Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November/December Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

10 minutes ago, yoda said:

00z GFS is an E WV to I-81 special... Blue Ridge and west get snowstorm... I-95 corridor so-so until you get near BWI... C MD does well

This is for the Dec 8-10 storm

Track is ideal.  850s are ok. Gfs has been running warm in the lower levels so I wouldn't worry about it. Was a great run imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, yoda said:

This is probably more realistic than TT snowmap... this is the IWM snowmap... white/blue shading is 3" line... light pink is 6" line... yellow is 12" zone... orange to the dark red is 18"+

00zGFS11-30-18snowfalltotal240hours.png

Forgive me, but...why do we even start talking about totals and snow maps for something in the day 8+ range? I mean...I know this is the medium/long range thread but...just seems way premature...

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Forgive me, but...why do we even start talking about totals and snow maps for something in the day 8+ range? I mean...I know this is the medium/long range thread but...just seems way premature...

I don't think yoda is expecting it to verify. It's just for the sake of evaluating if it's a good run imo. Why not?  It's just for fun. You're right it doesn't add much value to a forecast at this range but I don't see the harm in discussing what the run shows for fun. 

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

You see the TT map posted above?  Most times the TT maps are overdone with the snow amounts and they are often posted... just figured to show another one that is more likely to be correct with snowfall totals if this run came to fruition 

@yoda take a look at the fv3. Track is inside the gfs...but still is a great front end snow before a flip along 95 because it's colder. It's been doing better with thermals. If the track were like the gfs it probably would be all or mostly snow.  Of course a track difference of 50-100 miles is nothing at day 8 so this is all a bit silly just pointing out I think the gfs is likely to run too warm and so I would worry about the key features more than the exact temps and snow output. 

• Like 1

00z: d5 system is now religated to a slight risk SW- with vortmax passage. Surface low never phases except on GFS with 1 inch potential mainly south of BWI.  Day 9 system, the good news is the Euro is not sending surface low to Pittsburgh. Looks alot like FV3 with significant snows along, and north and west of I-95 corridor. For your viewing pleasure the d5 depiction and snowfall liguid equalant map in mm.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_21.png

SN_000-240_0000.gif

1 hour ago, Scud said:

00z: d5 system is now regulated to a slight risk SW- with vortmax passage. Surface low never phases except on GFS with 1 inch potential mainly south of BWI.  Day 9 system, the good news is the Euro is not sending surface low to Pittsburgh. Looks alot like FV3 with significant snows along, and north and west of I-95 corridor. For your viewing pleasure the d5 depiction and liguid equalant map in mm.

Snowcover is moving south steadily > models. 

Why are we Discussing exact placement of 850 0c lines, rain snow lines, etc 8+ days out? Let’s focus on the teleconnections, the placement of the jet stream, blocking and snow cover in eastern Canada etc. The finer details will come into sight as we get closer. At this point, a storm being in the area is looking likely. But let’s not bite too early. It’s still possible the storm hits the interior northeast, or the opposite, it slides to our south. The setup is iffy and I’d like to see this improve at h5 850 700 before getting excited. Until then, it’s looking more likely that a snowstorm hits for Hoffman and company with snow to a change over for the 95 corridor than a significant area wide snow event. That being said... we’ve got a long way to go and the potential is still absolutely there for the entire Baltimore DC corridor to see appreciable snow. 

By the way.. thanks for having me everyone. Love this board. After I received my meteorology degree, I ended up changing careers and work for Apple. However, it’s great to have a place to channel my inner weather geek! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Why are we Discussing exact placement of 85 0c lines, rain snow lines, etc 8+ days out? Let’s focus on the teleconnections, the placement of the jet stream, blocking and snow cover in eastern Canada etc. The finer details will come into sight as we get closer. At this point, a storm being in the area is looking likely. But let’s not bite too early. It’s still possible the storm hits the interior northeast, or the opposite, it slides to our south. The setup is iffy and I’d like to see this improve at h5 850 700 before getting excited. Until then, it’s looking more likely that a snowstorm hits for Hoffman and company with snow to a change over for the 95 corridor than a significant area wide snow event. That being said... we’ve got a long way to go and the potential is still absolutely there for the entire Baltimore DC corridor to see appreciable snow. 

By the way.. thanks for having me everyone. Love this board. After I received my meteorology degree, I ended up changing careers and work for Apple. However, it’s great to have a place to channel my inner weather geek! 

Because its fun. 850mb isotherms represent forecast thickness of cold air and the enevitable warm nose. That said. We were given permission.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Why are we Discussing exact placement of 850 0c lines, rain snow lines, etc 8+ days out? Let’s focus on the teleconnections, the placement of the jet stream, blocking and snow cover in eastern Canada etc. The finer details will come into sight as we get closer. At this point, a storm being in the area is looking likely. But let’s not bite too early. It’s still possible the storm hits the interior northeast, or the opposite, it slides to our south. The setup is iffy and I’d like to see this improve at h5 850 700 before getting excited. Until then, it’s looking more likely that a snowstorm hits for Hoffman and company with snow to a change over for the 95 corridor than a significant area wide snow event. That being said... we’ve got a long way to go and the potential is still absolutely there for the entire Baltimore DC corridor to see appreciable snow. 

Well said.  The FV3 and GFS Classic are quite different for 6z. op run so no biggie but I did notice the H is offshore which allows the storm to move more west hence the change over but still think 95 corridor could see a few inches before that happens.  lots of time to watch it and seeing suppressed solutions still gives me hope there is a middle ground.  not bad to be tracking in early Dec

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Sure did.

Then the 6z GEFS shifted notably towards southern Florida, lol.

its going to be quite a week trying to will this thing north, south, east, west...another tick, stopping the ticks, preserving the sweet spot...we are all in now

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I know I read here that a puppy dies every time a 384 hour surface map gets posted, but what happens when a 200+ hour snowfall clown map or 850-line map gets posted? Please tell me the consequential sacrifice isn't as severe. 

Yeah there is another thread for digital snow clown maps for day 10 "threats".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Sure did.

Then the 6z GEFS shifted notably towards southern Florida, lol.

Was never really too high on this Tues/Wed possible storm for the DC/Balt region. Setup argued for a suppressed and progressive system more then anything else with possibly a narrow swath of snow on the northern edge somewhere in the southern portions of the mid-Atlantic. That said, some of the improvements I have seen at 500 the last couple of days says maybe not to give up on it just quite yet for up in our region.

13 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I know I read here that a puppy dies every time a 384 hour surface map gets posted, but what happens when a 200+ hour snowfall clown map or 850-line map gets posted? Please tell me the consequential sacrifice isn't as severe. 

the puppy sacrifice is for anything over 240hrs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Was never really too high on this Tues/Wed possible storm for the DC/Balt region. Setup argued for a suppressed and progressive system more then anything else with possibly a narrow swath of snow on the northern edge somewhere in the southern portions of the mid-Atlantic. That said, some of the improvements I have seen at 500 the last couple of days says maybe not to give up on it just quite yet for up in our region.

I was actually referring to the Dec 9-10 potential event. The midweek deal is going to be conversational at best as it looks now.

The troubling part of the second threat on the gfs, for me, is that the storm seems to be disappearing from some of the ens members. I liked that it was pretty much on all of them a couple of days ago.

This is the time though that I think at least in the past where models can sometimes kind of lose a storm for a day or two.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic