Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

My hunch is things start to turn around first week of January, but I’m not sure this ends up being a big snow winter in the northeast . It’ll snow a fair bit, but it may just be normal 

If we were to wind up with normal after the first 6 weeks of met-Winter producing zilch, we will have had a great second half.  

My dog's water dish ended up staying frozen with yesterdays storm/last night's mild up and I still have a lingering patch of snow.  Shocked to see either.

38*

Some of us did get a decent head start with November overperforming.  I would only need around 60” to reach normal. Totally doable.   Won’t be easy though. Could be something like 12” in Jan, 25” in Feb, 15” in March, 8” in April...

Good thing with the rains, no pack to preserve.   Wachusett not enjoying them though

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

With my wife working at Clark we certainly have a wide-range of towns we can consider.  She's a bit 'done' with country living at this point.  And, the houses on the west side are just fantastic homes architecturally.  There are so many 1890-1930 Victorians and Arts/Crafts home there.  I've always thought the houses in Worcester are as awesome as you can find anywhere.  

Plus, ORH is finally achieving it's long-sought and long-promised renaissance:  https://www.npr.org/2018/10/23/658263218/forget-oakland-or-hoboken-worcester-mass-is-the-new-it-town so despite the price of the west-side homes, I think it would be a positive investment.  That said, I'm not sure what we'll do with 4000 sf (other than need to buy an awful lot of furniture).  :)

39*

More bang for the buck buying in the city vs the more expensive towns around it.   The value should appreciate faster as well if things go alright.

winds were pretty strong last night. Christmas decorations tipped. 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

More bang for the buck buying in the city vs the more expensive towns around it.   The value should appreciate faster as well if things go alright.

winds were pretty strong last night. Christmas decorations tipped. 

My snobby brother and sister-in-law who used to live and die with everything that was Cambridge (and have since moved to Harvard) have discovered the best restaurants are in fact in ORH, not in their old stomping grounds.

The winter of 2018-2019 causing for threats by blowing inflatable snowmen and reindeer than WWA.  Sad.  Very sad.

30 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

My snobby brother and sister-in-law who used to live and die with everything that was Cambridge (and have since moved to Harvard) have discovered the best restaurants are in fact in ORH, not in their old stomping grounds.

The winter of 2018-2019 causing for threats by blowing inflatable snowmen and reindeer than WWA.  Sad.  Very sad.

You have lots of in law issues lol. Best of luck in your search.  I always liked ORH even in the seedy times. Mix of blue collar, college kids, and chic. Tons of memories 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You have lots of in law issues lol. Best of luck in your search.  I always liked ORH even in the seedy times. Mix of blue collar, college kids, and chic. Tons of memories 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I remember how depressive ORH used to be in the late 80s and 90s when I played soccer up there. Place was a dump. It’s made a remarkable comeback. Well done.

They're great folks---just different life styes!.  :)

Growing up in New London even we thought Worcester was bad.  That's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black!  We had lived there in the early 2000's.  It's funny how life comes full-circle some times.

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

They're great folks---just different life styes!.  :)

Growing up in New London even we thought Worcester was bad.  That's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black!  We had lived there in the early 2000's.  It's funny how life comes full-circle some times.

Best rock and blues local bands as well. Lol I just have read your in law's comments over the years. Obviously you are in Mass instead of Maine for more than just the cat, just sayin. 

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

The fact that he's been hung-ho on a strong is reassuring--Ray really knows his stuff.  With each cutter and the pattern change incessantly being pushed back has me seeing this as a really bad ratter.  We may very well make it from December- mid-January with 1".  We'll see what happens beyond mid-January.

It certainly has the hallmarks of a big time ratter. I don't see a 14/15 repeat, the Pacific looks far more hostile this year. 

Last night's EPS/GEFS runs were not very good heading into mid January. 

YTD rain an incredible 76.89 about 25 inches above normal. Just in one year erased a 5 year 20 plus inch deficit.  Balance .

Jan to Dec 2018 totals

Rain 76.89 in. Snow 78.7 in. SWE 7.97 in Temp 51.3 +.5 AN

My station had 78.53 rain but the stratus along with snow core sampling yielded 76.89. Its important to use the Stratus and core sample. Yesterday both matched exactly but I have found the tipping bucket can be a .1 or so off. That adds up in 365 days. I had 169 days with at least a trace of precip 

• Like 1

High of 54 yesterday, currently sitting at 50 degrees, no CAA yet...but it is coming...contemplating going to Northampton to check out NETA, aka the pot shop...it seems to be getting the best reviews online, and i think you can actually go inside and talk with a bud tender and mot have to order from a paper menu while standing outside in the parking lot. 

