Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

2 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Twice a year?  That's fine--now if that was 2x a week, that would be a different story...

I wonder which is worse, the sugary drink (diet drinks are just as bad) that goes with it or the burger?  The sugary drink might actually be worse, but yes neither should be consumed more than about twice a year, I think the AHA and ACA said to limit processed meat to 10% or less of your diet.

Big difference between HFCS and the natural stuff you find in fruit too.

• Confused 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

I wonder which is worse, the sugary drink (diet drinks are just as bad) that goes with it or the burger?  The sugary drink might actually be worse, but yes neither should be consumed more than about twice a year, I think the AHA and ACA said to limit processed meat to 10% or less of your diet.

Big difference between HFCS and the natural stuff you find in fruit too.

I think the sugary drinks are worse--burgers can be consumed more than twice a year.  Be careful of the buns!  The extra carbs are terrible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Through a proper diet and exercise you can mitigate most, if not all of the issues.   

You can mitigate some of the issues. You won't stop them. And there are many random conditions that strike for no reason that we currently understand. And there may be causes of some things we have not yet fully realized. I once saw an Italian commentator laughing at Americans, who, he said, think they will be ok if they just eat right and exercise. The other thing he found hilarious was that we had a weather channel. This was a mystery to him. This winter is so bad we are talking about health. Sounds like we all need some fresh snow to clean up. Still waiting. Just 10 days from now....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Shoveling is very stressful--be careful

Causes a lot of heart attacks and back problems. that's why I switched to a smaller snowblower this year, the big one is too heavy. Well, I won't have to worry about it I guess. Gotta look at the good aspects, nothing to clean up. Except the constant mud the dog tracks in.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Causes a lot of heart attacks and back problems. that's why I switched to a smaller snowblower this year, the big one is too heavy. Well, I won't have to worry about it I guess. Gotta look at the good aspects, nothing to clean up. Except the constant mud the dog tracks in.

Gotta look at the positives!

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Beautiful Unc. ... I believe the event started as strong rains with relatively mild temperatures, at least until that arctic front caught sight of the L.P., fell in love, sang “MARIA” and the rest is history. As always ....... 

Speaking of March 1888, because there's really nothing snow wise to talk about this winter, in addition to the blizzard, the average temperature in NYC for March 1888 was 29.9°, I still find that as amazing as the blizzard.  That was about 0.3° above the January average at the time. Now it would be almost 3 degrees above the current January 30 year average. It still remains, and probably always will, as the only March to have an average temperature in NYC below 30°.

Don't get me started on the 21 inch measurement in Manhattan. I've studied the pictures and the surrounding areas measurements and there is little doubt in my mind that Manhattan received somewhere between 30-36 inches from that storm. Brooklyn and Queens measured 36 inches and New Haven 45, Albany 48 and Saratoga 58.

I'd be curious what Uncles take is on the Manhattan measurement, as I don't know of any better weather historian out there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 495weatherguy said:

Gotta look at the positives!

There are hints of a big warmup starting Feb 4-11, according to wdrag in another thread. That will probably kill off any hopes for this year. People say we have 60 days but in reality it's about 3 more weeks. after that things can still happen, but chances plummet. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

There are hints of a big warmup starting Feb 4-11, according to wdrag in another thread. That will probably kill off any hopes for this year. People say we have 60 days but in reality it's about 3 more weeks. after that things can still happen, but chances plummet. 

3 more weeks is not historically accurate, although for this winter it may apply.

Jan 20 through Feb 18th is the best 30 day period for 6 inch or more snows, but up to March 20th the chances of 6 inch or above snowfalls in NYC are not at all uncommon, as the list below of 10 day periods for 6 inch plus snows in NYC shows.

NYC 6+ inch Snows - 10 day periods
1..... Nov-11-Nov-20
4..... Nov-21-Nov-30
6..... Dec-01-Dec-10
13.... Dec-11-Dec-20
18.... Dec-21-Dec-30
12.... Dec-31-Jan-09
15.... Jan-10-Jan-19
20.... Jan-20-Jan-29
25.... Jan-30-Feb-08
25.... Feb-09-Feb-18

16.... Feb-19-Feb-28
18.... Feb-29-Mar-10
11.... Mar-11-Mar-20
2..... Mar-21-Mar-30
6..... Mar-31-Apr-09
1..... Apr-10-Apr-19

193.. Nov-15-Apr-13

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

3 more weeks is not historically accurate, although for this winter it may apply.

Jan 20 through Feb 18th is the best 30 day period for 6 inch or more snows, but up to March 20th the chances of 6 inch or above snowfalls in NYC are not at all uncommon, as the list below of 10 day periods for 6 inch plus snows in NYC shows.

