Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was just thinking about how we at least did not get shut out for January. Then I remembered even Jan 12 had a decent little event....

Jan 12 and Jan 02 were identical...a 10 day winter with a 4 inch storm around 1/20 or so....it was back to the blowtorch after the 10 days....both years had a great spring with no snowcover anywhere up north to send down the backdoor fronts etc

Brutal heatwave in Australia.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bhensonweather/status/1086146817371172864

Add this one to AU's grim heat tally: Thursday's *low* temperature of 96.6°F at the town of #Noona was the hottest daily minimum in Australian weather history.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bhensonweather/status/1086145452087468032

For the first time on record, the airport at Australia's capital city has hit 104°F on four consecutive days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

If we get no snow the public will deem this another bust by forecasters due to the constant hype all week by the media. Eventually we'll get hit but people won't believe its coming for real

its a bust for many but its an understandable bust since the guidance was jumping all over the place the last couple of days...…...

• Like 1

Congrats to DC folks on last week's storm, and congrats to N+W for this weekend's storm.  As a youngin' (28, Born 1990) I've been blessed in terms of how much snow we've gotten over the past 15 years. 

From one NY metro weenie to another....hold on tight and have patience....our snow will come...and with a vegeance. 

19 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It is a little odd for snowfall averages but their thinking is they want all averages closed on a calendar year basis.

For 30 year snowfall averages running from July 1 of the first year to June 30 of the last year may have been another way they could have gone, but then for temperature data your splitting up summer in the first and last years of the 30 year averages.  It all even out over the decades.

I like your idea, I think thats how they do it for heating and cooling degree days so they should do it for snowfall too

2 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Congrats to DC folks on last week's storm, and congrats to N+W for this weekend's storm.  As a youngin' (28, Born 1990) I've been blessed in terms of how much snow we've gotten over the past 15 years. 

From one NY metro weenie to another....hold on tight and have patience....our snow will come...and with a vegeance. 

NY is just in a bad place for snowfall, I remember back in the 80s the Mets explained our snow drought even in cold winters saying that the predominant storm tracks dont favor NY which is why both Baltimore and Boston have seen more big snowstorms than NY has.

Changing climate has altered that perspective lol.

• Confused 1