Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the 78 hour total. 4-5 is damn good for us this time of year

Very close to a legit CCB with wave 2 and if it happens it's right on top. We're already plenty cold. Best short range run of the winter. Makes me want to drink again....nah....

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Meh.  Congrats PSU tho

There is a way we both win...but it has to be getting wave 2 to amplify.  Wave one even if its suppressed will have issues in DC.  WAA this late needs a really really anomalous arctic cold air mass in place to do well at sea level our our latitude and I don't think we have that.  Plus if wave 1 is suppressed then qpf is lighter and so less cooling.  So I think DC can get some accumulation from wave 1...but DC can do really good if we get wave 2 more amped and get a real consolidated ccb to pull through.  Heights crashing and all...thats when you can get some real accumulations even down into the city.  Getting a stronger/slower wave 1 seems the key to that.  When things were moving away from a stronger wave 1 wave 2 was degrading also.  Now wave 1 is coming back and so is wave 2.  I dont think that is a coincidence. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Very close to a legit CCB with wave 2 and if it happens it's right on top. We're already plenty cold. Best short range run of the winter. Makes me want to drink again....nah....

Once I saw this look I was waiting for the pbp lol

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=neus&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2018031812&fh=84

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the 78 hour total. 4-5 is damn good for us this time of year

But why do we think 4-5 is going to actually accumulate? I know we all know the pretty 10:1 snow maps include sleet and obviously the 10:1 ratio. Honestly in DC, my bar would be 1-2” at best 

2 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

Wow, the EURO looks impressive at this point. Still doesn't have that 2nd wave, but i'll take it. Rain/snow line is an issue.

Stop posting if you don't know what you're talking about. Wave 2 is in succession and prolongs the event with cold surface. Wave 2 has room to amplify. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is a way we both win...but it has to be getting wave 2 to amplify.  Wave one even if its suppressed will have issues in DC.  WAA this late needs a really really anomalous arctic cold air mass in place to do well at sea level our our latitude and I don't think we have that.  Plus if wave 1 is suppressed then qpf is lighter and so less cooling.  So I think DC can get some accumulation from wave 1...but DC can do really good if we get wave 2 more amped and get a real consolidated ccb to pull through.  Heights crashing and all...thats when you can get some real accumulations even down into the city.  Getting a stronger/slower wave 1 seems the key to that.  When things were moving away from a stronger wave 1 wave 2 was degrading also.  Now wave 1 is coming back and so is wave 2.  I dont think that is a coincidence. 

Im fine with the Euro.  Our upside is 4" realistically. 

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

But why do we think 4-5 is going to actually accumulate? I know we all know the pretty 10:1 snow maps include sleet and obviously the 10:1 ratio. Honestly in DC, my bar would be 1-2” at best 

Look at the surface temp panels and then edit your post. 

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I'm not even looking at the stupid maps..which show double what I said.  And you're not in DC, so...

8 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I really like how cold the temps are on this run. Keeps us below freezing the entire time even during Tuesday afternoon.

Yeah it’s great, PSU should def be away from the ledge now

4 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

Wow, the EURO looks impressive at this point. Still doesn't have that 2nd wave, but i'll take it. Rain/snow line is an issue.

Make better posts. This is so wrong.

Just now, H2O said:

That’s says anyone DC south needs rates. Light precip won’t cut it

There's already snow on the ground. Might be potatoes but VERBATIM the euro is almost a best case scenario. Just need wave 2 to boogie a little more and the precip falls into probably the best late march column you can ask for. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived