Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

9 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I agree that it was way under measured. The storm had hurricane fource wind gusts. That would cause the snow crystals to break apart and settle big time. If it had been measured on a snow board it was a 30+ storm for the entire metro

They basically measured maximum snow depth for a three day storm (in March).  Just supposition on my part, but who knows if they even measured when the snow depth was at it's max.  30"+ wouldn't surprise me but we'll never know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm honestly not sure what some of those other numbers look like. Until this I hadn't been to a doc in years but expect that I'll be finding out a lot about what's going on inside of me soon. I've tried to eat reasonably well but have probably been too high in carbs, I also avoid white bread like the plague. I am pretty anal about avoiding transfats and saturated fats for years but I have (had ;) ) a thing for cookies and donuts. 

I'll resist the meds and pills route big time, heck I don't even do pain killers or cold medicine unless I absolutely must.

I guess I've been fooling myself that a high level of activity would counter so much of the bad stuff... 

I used to be clueless about all those metrics, but when people close to me were getting sick, I had to do some due diligence and find out root causes and resolutions. I take my mom to a Naturalpathic Doc in Forest Hills, Queens. We were able to get her off all statin drugs while also reversing her stage 4 kidney disease to stage 3. 

Mainstream MDs did nothing and offered no hope. She would probably be on dialysis now if left to them.  Perhaps you can see a Naturalpathic Doc up by your neck of the woods. Expect to pay out of pocket- I don’t believe insurance covers that. I would get that blood work done, find out those metrics. 

Donuts are among the worst things you can eat. It’s fried, full of sugar. Probably fried in Trans-fat. That could totally be the culprit here along with any other ancillary factors.

Hoping you are able to quickly resolve any underlying issues sir! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Definitely a two layers of socks day tomorrow at INL

Impressive cold following the 12th warmest first half of winter for them. 

1 1914-01-15 20.5 0
2 2012-01-15 18.8 0
3 2002-01-15 18.3 0
4 2016-01-15 17.9 0
5 2006-01-15 17.4 0
6 1987-01-15 17.0 0
7 2007-01-15 16.5 0
8 1921-01-15 16.2 0
9 1998-01-15 15.9 0
10 1983-01-15 15.7 0
11 2003-01-15 15.4 0
12 2019-01-15 15.3 0

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSduluth/status/1089556890483376128

Record breaking cold for some locations today with the daily record low broken at International Falls & Hibbing. International Falls tied the 5th coldest all time low temperature at -46. Hibbing came in at -40 which ties the 11th coldest all time low temperature.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, weatherpruf said:

You can mitigate some of the issues. You won't stop them. And there are many random conditions that strike for no reason that we currently understand. And there may be causes of some things we have not yet fully realized. I once saw an Italian commentator laughing at Americans, who, he said, think they will be ok if they just eat right and exercise. The other thing he found hilarious was that we had a weather channel. This was a mystery to him. This winter is so bad we are talking about health. Sounds like we all need some fresh snow to clean up. Still waiting. Just 10 days from now....

We can research indigenous groups and different cultures to see which ones have the lowest rates of heart disease, diabetes and cancer, etc.  Cant stop it completely but we can certainly lower the risks.  Less sugary drink consumption, more omega 3s, etc., red wine, green tea, and olive oil all seem to be strongly linked to better health.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:56 AM, Jason215 said:

I used to be clueless about all those metrics, but when people close to me were getting sick, I had to do some due diligence and find out root causes and resolutions. I take my mom to a Naturalpathic Doc in Forest Hills, Queens. We were able to get her off all statin drugs while also reversing her stage 4 kidney disease to stage 3. 

Mainstream MDs did nothing and offered no hope. She would probably be on dialysis now if left to them.  Perhaps you can see a Naturalpathic Doc up by your neck of the woods. Expect to pay out of pocket- I don’t believe insurance covers that. I would get that blood work done, find out those metrics. 

Donuts are among the worst things you can eat. It’s fried, full of sugar. Probably fried in Trans-fat. That could totally be the culprit here along with any other ancillary factors.

Hoping you are able to quickly resolve any underlying issues sir! 

omg donuts are the plague of humanity! their manufacturers and the entire fast food/soda industry should be punished by The Hague for crimes against humanity.

I used to love them as a kid but I had to slowly wean myself off of them.  My BP has gone down significantly since eliminating sugary food/drinks and fast food from my diet.

• Sad 1

On 1/27/2019 at 11:26 PM, NorthShoreWx said:

They basically measured maximum snow depth for a three day storm (in March).  Just supposition on my part, but who knows if they even measured when the snow depth was at it's max.  30"+ wouldn't surprise me but we'll never know.

