Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

You'd think a person who was able to sit through college physics would be smart than that.

He gives the weenies what they want to here in the beginning of the year then he bails at the end,all about $$$$$$$$$

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dan76 said:

He gives the weenies what they want to here in the beginning of the year then he bails at the end,all about $$$$$$$$$

See that is the number one thing I believe that drives these predictions in September and October of historic cold and historic snows. Many people don't realize this, but clicks = money. Nobody is going to read a headline that says "Mild winter and below average snowfall in the east". However, they will click if they see "Brutal cold and misery to control winter in the east". With that being said, we have been having a lot of historic snows of late. However, if you do look at temperatures they tell a different story overall. Winter 2014-2015 though was still about as end to end as we will get. 

2 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

See that is the number one thing I believe that drives these predictions in September and October of historic cold and historic snows. Many people don't realize this, but clicks = money. Nobody is going to read a headline that says "Mild winter and below average snowfall in the east". However, they will click if they see "Brutal cold and misery to control winter in the east". With that being said, we have been having a lot of historic snows of late. However, if you do look at temperatures they tell a different story overall. Winter 2014-2015 though was still about as end to end as we will get. 

I actually wasn't crazy about 14-15, as most of the events were small. 13-14 was far better, real nice events of 6-10 inches. But anything's better than this, unless of course you are like 99% of the rest of the population, who are grinning and saying thank god it hasn't snowed!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Literally everybody realizes that ratings are important. Agree with the sentiment tho.

I mean in relation to seasonal forecasts. If you look back when real money started to be able to be generated online, it was around that time that suddenly every season became historic. "Flooding spring rains" or "historic tornadoes" etc. I just see much more hysteria on long range seasonal forecasting. But believe it or not, not everyone does realize click online = money. A lot actually don't understand that. 

29 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I mean in relation to seasonal forecasts. If you look back when real money started to be able to be generated online, it was around that time that suddenly every season became historic. "Flooding spring rains" or "historic tornadoes" etc. I just see much more hysteria on long range seasonal forecasting. But believe it or not, not everyone does realize click online = money. A lot actually don't understand that. 

I think there is something to that. If it bleeds, it leads.....remember the "bomb cyclone?" it was really just an ordinary snowstorm, you'd have thought it was the blizzard of the century. But "intense snowstorm" just doesn't have the same ring to it....and with social media today every happy jack talks about the Euro and the GFS.....

• Like 1

Sensationalism in weather reporting has been going on for hundreds of years. The flavor of the hype simply changes with the times. Look at archived papers contemporary to any routine natural disaster in the 18th and 19th centuries... invariably, the headlines will read something like, "Devastating blow! Great gale of Friday last, at this place, was the worst in the memory of even the oldest residents." Then talk about how a wharf was briefly submerged and three grain silos got knocked over. There was a long period during which calling a storm "the worst in history" with only hyper-localized evidence in support was fashionable and expected. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Sensationalism in weather reporting has been going on for hundreds of years. The flavor of the hype simply changes with the times. Look at archived papers contemporary to any routine natural disaster in the 18th and 19th centuries... invariably, the headlines will read something like, "Devastating blow! Great gale of Friday last, at this place, was the worst in the memory of even the oldest residents." Then talk about how a wharf was briefly submerged and three grain silos got knocked over. There was a long period during which calling a storm "the worst in history" with only hyper-localized evidence in support was fashionable and expected. 

Snow up to their cod piece!

• Haha 1

It wont be a torch. Not the pattern this year.

Couple of above normal periods, but as another poster said: cold/dry, warm/rain, cold/dry...rinse and repeat.

We will probably eek our a few more dustings in between that and a more significant storm one time.

Dont look for prince charming to arrive on a horse though...

At this point, I dont know if this is banter or astute observations? :)

• Like 1