I bought candy chews at the Wareham shop. 8 pieces of candy per bag, 5mg thc each. I cut one in half last night and waited 2hrs, didnt feel a thing, took the other half and waited, didnt feel a thing...ended up taking a tried and true benadryl at 1am so I could sleep. 

Maybe tonight I will eat dinner early so my stomach will be emptier when I pop another chew. I eat a whole piece instead of cutting it in half.

6 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

High of 54 yesterday, currently sitting at 50 degrees, no CAA yet...but it is coming...contemplating going to Northampton to check out NETA, aka the pot shop...it seems to be getting the best reviews online, and i think you can actually go inside and talk with a bud tender and mot have to order from a paper menu while standing outside in the parking lot. 

I bought candy chews at the Wareham shop. 8 pieces of candy per bag, 5mg thc each. I cut one in half last night and waited 2hrs, didnt feel a thing, took the other half and waited, didnt feel a thing...ended up taking a tried and true benadryl at 1am so I could sleep. 

Maybe tonight I will eat dinner early so my stomach will be emptier when I pop another chew. I eat a whole piece instead of cutting it in half.

indica for sleep, sativa for pain but alert, hybrid to relax. You need to ramp up your dosage or try vaping. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

indica for sleep, sativa for pain but alert, hybrid to relax. You need to ramp up your dosage or try vaping. 

Well, i figured i would do it rather slow, i dont have much experience with pot, so i need to learn how it affects me. The chews are an unknown strain, and the employees in wareham couldnt tell me anything.

The type of info and selection im looking for is only available to those with a med card, slim choices on the rec side. Im not a fan of inhaling anything into my lungs...I experimemt with edibles and if it ends up that Benadryl works best, Ill just stick with benadryl.

55 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Best rock and blues local bands as well. Lol I just have read your in law's comments over the years. Obviously you are in Mass instead of Maine for more than just the cat, just sayin. 

LOL--have an escape here has been a blessing!  Barring miraculous timing of closing here and closing at a new place, I'm going to find myself back up there.  Suffice it to say it will be hell.

As far as bands go, J. Geils started there when he was a student at WPI.  Not music, but so were the Coors Light twins.  There are two reasons to go there. 

54 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It certainly has the hallmarks of a big time ratter. I don't see a 14/15 repeat, the Pacific looks far more hostile this year. 

Last night's EPS/GEFS runs were not very good heading into mid January. 

Climate alarmists may call this a winter of fore.

My neighbor gave me a bag of grass. Nice neighbors btw. I'm not a smoker but I bought a vape pen for it to help relax. The couple times I've done it, I'm not feeling much. Back in college when I did it once I got a greater high. Maybe vape pen setting is too low or high?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Well, i figured i would do it rather slow, i dont have much experience with pot, so i need to learn how it affects me. The chews are an unknown strain, and the employees in wareham couldnt tell me anything.

The type of info and selection im looking for is only available to those with a med card, slim choices on the rec side. Im not a fan of inhaling anything into my lungs...I experimemt with edibles and if it ends up that Benadryl works best, Ill just stick with benadryl.

Please no Benadryl. 5mg is on the low side and if you only took half it’s rare that you will feel much at all. 5mg is actually a good starting point, a full 5mg...then you go up from there as needed. 

53 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

My neighbor gave me a bag of grass. Nice neighbors btw. I'm not a smoker but I bought a vape pen for it to help relax. The couple times I've done it, I'm not feeling much. Back in college when I did it once I got a greater high. Maybe vape pen setting is too low or high?

Vape is oil.?

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Do some research and by god ditch the benadryl 

https://www.leafly.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Assuming you got a pen that was made for actual dry herb not oil it is almost always a case of temp being to low not too high.  Try the highest setting and work back from there if you are getting a "burned popcorn" odor.   You should obviously be getting only the vapor which is more steam like but can still cause you to cough if you get too much. You will know it's right when you get a noticeable, flavorful exhale.   I only use cannabis occasionally but I still find if you want full effects and most bang for your buck, go with a good old fashioned smoking.  If it's for pain relief I tend to use an evening tincture to get all the physical effects but less of the psychoactive effects.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Assuming you got a pen that was made for actual dry herb not oil it is almost always a case of temp being to low not too high.  Try the highest setting and work back from there if you are getting a "burned popcorn" odor.   You should obviously be getting only the vapor which is more steam like but can still cause you to cough if you get too much. You will know it's right when you get a noticeable, flavorful exhale.   I only use cannabis occasionally but I still find if you want full effects and most bang for your buck, go with a good old fashioned smoking.  If it's for pain relief I tend to use an evening tincture to get all the physical effects but less of the psychoactive effects.

Tell me a bit about tinctures. Can you buy it? What do you look for and how do you use it?