZM1
   CARIBOU WFO            -37   718 AM  1/16 ASOS KCAR

50 below is cold, really freaking cold, REALLY cold. I've seen temps in the 40's below a bunch of times and the coldest I've been in is 57 below. It hurts to think at those temps.

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

The only winter sport I'm interested in is ice fishing, which is quite good up there. But I could live without it. My BIL is closer to Lewiston and Augusta so he is not in the wilderness, it's more populated and not too far from the coast. Further up in ME is actually frank wilderness. You get lost there, someone might find your bones in the spring. Maybe. It is a long drive, I've done it many times, but then I stop a lot, gotta get the cheap vodka at the NH border for my BIL. Usually stop at the Bass Pro and also LL Bean.

Try stopping at the Kittery Outpost next time instead of BP or Bean. It's a really cool store. It's also a few minutes from some of the best mt biking in the entire area, Aggy or Mt A (Mt Agamenticus) an old ski area with miles and miles of top notch primitive singletrack riding and hiking that will leave you thoroughly satisfied with the time spent there.

7 hours ago, gravitylover said:

50 below is cold, really freaking cold, REALLY cold. I've seen temps in the 40's below a bunch of times and the coldest I've been in is 57 below. It hurts to think at those temps.

Try stopping at the Kittery Outpost next time instead of BP or Bean. It's a really cool store. It's also a few minutes from some of the best mt biking in the entire area, Aggy or Mt A (Mt Agamenticus) an old ski area with miles and miles of top notch primitive singletrack riding and hiking that will leave you thoroughly satisfied with the time spent there.

I've been meaning to stop there, thanks!

10 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Been to both SR and SL numerous times. Both are great mts but I like SL a little bit more over sunday. Rangeley is the town to go for snowmobiling and is where saddleback is but is still closed,great state.                            

15 hours ago, bluewave said:

Caribou, Maine is the big 2010’s extreme snowfall winter for January.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2019-01-24-caribou-maine-all-time-snowiest-month-january-2019

Through Thursday, 50.1 inches of snow had piled up in the northeastern Maine city since Jan. 1, more than 30 inches of snow above average by this point in the month, and over 5 inches greater than its previous snowiest January – 44.5 inches in 1994 –

Another strat-warm year that produced near record in Chicago in Jan.

Let`s hope Feb 94 shows up here. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Through Thursday, 50.1 inches of snow had piled up in the northeastern Maine city since Jan. 1, more than 30 inches of snow above average by this point in the month, and over 5 inches greater than its previous snowiest January – 44.5 inches in 1994 –

Another strat-warm year that produced near record in Chicago in Jan.

Let`s hope Feb 94 shows up here. 

You know thats the winter I have been looking at also, as well as 2012-13.  It would be less extreme than Feb 1994 though because this has been a milder winter generally.  There was a good Pacific and bad Atlantic and that winter was also influenced by the Pinatubo eruption.

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

You know thats the winter I have been looking at also, as well as 2012-13.  It would be less extreme than Feb 1994 though because this has been a milder winter generally.  There was a good Pacific and bad Atlantic and that winter was also influenced by the Pinatubo eruption.

agree on the 12-13 similarities...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I personally prefer ones like 2014 or 94, decent but not huge storms with frequency. 2011 would be next. 09-10 was just so disappointing in my area compared to elsewhere that it's hard to remember it fondly.

I loved 1994. I haven't loved the more recent ones as much, and it's probably because of my age and responsibilities. Being 11 in the 1993-1994 winter was almost pure perfection. Now, the snow aggravates me (not the enthusiast) as an adult with things to do. 

1 hour ago, North and West said:

I loved 1994. I haven't loved the more recent ones as much, and it's probably because of my age and responsibilities. Being 11 in the 1993-1994 winter was almost pure perfection. Now, the snow aggravates me (not the enthusiast) as an adult with things to do. 

I hear you. I only want enough snow to play with the kids and for work to close lol. 

20 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Total bummer about your collar bone. Ironically my sister broke her collar bone at Stratton (assuming that’s where you were) many years ago. My sister also happened to be skiing at Sunday river last weekend during the snowstorm. Said it was epic, of course. 

5 hours ago, Snow88 said:

I miss 2009-2010, 2010 -2011.

The 30+ inches for 5 years straight isn't enough for you?  We're living in the Golden Era of snow, some of you expect 50+ inches every year as if it was the norm.

I get what you're saying as those were amazing winters but lets put this in perspective, we've been very spoiled.  Also, I personally loved '14-'15 the most outside of any year since '95-'96, that's as close to wall to wall winter as we could get here in the immediate NYC era. Snowcover for about 90 days straight, 6-10 inch type storms every week to refresh the pack, winter wonderland.  I do love my KU storms but I prefer '14-'15 with a bunch of cold, moderate to significant storms over '15-'16 with one blockbuster and little else.

