• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

Berwick, in southernmost Maine, reported a 0.1" dusting from last evening's flurries. That's the first measurable snowfall reported to cocorahs by Maine observers since 12/19, when 3 stations in eastern/northern Maine showed small amounts which actually fell during calendar 12/18.   It can't be too often when the whole of Maine goes entirely snow-free for a week in late December.  (Disclosure:  I don't think cocorahs has any regular observers in the Rangeley to Jackman region, or far northwestern areas.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Berwick, in southernmost Maine, reported a 0.1" dusting from last evening's flurries. That's the first measurable snowfall reported to cocorahs by Maine observers since 12/19, when 3 stations in eastern/northern Maine showed small amounts which actually fell during calendar 12/18.   It can't be too often when the whole of Maine goes entirely snow-free for a week in late December.  (Disclosure:  I don't think cocorahs has any regular observers in the Rangeley to Jackman region, or far northwestern areas.)

Awful Tom, 3.5" here for the month so far, Looks like we may tack on a couple depending on which model you want to hug.

15 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh FFS, the HRRR's website is shut down too. 

That has all sorts of goodies I can't get in AWIPS (like VIS and CIG). 

I can deal with the janitorial service not showing up for a week or the 1 ply toilet paper, but stop stealing my model data! :fulltilt:

Weather Forecasting of yore.

13 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Side roads and cars were a mess here this this morning. Still pretty icy out there. 32.9 with temperatures near 50 in West Boylston/Holden just a few miles away. This has occurred consistently in this type of set up over the years here as the cold air gets trapped on the east of the hills. 

Yeah. I was running errands between my home and Gardner MA. Temps were as much as 12F different in just a couple of miles.  Evening out now

40 car crashes in Fitchburg this morning due to ice

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. I was running errands between my home and Gardner MA. Temps were as much as 12F different in just a couple of miles.  Evening out now

40 car crashes in Fitchburg this morning due to ice

The ice was a disaster in SNH this morning 

had to be tons of wrecks 

35 now at 215 in Nashua 

3 hours ago, MarkO said:

Temp holding steady, dropping actually. 31.5/31. Density to the pack!

Only got up to 35F here today, been rotting at 34F at the ASOS and my car has said the same 34F throughout town. 

The inch of snow/sleet hasn't even melted off, so far this is actually a very minor net gain lol. 

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Only got up to 35F here today, been rotting at 34F at the ASOS and my car has said the same 34F throughout town. 

The inch of snow/sleet hasn't even melted off, so far this is actually a very minor net gain lol. 

for you maybe, that 1 or so inch doubled my pack, :D !

I actually believe I'm in a snow hole. I probably average about 90-100". That's not a lot for the southern Whites. This year it seems Maine has been doing pretty well. Actually, Wildcat is probably most over average. You guys have had a better than average season (even record territory for a bit). Hopefully NY storm is more wet than white.

FWIW, the CAA comes in like a lion.  Wind's a ripping......I've never seen things trigger the motion-sensing light.

Doing our first ORH house showing today.  Love the look of it on-line and from the drive-by we did.  Not thrilled by only 630' elevation.  Now that we've accepted an offer on Pit1, we can legitimately consider making offers now.

43*--down 2* in 10 minutes.  Didn't we just watch this movie a week ago??

14 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

FWIW, the CAA comes in like a lion.  Wind's a ripping......I've never seen things trigger the motion-sensing light.

Doing our first ORH house showing today.  Love the look of it on-line and from the drive-by we did.  Not thrilled by only 630' elevation.  Now that we've accepted an offer on Pit1, we can legitimately consider making offers now.

Good luck with everything, but try to stick to 900’ or higher. :lol: 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Stay safe 

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Why Worcester, Mike? Can you go to any local town?

With my wife working at Clark we certainly have a wide-range of towns we can consider.  She's a bit 'done' with country living at this point.  And, the houses on the west side are just fantastic homes architecturally.  There are so many 1890-1930 Victorians and Arts/Crafts home there.  I've always thought the houses in Worcester are as awesome as you can find anywhere.  

Plus, ORH is finally achieving it's long-sought and long-promised renaissance:  https://www.npr.org/2018/10/23/658263218/forget-oakland-or-hoboken-worcester-mass-is-the-new-it-town so despite the price of the west-side homes, I think it would be a positive investment.  That said, I'm not sure what we'll do with 4000 sf (other than need to buy an awful lot of furniture).  :)

39*

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m worried about Rays forecast 

The fact that he's been hung-ho on a strong is reassuring--Ray really knows his stuff.  With each cutter and the pattern change incessantly being pushed back has me seeing this as a really bad ratter.  We may very well make it from December- mid-January with 1".  We'll see what happens beyond mid-January.

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

The fact that he's been hung-ho on a strong is reassuring--Ray really knows his stuff.  With each cutter and the pattern change incessantly being pushed back has me seeing this as a really bad ratter.  We may very well make it from December- mid-January with 1".  We'll see what happens beyond mid-January.

My hunch is things start to turn around first week of January, but I’m not sure this ends up being a big snow winter in the northeast . It’ll snow a fair bit, but it may just be normal