Is there no way to determine total snowfall from water equivalent, or was that estimated?

• Confused 1

On 1/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Well 3 of the last 4 winters in NYC March has been the snowiest month. Colonia is not that far from NYC so I wouldn't think it's that different. Warm march? I guess it depends on what you define as warm.

I've lived my entire life in the HV so March is just another winter month to me, especially the first three weeks, and always has been.

I wonder whats the latest that we have had a major 6" snowfall if we didn't have any 1" snmowfalls December or January?  Feb 2013 maybe?  In 1997-98 we just missed that because we went into March with only 0.5" total snowfall and received 5.0" right after winter ended lol.  I wonder how this season ranks as far as lowest DJF snowfall (so far is concerned) and if we just look at DJ where it ranks, I think something like 1913-14 or 2012-13 represents our best case scenarios.

• Confused 1

On 1/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, weatherpruf said:

I've lived here for 56 years. Chances go way down after about Feb 20. Which is about three weeks and change. Especially in low snow winters. The fact that something can happen doesn't mean it will. Even some of our blockbuster winters were over by then. I'd like to see the numbers since around 1980. If I were a betting man, I'd bet against much more snow this year. But as I always have said, it would only be a bet. We can have a blizzard in April. Saw it happen in 1982. Just once. Can't say what happened when I was a toddler, but that was the only one I remember in my 56 years. I guess we will know soon enough. This does seem unusual in light of the past few years though. Perhaps growing up in the 70's and being a young adult in the 80's has colored my perceptions of March, a month i'd usually have the boat in the water and be actively fishing Raritan Bay; it was warm enough. 

How did you do in April 2003 or the April snow storm last year?

And April 1996 and April 1997?

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

We can research indigenous groups and different cultures to see which ones have the lowest rates of heart disease, diabetes and cancer, etc.  Cant stop it completely but we can certainly lower the risks.  Less sugary drink consumption, more omega 3s, etc., red wine, green tea, and olive oil all seem to be strongly linked to better health.

The biggest factor in indigenous peoples, who generally die of things we don't get in modern society, is that they move around a lot. Diet doesn't seem to be a factor, as they eat different diets. Omega 3's have been found to be a lot of malarkey, like most of this stuff. Eating omega 3's or lots of fish will not do anything but raise your mercury levels. See Paul Greenberg's books. We're all gonna die.....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

The biggest factor in indigenous peoples, who generally die of things we don't get in modern society, is that they move around a lot. Diet doesn't seem to be a factor, as they eat different diets. Omega 3's have been found to be a lot of malarkey, like most of this stuff. Eating omega 3's or lots of fish will not do anything but raise your mercury levels. See Paul Greenberg's books. We're all gonna die.....

I didn't say to eat fish, we have polluted our environment too much to do that.  Omega 3 sourced from algae seems to be the best.  We have unloaded too much cr&p into our environment unfortunately.  We are now finding plastic and pesticides in our own blood!  To those who can afford it, go organic (I grow my own stuff free of pesticides.)  According to the AHA our daily intake should be 360mg of DHA and 240mg of EPA.  FDA recently approved a drug that's made from Omega 3s  for improved heart health.  Olive oil from the Meditteranean diet has also proven to be very beneficial for lower levels of heart disease  The corrupt meat industry (what else is new- the sugar industry did it too) has been hoodwinking the public for decades, which is what's made America the most obese nation in the world.  My BP went down a lot when I stopped eating processed meat, fast food, soda, etc.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Nothing in April in 96 or 97. A few slushy inches in 03. 82 was the big one...

Oh I heard Central NJ did well in 4/96 and 4/97.  6-8 inches in Ocean and Monmouth counties!

We had 5 inches here in 4/96 and like 2 in 4/97- that was a big bust, a foot was forecast in each of those.

8 inches in 4/03 though that was a good event and 6 inches in April last year.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Here, read this and the associated studies (as for the meat and sugar industries covering up studies showing how bad they are, thats already been reported in the mass media multiple times.):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_diet

Health effects[edit]

A 2017 review found evidence that practice of a Mediterranean diet could lead to a decreased risk of cardiovascular diseases, overall cancer incidence, neurodegenerative diseases, diabetes, and early death.[5] A 2018 review showed that practice of the Mediterranean diet may improve overall health status, such as reduced risk of non-communicable diseases, reduced total costs of living, and reduced costs for national healthcare.[11] A 2016 review found similar weight loss as other diets.[12]

Heart disease[edit]