1..... Nov-11-Nov-20
4..... Nov-21-Nov-30
6..... Dec-01-Dec-10
13.... Dec-11-Dec-20
18.... Dec-21-Dec-30
12.... Dec-31-Jan-09
15.... Jan-10-Jan-19
20.... Jan-20-Jan-29
25.... Jan-30-Feb-08
25.... Feb-09-Feb-18

16.... Feb-19-Feb-28
18.... Feb-29-Mar-10
11.... Mar-11-Mar-20
2..... Mar-21-Mar-30
6..... Mar-31-Apr-09
1..... Apr-10-Apr-19

193.. Nov-15-Apr-13

I am thrilled at the prospect of some 50/60 degree days--however I am not ready to say game over.  There is still a long way to go, no one was talking about a warm up a week ago--we may be speaking of a huge storm in mid Feb.  We just never know

10 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

1..... Nov-11-Nov-20
4..... Nov-21-Nov-30
6..... Dec-01-Dec-10
13.... Dec-11-Dec-20
18.... Dec-21-Dec-30
12.... Dec-31-Jan-09
15.... Jan-10-Jan-19
20.... Jan-20-Jan-29
25.... Jan-30-Feb-08
25.... Feb-09-Feb-18

16.... Feb-19-Feb-28
18.... Feb-29-Mar-10
11.... Mar-11-Mar-20
2..... Mar-21-Mar-30
6..... Mar-31-Apr-09
1..... Apr-10-Apr-19

193.. Nov-15-Apr-13

I've lived here for 56 years. Chances go way down after about Feb 20. Which is about three weeks and change. Especially in low snow winters. The fact that something can happen doesn't mean it will. Even some of our blockbuster winters were over by then. I'd like to see the numbers since around 1980. If I were a betting man, I'd bet against much more snow this year. But as I always have said, it would only be a bet. We can have a blizzard in April. Saw it happen in 1982. Just once. Can't say what happened when I was a toddler, but that was the only one I remember in my 56 years. I guess we will know soon enough. This does seem unusual in light of the past few years though. Perhaps growing up in the 70's and being a young adult in the 80's has colored my perceptions of March, a month i'd usually have the boat in the water and be actively fishing Raritan Bay; it was warm enough. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Just want to say...Park City skiing...feet of snow. 2 feet in town...more on hills

Meh. it's no fun if that's the normal weather there. They probably get sick of it. I know my BIL in ME is sick of the snow this year. But hey, I hope you have a great time. Go light on that "ski bum soup" as they call it.

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

I've lived here for 56 years. Chances go way down after about Feb 20. Which is about three weeks and change. Especially in low snow winters. The fact that something can happen doesn't mean it will. Even some of our blockbuster winters were over by then. I'd like to see the numbers since around 1980. If I were a betting man, I'd bet against much more snow this year. But as I always have said, it would only be a bet. We can have a blizzard in April. Saw it happen in 1982. Just once. Can't say what happened when I was a toddler, but that was the only one I remember in my 56 years. I guess we will know soon enough. This does seem unusual in light of the past few years though. Perhaps growing up in the 70's and being a young adult in the 80's has colored my perceptions of March, a month i'd usually have the boat in the water and be actively fishing Raritan Bay; it was warm enough. 

Well 3 of the last 4 winters in NYC March has been the snowiest month. Colonia is not that far from NYC so I wouldn't think it's that different. Warm march? I guess it depends on what you define as warm.

I've lived my entire life in the HV so March is just another winter month to me, especially the first three weeks, and always has been.

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Well 3 of the last 4 winters in NYC March has been the snowiest month. Colonia is not that far from NYC so I wouldn't think it's that different. Warm march? I guess it depends on what you define as warm.

I've lived my entire life in the HV so March is just another winter month to me, especially the first three weeks, and always has been.

It's not far from SI. It's a fair distance from say, the Bronx, enough to make a real difference. In fact, I can't go by CP measurements at all, some storms, like last Jan or Feb 2013, gave much more to the city than my area. Same was true in the famous late feb 2010 storm; 8 inches for me. I'm in a soft snow hole in general, probably has something to do with the upper Raritan Bay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Speaking of March 1888, because there's really nothing snow wise to talk about this winter, in addition to the blizzard, the average temperature in NYC for March 1888 was 29.9°, I still find that as amazing as the blizzard.  That was about 0.3° above the January average at the time. Now it would be almost 3 degrees above the current January 30 year average. It still remains, and probably always will, as the only March to have an average temperature in NYC below 30°.

