Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We proved a scientific fact there is a bump up of average temps all across NE the 23rd and 24th. Also we found a slight precip increase. Grinch is real

We've proved it is real historically, but we haven't proved a physical cause for it....i.e., it could be random chance. Out of so many days, you are likely to have a few that buck climo by random chance over a 100 year sample. If that is the case, then it won't have any skill at predicting the future. If there is an acute physical cause, then it will. I lean toward it being random variance, but obviously can't rule out there is a physical reason behind it....if there is, it just hasn't been proven yet.

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We've proved it is real historically, but we haven't proved a physical cause for it....i.e., it could be random chance. Out of so many days, you are likely to have a few that buck climo by random chance over a 100 year sample. If that is the case, then it won't have any skill at predicting the future. If there is an acute physical cause, then it will. I lean toward it being random variance, but obviously can't rule out there is a physical reason behind it....if there is, it just hasn't been proven yet.

It's probably akin to the random daily record values that are wildly off neighboring days. A sample size for a single day over 100 years is not that large and could certainly introduce some randomness to the data.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

It's probably akin to the random daily record values that are wildly off neighboring days. A sample size for a single day over 100 years is not that large and could certainly introduce some randomness to the data.

In my current understanding of climo, I have no reason to believe there is some phenomenon that causes grinch cutters in the 2-3 days period near Xmas. Doesn't mean there isn't something well beyond my meteorological understanding though.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Are there actually more planes flying during the holidays or just more people in them?

Yeah...even if there are a few more I doubt it has an effect on global weather patterns. It sounds a bit voodoo like DT's weekend rule. I know Nick was probably just throwing out a possible cause if one was to assume it wasn't random chance so I'm not accusing him of actually believing it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Are there actually more planes flying during the holidays or just more people in them?

Pretty sure most flight are full these days anyway.

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS is basically a srfc trough passing through for storm two. Snow looks more for nrn spots, mtns etc. 

Next.