Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/19 Winter Banter and General Discussion - We winter of YORE

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

No this actually happened one winter.  A moose must've gotten disoriented in fog or bad weather or at night and just walked off a cliff, landing upside down 100 feet below and found by skiers going to a popular area off the Gondola that starts under those cliffs.  

What happened to the moose? he farted and you got a half of foot of snow?

17 minutes ago, alex said:

Drove down to Logan to pick up my brother, and wow. I did not realize how bad things are. There's basically no snow to speak of south of the notch, and the temperature went from 34 in Boston to -1 when I got home. It's like different worlds. It's hard to believe it's the end of December. I can definitely understand why so much gloom in here. 

Um hello, i live further south along the coast in plymouth...we have maybe gotten a half inch...it really hasnt been good any further south than dendrite land...super gradient winter

1 hour ago, alex said:

Drove down to Logan to pick up my brother, and wow. I did not realize how bad things are. There's basically no snow to speak of south of the notch, and the temperature went from 34 in Boston to -1 when I got home. It's like different worlds. It's hard to believe it's the end of December. I can definitely understand why so much gloom in here. 

Dews in the 60s FTL

So if we're going to warm up and rain at intervals until it gets colder, why does it have to be Friday when I have to work?  Saturday forecasts of a 45 or 50 degree high temperature are at midnight... and it drops through the twenties with a 25-30 NW or NNW wind.  It makes a bike ride up the Mohawk not nearly as much fun into the wind funneling down the valley, you can't really take advantage of the twenty miles home downwind because by the time you turn your arms are too cold to operate the shifters well any more.  Makes me grumpy.  

All the pessimism in the model thread reminds me of a TV meteorologist in Albany years ago who was steadfast in his winter prediction that nothing would happen until late January but then look out... all winter he's saying yes, it's raining, yes it's cold as hell and dry but just you wait... and in February he's there on the TV barely able to hide his big cat-canary-eating grin going "Told ya".  I wish I was intelligent enough to keep a weather diary so I could name the year but it was in the eighties somewhere I think.  I have to say what I remember about some of those winters in the eighties was three days of bone chilling cold then a rainstorm then three days of cold then a rainstorm... all winter long... so it could have been the nineties sometime.     

8 years ago, one of the best storm meltdowns was hours away. Even Ryan and Tip got caught up in it. Granted I do understand the frustrations of 1/4sm vis with 1/4”/hr accumulations of sand. It was a great storm near BOS with 18-20”. Significant coastal flooding and wind damage south of the city where wet snow and 60-70mph winds brought down trees. Even orange mass gusted over 50kts. Extremely rare for the interior. NYC and NJ had incredible snows of 20-30” with 4”/hr TSSN. Pretty awesome storm that bottomed out in the low 960s I believe as it crossed ACK. That started the 6 weeks of fun. 

We had around a foot in ORH. But we were def getting some low level orographic enhancement. You could see it on the radar as east and west of the ORH eastern slope was much worse echoes. The wind was definitely awesome in that storm. The frustration though for those who got porked in that storm would wear off quickly as you said...January 2011 was legit epic. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had around a foot in ORH. But we were def getting some low level orographic enhancement. You could see it on the radar as east and west of the ORH eastern slope was much worse echoes. The wind was definitely awesome in that storm. The frustration though for those who got porked in that storm would wear off quickly as you said...January 2011 was legit epic. 

The areas that didn’t do so hot ended up doing very well in the January storm. 

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The areas that didn’t do so hot ended up doing very well in the January storm. 

And some of the region that got really porked (like in CT near Hartford) got smoked in the 1/7-8 norlun/inverted trough. Like 8-12" in that. Then got smoked again 4 days later. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Nice light snow falling, wasn't expecting it.

Half inch of absolute dust on the ground so far.  Now every time I clean these light amounts off my car I picture Dendrite in a fit of rage annoyed his car is covered again.  

Decent little pulse of moisture with the great snow growth temps.

IMG_1688.GIF.1f032ff3a42367d2800b42d09cd3144f.GIF

Congrats! Hopefully in the southern areas soon.......we continue to wait

45 minutes ago, 512high said:

Congrats! Hopefully in the southern areas soon.......we continue to wait

It'll come for the southern areas... then it'll be our turn to sit here waiting for flakes.  Mid-winter climo will get the snow falling down south as we get deeper into January.

Up this way, snowy evening.  What started as a fluffy snow has started mixing with graupel and rimed flakes, more of a convective type snow.  About an inch of new down here in the valley at home and it is coming down nicely.

kAympos.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice light snow falling, wasn't expecting it.

Half inch of absolute dust on the ground so far.  Now every time I clean these light amounts off my car I picture Dendrite in a fit of rage annoyed his car is covered again.  

Decent little pulse of moisture with the great snow growth temps.

I was thinking it was a giant red flag that the cloud deck was square in the middle of the DGZ, any lift should've produced some snow. Given the terrain I had likely PoP north of the notches, but modeling was poor to say the least.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh FFS, the HRRR's website is shut down too. 

That has all sorts of goodies I can't get in AWIPS (like VIS and CIG). 

I can deal with the janitorial service not showing up for a week or the 1 ply toilet paper, but stop stealing my model data! :fulltilt:

MAGA=Models Are Going Away

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh FFS, the HRRR's website is shut down too. 

That has all sorts of goodies I can't get in AWIPS (like VIS and CIG). 

I can deal with the janitorial service not showing up for a week or the 1 ply toilet paper, but stop stealing my model data! :fulltilt:

Hold the paychecks but don’t take away the HRRR. 

Just back from a week-plus in SNJ, where it barely got below 32 the whole time.  Though in the dark (got home just before 1 this AM), we didn't even see a plow pile until the I-95 off ramp in Augusta.  Pack still 7" outside, probably would stop a bullet, and icy driveway.   Measured 23.4" in Nov, plus 1.5" in Oct, only 4.0" this month.  Since the 2" miss of 12/2, we've had more inches of RA than SN, though the ice cube in my catch bucket is still melting so I haven't got a precise amount for last Friday.  (And the bulge in the bottom of that 5-gal bucket reinforces my practice of taking in the thicker/stiffer Stratus for the cold season.  I've no doubt that the base would've been wrecked had it been in place for the RA/freeze.)