Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

7 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

"In recent months and years, you’ve likely noticed some changes to the Intellicast site as we’ve incorporated the Weather Underground personal weather station network"

Didn't see any explanation in there as to why the WU PWS network has become next to unusable recently.  Anyone got a new link?  I think I found what I was looking for but the navigation was horrible (and excessive) and can't bookmark anything but the starting page.

It's interesting because when WU was incorporated on Intellicast things were fine.  Now I have trouble even loading the site on all my devices, and some features, such as the hourly forecast, have not even been working.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

It's interesting because when WU was incorporated on Intellicast things were fine.  Now I have trouble even loading the site on all my devices, and some features, such as the hourly forecast, have not even been working.

Weather channel owns all of them, that explains it all that company is worth nothing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’ve got the US Olympic Luge team coming by later this morning to have practice on my driveway. 

My garage door was frozen to the ground this morning...thats a first for me. Almost ripped the damn thing right off the garage ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/20/2019 at 11:30 PM, NorthShoreWx said:

"In recent months and years, you’ve likely noticed some changes to the Intellicast site as we’ve incorporated the Weather Underground personal weather station network"

Didn't see any explanation in there as to why the WU PWS network has become next to unusable recently.  Anyone got a new link?  I think I found what I was looking for but the navigation was horrible (and excessive) and can't bookmark anything but the starting page.

They've been making some changes to the site, which they say will make it "better" but I think it's only better for their bottom line.

I talked to a third party developer of a program that accesses data (Weather1) from the site and downloads it and organizes it into spreadsheets and graphs and he said that the changes they made are to shut out third party developers unless they pay an exorbitant fee every month.  Before the weather channel owned WU, they only had to pay a one time fee for unlimited access to data that they could download and organize as they wished.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

see my post above

Have no idea how I missed that. Have to learn to have coffee before Interneting. That's really a shame. I'd imagine them getting rid of wunderground website over the years as well too which would suck. They already got rid of the blog section which I always enjoyed reading. I still think AccuWeather is a worse company though:D

• Like 1

We are now entering what is historically the best period in NYC for 6 plus inch snowfalls. There have been 193 six plus inch storms since 1870 occurring in the 5 month period between November 15th to April 13th. Seventy of them have occurred in the 30 day period between January 20th to February 18th.

NYC 6+ inch Snows - 10 day periods
1..... Nov-11-Nov-20
4..... Nov-21-Nov-30
6..... Dec-01-Dec-10
13.... Dec-11-Dec-20
18.... Dec-21-Dec-30
12.... Dec-31-Jan-09
15.... Jan-10-Jan-19
20... Jan-20-Jan-29
25... Jan-30-Feb-08
25... Feb-09-Feb-18

16.... Feb-19-Feb-28
18.... Feb-29-Mar-10
11.... Mar-11-Mar-20
2..... Mar-21-Mar-30
6..... Mar-31-Apr-09
1..... Apr-10-Apr-19

193.. Nov-15-Apr-13

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ForestHillWx said:

I remember it well. Just moved into Chester. Had a new puppy, a pregnant wife and 34" of snow to shovel. 

42 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I think I saw a flake that day but it was hard to be sure.

Yes, I immediately felt sick to my stomach after reading that post. 

• Sad 1

Anybody else not all gloom and doom about this winter?

Frankly, despite the lack of snow, I am enjoying the consistent cold and almost no extreme warmth that was featured in our last few winters.

Other than the 2 weeks around the Holidays, most of this winter from Nov onward has been surprisingly seasonal or BN...something we haven’t seen in a long time.

If I never save another 60 or 70 during winter months, I would be happy!

Just now, jfklganyc said:

Frankly, despite the lack of snow, I am enjoying the consistent cold and almost no extreme warmth that was featured in our last few winters.

Other than the 2 weeks around the Holidays, most of this winter from Nov onward has been surprisingly seasonal or BN...something we haven’t seen in a long time.

It’s like a 1980’s winter...cold at times but generally snowless..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

Do not feel the same way. I'll happily take a 2011/2012 warm winter if it won't snow. 

The last cold shot was miserable and it had nothing to show for it.

• Like 1

But that means you don’t enjoy winter correct ? 

I’m just thinking if you like cold and snow this winter Has been more consistently cold than recent winters.

For instance, that miracle snowstorm last February… Book ended by 70° weather...I would trade that snowstorm for consistently cold February with chances of snow.

The last few winters have featured snow that falls and quickly melts

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:37 PM, ILoveWinter said:

OT rules in the NFL are awful, game is basically decided on a coin toss. That about clinches my decision to not watch yet another Super Bowl with the Pats.

One team that won the toss was victorious, the other lost.  Rule is fine.  Play defense, Rams did.  Chiefs gave up 3 3rd and 10s in OT.  Terrible D.

19 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

But that means you don’t enjoy winter correct ? 

I’m just thinking if you like cold and snow this winter Has been more consistently cold than recent winters.

For instance, that miracle snowstorm last February… Book ended by 70° weather...I would trade that snowstorm for consistently cold February with chances of snow.

The last few winters have featured snow that falls and quickly melts

To me winters get their good grades through sustained snow cover. I need at least 60 days in the mid November through April 1  period with snow cover or the winter is a bust IMO. The last 2 winters I've gone over that, 67 days last year and 84 days the year before. This winter I'm at 9 days, that's a sh!tty winter, at least so far.

One big storm that melts within the week would not help much, at least from my perspective.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

To me winters get their good grades through sustained snow cover. I need at least 60 days in the mid November through April 1  period with snow cover or the winter is a bust IMO. The last 2 winters I've gone over that, 67 days last year and 84 days the year before. This winter I'm at 9 days, that's a sh!tty winter, at least so far.

One big storm that melts within the week would not help much, at least from my perspective.

Yeah, it’s a very interesting question. I am more a big snowstorm fan than an extended snow cover one. 15-16 was one of my favorite winters of this decade. The historic January snowstorm mattered much more to me than how long it stayed on the ground. 10-11 was probably the best of both worlds. Historic snowstorms and extended snow cover.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Do not feel the same way. I'll happily take a 2011/2012 warm winter if it won't snow. 

The last cold shot was miserable and it had nothing to show for it.

There's always the option to quit whinging and take up one of the many hobbies that avail of cold weather. Off the top of my head, I know ice climbers, ice fishermen, ice yachters, skaters, photographers, ski resort employees, and ski resort patrons who have all benefited wonderfully from the winter weather of the sort that you might expect from the northern states in the middle of January. Together, all those relatively small interest groups amass a formidable collective.

Further to all that, we need cold to snow. You'd never sign off on +10F for the rest of met. winter, as you know it would all but preclude the possibility of a big snowfall.