• Like 3

Just now, kat5hurricane said:

The 30+ inches for 5 years straight isn't enough for you?  We're living in the Golden Era of snow, some of you expect 50+ inches every year as if it was the norm.

I get what you're saying as those were amazing years but lets put this in perspective. We've been very spoiled.  Also, I personally loved '14-'15 the most outside of any year since '95-'96, that's as close to wall to wall winter as we could get here in the immediate NYC era. Snowcover for about 90 days straight, 6-10 inch type storms every week to refresh the pack, winter wonderland.  I do love my KU storms but I prefer '14-'15 with a bunch of cold, moderate to significant storms over '15-'16 with one blockbuster and little else.

Well said.   We were certainly due for a dud.  Was a bit surprised it’s this year but regression to the mean has to occur st some point.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kat5hurricane said:

I get what you're saying as those were amazing winters but lets put this in perspective, we've been very spoiled.  Also, I personally loved '14-'15 the most outside of any year since '95-'96, that's as close to wall to wall winter as we could get here in the immediate NYC era. Snowcover for about 90 days straight, 6-10 inch type storms every week to refresh the pack, winter wonderland.  I do love my KU storms but I prefer '14-'15 with a bunch of cold, moderate to significant storms over '15-'16 with one blockbuster and little else.

2014 was better out my way; actual storms as opposed to the 3-4 inch events in 2015, some of which turned to rain and washed away.

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Well said.   We were certainly due for a dud.  Was a bit surprised it’s this year but regression to the mean has to occur st some point.  

I wouldn't give up on this year, just look at last year for reference when the pattern flipped like a switch but we are due for a dud and soon, it's inevitable.  Honestly, I don't mind it too much. I'm not old and I'm in good shape but I tire of digging out constantly like I have the last 5 years so I don't mind having a year of reprieve.

1 hour ago, 495weatherguy said:

Wouldn’t mind 5 years of this.   Even warmer would be better, frankly.  

We have had so much snow in the past 15 years, this shouldn’t be surprising 

This is the same old pattern we have been stuck in and will probably be stuck in the rest of the winter we get close to record breaking cold next week then we end up with this on FEB 4 and rain

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_40.png

1 hour ago, 495weatherguy said:

Wouldn’t mind 5 years of this.   Even warmer would be better, frankly.  

We have had so much snow in the past 15 years, this shouldn’t be surprising 

Move south. You can have more than 5 years of no snow. Anyone who is that opposed to a normal part of their climate should consider going where the conditions are more to their liking. This is not said sarcastically. There are many places in the USA alone where you'd never have to see a snowflake. That's where I'd be; and I know several friends who have done just that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

This is the same old pattern we have been stuck in and will probably be stuck in the rest of the winter we get close to record breaking cold next week then we end up with this on FEB 4 and rain

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_40.png

I have no doubt this is going to continue. But I could do without the rain, and am ready for spring. As mentioned to another poster, if someone doesn't like their weather, they should make efforts to go where they might like it; for me, if winters were to remain wet, damp, cloudy and without snow, say like Seattle or Portland Ore, I would find that awfully depressing and would move elsewhere. If I'm not going to see some snow, I might as well move to a place that is a bit sunnier and more amenable to year round outdoor activities.

16 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Move south. You can have more than 5 years of no snow. Anyone who is that opposed to a normal part of their climate should consider going where the conditions are more to their liking. This is not said sarcastically. There are many places in the USA alone where you'd never have to see a snowflake. That's where I'd be; and I know several friends who have done just that.

Understood.  However not realistic at this point of my life.  Family and work prevent that move from occurring yet.

As someone who used to love snow more than anyone, I also understand how fortunate we have been in the last 15 years.  I grew up on Long Island, snow was a rarity.  

Lots of other factors I won’t get into on a public forum also play a role as to why I have become a snow curmudgeon 

18 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Understood.  However not realistic at this point of my life.  Family and work prevent that move from occurring yet.

As someone who used to love snow more than anyone, I also understand how fortunate we have been in the last 15 years.  I grew up on Long Island, snow was a rarity.  

Lots of other factors I won’t get into on a public forum also play a role as to why I have become a snow curmudgeon 

Oh I get it. I love snowstorms, but it can be a drag cleaning it up, even with a snowblower. This year I bought a smaller more maneuverable one because I have difficulty with the big one; the kids are older and have cars and I can't negotiate the small spaces easily. Of course it won't snow now, but as my snow hating friends say, that's a good thing. Mainly I think most of us like the way the scenery looks when it snows, but when  you have young drivers and spouses who have to drive in it, your perspective is different. As I worked in schools for 30 years, most of the time I was off when it snowed, except when I taught in ELizabeth, where every winter they sent home a notice saying basically since no one gets off in Minnesota or Maine for snow, we won't be off either. Which was really stupid. And so many teachers would call in sick they finally relented.