Newest Member
    joxey
March 1-2 wind event

Ji

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Man, that's too bad. UMCP has some prized species on their campus including some elm trees that (I think) survived the Dutch elm disease.

Oh I know. really beautiful campus when in full bloom. 

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

MARC/VRE/METRO rail all impacted which affects Fed employees.

Just now slogged through 20+ email alerts in my inbox, finding notices from those very three services, so call to shutdown not so shocking. Skies are clearing now and there's an uptick in frequency and intensity of gusts now. Temp rose a degree to 43.

Just now, vastateofmind said:

Just now slogged through 20+ email alerts in my inbox, finding notices from those very three services, so call to shutdown not so shocking. Skies are clearing now and there's an uptick in frequency and intensity of gusts now. Temp rose a degree to 43.

Yea with the sun coming out it should start mixing things down.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Trees down left and right it looks like.

I'm getting sunlight now. I'm thinking the next few hours may end up being peak wind, looking at the HRRR, although NAM suggests later tonight it could get fun again too.

You call this disaster fun? lol

2 minutes ago, Jebman said:

You call this disaster fun? lol

Lol Jeb. C'mon a little wind won't hurt you. This isn't remotely bad... I mean, maybe for up here because apparently the trees here can't really handle these winds... but it's a nice fun taste of what I used to get with tropical.

Sort of.

The lack of rain with all this wind, and the temperature, really makes me feel weird.

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Lol Jeb. C'mon a little wind won't hurt you. This isn't remotely bad... I mean, maybe for up here because apparently the trees here can't really handle these winds... but it's a nice fun taste of what I used to get with tropical.

Sort of.

The lack of rain with all this wind, and the temperature, really makes me feel weird.

You call this a little wind? lmao

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Can anyone explain why sunlight is supposed to make the wind stronger? In my past experience rain generally brings the winds down from the upper atmosphere. That's how it is with trop - the strongest winds are in the rain bands, not the spaces between.

Sunlight helps mixing. 

4 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Can anyone explain why sunlight is supposed to make the wind stronger? In my past experience rain generally brings the winds down from the upper atmosphere. That's how it is with trop - the strongest winds are in the rain bands, not the spaces between.

Sun heats the surface and leads to mixing of the boundary layer.  

Just now, PCT_ATC said:

you a controller?

No. Anyone can read PIREPs on aviationweather.gov. I always take a look during really windy times. This morning it's filled up with PIREPs for mod to sev turb and light to mod rime. Seems like most reports are coming under 8K ft. Smooths out above.

Archived