A 2013 Cochrane review found limited evidence that a Mediterranean diet favorably affects cardiovascular risk factors.[4] A meta-analysis in 2013 compared Mediterranean, vegan, vegetarian, low-glycemic index, low-carbohydrate, high-fiber, and high-protein diets with control diets. The research concluded that Mediterranean, low-carbohydrate, low-glycemic index, and high-protein diets are effective in improving markers of risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes, while there was limited evidence for an effect of vegetarian diets on glycemic control and lipid levels unrelated to weight loss.[13] However, reviews of early 2016 have been more cautious: Concerns have been raised about the quality of previously performed systematic reviews and meta-analyses examining the impact of a Mediterranean diet on cardiovascular risk factors,[14] further standardized research has been found to be necessary,[15] and the evidence as to the prevention of vascular disease by the Mediterranean diet has been found to be "limited and highly variable".[16] Newer reviews have reached similar conclusions about the ability of a Mediterranean diet to improve cardiovascular risk factors such as high blood pressure and other cardiovascular diseases.[5][17]

The Mediterranean diet often is cited as beneficial for being low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat and dietary fiber. One of the main explanations is thought to be the health effects of olive oil included in the Mediterranean diet. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats, most notably oleic acid, which is under clinical research for its potential health benefits.[7] The European Food Safety Authority Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies approved health claims on olive oil, for protection by its polyphenols against oxidation of blood lipids[18] and for the contribution to the maintenance of normal blood LDL-cholesterol levels by replacing saturated fats in the diet with oleic acid[19] (Commission Regulation (EU) 432/2012 of 16 May 2012).[20] A 2014 meta-analysis concluded that an elevated consumption of olive oil is associated with reduced risk of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular events and stroke, while monounsaturated fatty acids of mixed animal and plant origin showed no significant effects.[8]

Diabetes[edit]

In 2014, two meta-analyses found that the Mediterranean diet was associated with a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes.[21][22]findings similar to those of a 2017 review.[5]

Cancer[edit]

A meta-analysis in 2008 found that strictly following the Mediterranean diet was correlated with a decreased risk of dying from cancer by 6%.[23] A 2017 review found a decreased rate of cancer.[5]

Another 2014 systematic review and meta-analysis found that adherence to the Mediterranean diet was associated with a decreased risk of death from cancer.[24] There is preliminary evidence that regular consumption of olive oil may lower the risk of developing cancer.[9]

Cognitive ability[edit]

A 2016 systematic review found a relation between greater adherence to a Mediterranean diet and better cognitive performance; it is unclear if the relationship is causal.[25]

According to a 2013 systematic review, greater adherence to a Mediterranean diet is correlated with a lower risk of Alzheimer's disease and slower cognitive decline.[26] Another 2013 systematic review reached similar conclusions, and also found a negative association with the risk of progressing from mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer's, but acknowledged that only a small number of studies had been done on the topic.[27]

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Here, read this and the associated studies (as for the meat and sugar industries covering up studies showing how bad they are, thats already been reported in the mass media multiple times.):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_diet

Health effects[edit]

A 2017 review found evidence that practice of a Mediterranean diet could lead to a decreased risk of cardiovascular diseases, overall cancer incidence, neurodegenerative diseases, diabetes, and early death.[5] A 2018 review showed that practice of the Mediterranean diet may improve overall health status, such as reduced risk of non-communicable diseases, reduced total costs of living, and reduced costs for national healthcare.[11] A 2016 review found similar weight loss as other diets.[12]

Heart disease[edit]

A 2013 Cochrane review found limited evidence that a Mediterranean diet favorably affects cardiovascular risk factors.[4] A meta-analysis in 2013 compared Mediterranean, vegan, vegetarian, low-glycemic index, low-carbohydrate, high-fiber, and high-protein diets with control diets. The research concluded that Mediterranean, low-carbohydrate, low-glycemic index, and high-protein diets are effective in improving markers of risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes, while there was limited evidence for an effect of vegetarian diets on glycemic control and lipid levels unrelated to weight loss.[13] However, reviews of early 2016 have been more cautious: Concerns have been raised about the quality of previously performed systematic reviews and meta-analyses examining the impact of a Mediterranean diet on cardiovascular risk factors,[14] further standardized research has been found to be necessary,[15] and the evidence as to the prevention of vascular disease by the Mediterranean diet has been found to be "limited and highly variable".[16] Newer reviews have reached similar conclusions about the ability of a Mediterranean diet to improve cardiovascular risk factors such as high blood pressure and other cardiovascular diseases.[5][17]