Don't get me started on the 21 inch measurement in Manhattan. I've studied the pictures and the surrounding areas measurements and there is little doubt in my mind that Manhattan received somewhere between 30-36 inches from that storm. Brooklyn and Queens measured 36 inches and New Haven 45, Albany 48 and Saratoga 58.

I'd be curious what Uncles take is on the Manhattan measurement, as I don't know of any better weather historian out there.

It’s the one storm that I would love to see a repeat of.  Of course, like the hurricane of 38 it’s so rare I might not live long enough to see it happen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Climo begins to work against us for sure. Yeah we had last March but that’s a somewhat rare bird.  The “heart” of met winter ends 2/6.    Hopes for any snowpack will really decline if we toss away 2/4-11

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I think you should consider moving south. there are so many places in the country where winters are milder, and some have better job prospects as well. I love the Atlanta suburbs, lots to do, nice housing for cheap, low taxes ( ok schools are not that great but their physical plant is far superior as they are newer ) and good weather. There are other reasons I wouldn't like living in the south, which I won't get into, and lack of snow would one of them but would be low on the list. But for younger people or retirees, there's little to recommend about most of the northeast. Unless you like winters.

Oh yeah there’s no way I’m staying here (knock on wood), and the climate is just one reason out of multiple.

3 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Meh. it's no fun if that's the normal weather there. They probably get sick of it. I know my BIL in ME is sick of the snow this year. But hey, I hope you have a great time. Go light on that "ski bum soup" as they call it.

Not only is it fun I'd bet that nearly everybody there looks forward to it. They need it to snow a couple of feet a week in the heart of snow season, their entire economy depends on it. There are 4 ski areas around the town that must have it and on the other side of the mountains are 4 more that also have to have it.

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I agree that it was way under measured. The storm had hurricane fource wind gusts. That would cause the snow crystals to break apart and settle big time. If it had been measured on a snow board it was a 30+ storm for the entire metro

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, gravitylover said:

In my case mt biking 8-10 times a month (sometimes more), hiking once or twice and assorted other activities didn't seem to make a difference and I managed to have a heart attack last month and then found out that there are two more arteries partially blocked. Funny thing is my cholesterol numbers aren't terrible but apparently my body just doesn't process it well.

So sorry my friend to hear you had a heart attack. It’s not the cholesterol that’s the issue, how are your triglycerides? High triglycerides can be problematic. Also, how are your blood sugar levels?   Transfats, refined carbs, wheat, white flour are what cause inflammation and may lead to heart disease.

I eat plenty of whole eggs, red meat etc. my total cholesterol is 181, triglycerides 75, fasted glucose 86. I leverage a ketogenic diet, carb cycling, intermittent fasting and avoid mainstream MDs to maintain a healthy fit lifestyle. There are plenty of alternative health professionals online that would back me up. Your regular doc most likely will just prescribe pills and not fix/address root cause. Healthy people don’t make money for big pharma, LOL. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jason215 said:

So sorry my friend to hear you had a heart attack. It’s not the cholesterol that’s the issue, how are your triglycerides? High triglycerides can be problematic. Also, how are your blood sugar levels?   Transfats, refined carbs, wheat, white flour are what cause inflammation and may lead to heart disease.

I eat plenty of whole eggs, red meat etc. my total cholesterol is 181, triglycerides 75, fasted glucose 86. I leverage a ketogenic diet, carb cycling, intermittent fasting and avoid mainstream MDs to maintain a healthy fit lifestyle. There are plenty of alternative health professionals online that would back me up. Your regular doc most likely will just prescribe pills and not fix/address root cause. Healthy people don’t make money for big pharma, LOL. 

I'm honestly not sure what some of those other numbers look like. Until this I hadn't been to a doc in years but expect that I'll be finding out a lot about what's going on inside of me soon. I've tried to eat reasonably well but have probably been too high in carbs, I also avoid white bread like the plague. I am pretty anal about avoiding transfats and saturated fats for years but I have (had ;) ) a thing for cookies and donuts. 

I'll resist the meds and pills route big time, heck I don't even do pain killers or cold medicine unless I absolutely must.

I guess I've been fooling myself that a high level of activity would counter so much of the bad stuff... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'm honestly not sure what some of those other numbers look like. Until this I hadn't been to a doc in years but expect that I'll be finding out a lot about what's going on inside of me soon. I've tried to eat reasonably well but have probably been too high in carbs, I also avoid white bread like the plague. I am pretty anal about avoiding transfats and saturated fats for years but I have (had ;) ) a thing for cookies and donuts. 

I'll resist the meds and pills route big time, heck I don't even do pain killers or cold medicine unless I absolutely must.

I guess I've been fooling myself that a high level of activity would counter so much of the bad stuff... 

I expect that you will be on some pill regimen for the rest of your life-