February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What's your take

IMG_20180202_112342.jpg

Frigid vortex....that thing ain't splitting anytime soon...but at least it is displaced slightly to our side of the pole. So we could def get some action from time to time....root for the EPO/WPO ridging though...without it, that's an ugly spot to be in because there's zero help int he Atlantic.

If things break right, it could def be a really nice stretch for NNE ski areas...and perhaps even down into NW MA...hopefully for Beast. They'll get some snow on Sunday night/Monday and then Wednesday could be a solid QPF snow shot for the base...and the pattern looks to continue active after that. Maybe another threat on 2/10-11.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Frigid vortex....that thing ain't splitting anytime soon...but at least it is displaced slightly to our side of the pole. So we could def get some action from time to time....root for the EPO/WPO ridging though...without it, that's an ugly spot to be in because there's zero help int he Atlantic.

I think the Pacific should save us again eventually. 

Dissapointing that nothing is in the pipeline for atlantic help, though. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd feel pretty decent about Wed in CNE/NNE...SNE interior still has a shot...esp pike northward. Hopefully this drops some good base for ski areas.

Looks like I'm right on the line of a sharp gradient up here.  It's still Friday so I'm sure it can shift quite a bit.  Meanwhile a ton of blowing snow right now.  Those 2" of fluff from yesterday and early this AM are blowing everywhere...

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If things break right, it could def be a really nice stretch for NNE ski areas...and perhaps even down into NW MA...hopefully for Beast. They'll get some snow on Sunday night/Monday and then Wednesday could be a solid QPF snow shot for the base...and the pattern looks to continue active after that. Maybe another threat on 2/10-11.

What is best case for interior SNE Sunday ? Ice to cold rain?

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What is best case for interior SNE Sunday ? Ice to cold rain?

Don't think theres much ice...low level cold is actually the problem for most of it...prob an inch wet snow to rain to best case for you, though right now I prob wouldn't forecast any accumulation. Far NW interior SNE could get a few inches if it breaks right....N ORH county over to MPM region.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Don't think theres much ice...low level cold is actually the problem for most of it...prob an inch wet snow to rain to best case for you, though right now I prob wouldn't forecast any accumulation. Far NW interior SNE could get a few inches if it breaks right....N ORH county over to MPM region.

So one of those maddening 34-36 degree rainers ?

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So one of those maddening 34-36 degree rainers ?

Prob more like 40F eventually. It's an ugly looking upper air...I've been half-expecting this to come in more and more diffuse and flatter, but it's being stubborn. The northern stream somehow keeps amplifying and becoming dominant despite a decent southern shortwave running ahead of it...it basically just dies and the low wants to develop north....if it didn't, we'd probably get a really good snow event. Just a frustrating quirk...but that's how it happens. It's weather.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Prob more like 40F eventually. It's an ugly looking upper air...I've been half-expecting this to come in more and more diffuse and flatter, but it's being stubborn. The northern stream somehow keeps amplifying and becoming dominant despite a decent southern shortwave running ahead of it...it basically just dies and the low wants to develop north....if it didn't, we'd probably get a really good snow event. Just a frustrating quirk...but that's how it happens. It's weather.

Well hopefully some of the snow survives

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It looks like here there is still a shot at a few inch front end thump but honestly, I'd almost prefer straight rain over rain into a few inches of slop.  Those are always a nightmare clearing the driveway before it freezes.  Hopefully by 18z tonight we start to see the GFS flatten or weaken more. 

30 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It looks like here there is still a shot at a few inch front end thump but honestly, I'd almost prefer straight rain over rain into a few inches of slop.  Those are always a nightmare clearing the driveway before it freezes.  Hopefully by 18z tonight we start to see the GFS flatten or weaken more. 

I'm with you. 

Keep it out there.

At this stage of winter, it takes 6"+ to pull me away from the fantasy baseball season previews.

Archived