The Mediterranean diet often is cited as beneficial for being low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat and dietary fiber. One of the main explanations is thought to be the health effects of olive oil included in the Mediterranean diet. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats, most notably oleic acid, which is under clinical research for its potential health benefits.[7] The European Food Safety Authority Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies approved health claims on olive oil, for protection by its polyphenols against oxidation of blood lipids[18] and for the contribution to the maintenance of normal blood LDL-cholesterol levels by replacing saturated fats in the diet with oleic acid[19] (Commission Regulation (EU) 432/2012 of 16 May 2012).[20] A 2014 meta-analysis concluded that an elevated consumption of olive oil is associated with reduced risk of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular events and stroke, while monounsaturated fatty acids of mixed animal and plant origin showed no significant effects.[8]

Diabetes[edit]

In 2014, two meta-analyses found that the Mediterranean diet was associated with a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes.[21][22]findings similar to those of a 2017 review.[5]

Cancer[edit]

A meta-analysis in 2008 found that strictly following the Mediterranean diet was correlated with a decreased risk of dying from cancer by 6%.[23] A 2017 review found a decreased rate of cancer.[5]

Another 2014 systematic review and meta-analysis found that adherence to the Mediterranean diet was associated with a decreased risk of death from cancer.[24] There is preliminary evidence that regular consumption of olive oil may lower the risk of developing cancer.[9]

Cognitive ability[edit]

A 2016 systematic review found a relation between greater adherence to a Mediterranean diet and better cognitive performance; it is unclear if the relationship is causal.[25]

According to a 2013 systematic review, greater adherence to a Mediterranean diet is correlated with a lower risk of Alzheimer's disease and slower cognitive decline.[26] Another 2013 systematic review reached similar conclusions, and also found a negative association with the risk of progressing from mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer's, but acknowledged that only a small number of studies had been done on the topic.[27]

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I already know most of this stuff, but it all sets aside the two biggest factors, stress and inactivity. Take a look at the Roseta paradox. Stress.stress.stress. I do eat a lot of fish but you have to limit it to once or twice a week. The fisheries are dangerously close to collapsing though. I do eat farm raised for the most part as it is not nearly as contaminated as local. I release most of my wild catch. I also grow a ton in my garden. I walk several miles a day before work too. Studies show that a lot of the fish in the store are purposely mislabeled and restaurants are even worse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I already know most of this stuff, but it all sets aside the two biggest factors, stress and inactivity. Take a look at the Roseta paradox. Stress.stress.stress. I do eat a lot of fish but you have to limit it to once or twice a week. The fisheries are dangerously close to collapsing though. I do eat farm raised for the most part as it is not nearly as contaminated as local. I release most of my wild catch. I also grow a ton in my garden. I walk several miles a day before work too. Studies show that a lot of the fish in the store are purposely mislabeled and restaurants are even worse.

I would avoid sea fish as much as possible, besides the mercury thats in there thanks to us polluting the environment, they also contain plastic :( we have turned the oceans into our own marine dumpsters.  Farm grown fish are better in this respect but they have less of the nutrients we need.

Stress is a huge problem, I feel much less stress when I get away from the population dense and noisy and light polluted city and make it out into the mountains, and sleep much better there too.  Melatonin reduction because of light pollution has been strongly linked to certain cancers and depression and anxiety.  Lifestyle changes are much better than medication in this regard.  Meditation and yoga are also great.

Walking and gardening are great for stress relief too- I learned that early on, my dad did that after he retired and his blood pressure went down considerably!

• Like 1

I don't think I've had more than a liter or two of soda a year for the last 10 years and that's only because I have a thing for rum and cokes. I drink a couple of glasses of red wine a week and generally prefer lagers (high in antioxidants) and stouts but for the last few years have been down to a total of 8-12 drinks a week max with most weeks being more like 5-8 so really not drinking much at all. As much as I say I have a thing for donuts it probably doesn't (didn't) amount to more than a few a month so also not much of a factor. I eat a lot of veggies, a fair bit of whole wheat or whole grain pasta, mostly organic or free range meats and beans of some sort a few times a week but had eggs or pancakes with bacon or sausage a few mornings a week. We also use only olive or peanut oils in cooking and very little salt in cooking at home but when you eat out it's almost impossible to get away from it. I've also been extremely picky about what kind of fish I'll eat and where it's from, it's too bad that it's so expensive to buy fresh water fish or I'd be almost exclusive with it. As it is I've been eating a fair amount of wild caught north Pacific Cod, wild caught salmon (never farm raised, ever) and occasionally shellfish. More chicken than red meat and when I eat ribs it's usually dry rub rather than sauced. Overall I don't think my diet has been bad, it could always be better but considering my high level of activity I figured it would counteract a lot of the bad stuff.

Would ya believe my insurance denied covering cardiac rehab and they're also resisting covering cardiologist and vascular surgeon follow up visits.