• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Queencitywx

1/16-1/17 Event OBS

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

If we clear out tonight, I think we crack middle single digits 

Not to mention that line associated with the upper low seems to be expanding. Tack on another 1-2 in CrownTown then clear out? 

Anyone know what the snow ratios have been? We're certainly not seeing 15-18:1 stuff in these pre-made snowmen falling from the sky!

7 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

I am in far West Cary a mile or so from the Chatham County line at the intersection of Pony Club Circle and Cary Glen Blvd And I just measured 5" accumulation. Still snowing heavy.

I'm 3/4 mile west of you and we measured 5" about 30 min ago.  Still snowing steady.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solak said:

Anyone know what the snow ratios have been? We're certainly not seeing 15-18:1 stuff in these pre-made snowmen falling from the sky!

Pretty sure we've had those types of ratios since late morning at least. We've been averaging about an 1" an hour since 11. 

Just now, CaryWx said:

Are you folks done in Charlotte?  Radar from Raleigh (iControl) not showing anything now

Nope. Still snowing lightly..and we are intrigued by that back end wrap around approaching. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Despite a lack of returns overhead, it is snowing as heavily as it has all day! 

Same here!  I have a feeling that it will continue to snow for 3 more hours or so as the ull comes through. It often happens this way where heavy radar returns produce very little at the beginning of a storm but the opposite towards the end. We also have enhanced jet features and lots of lift. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poimen said:

Pretty sure we've had those types of ratios since late morning at least. We've been averaging about an 1" an hour since 11. 

Not here, been a wet heavy snow probably definitely closer to 10:1.  Was around 31 degrees all day.  Down to 28 though now and that backend coming through I am sure will have much better 15-20:1 ratios.

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

I'm near John Heister chevy and my roads are clear.  How are yours/

I am about the same area, off Air Park rd. Roads in the neighborhood range anywhere from slushy to a couple inches of snow. Mailman was slipping pretty good trying to get through here. 2.2" total so far with 0.8" in the last hour.

Really liking how the snow is expanding west of CLT-flurries have started back here.  Would be nice to get another 2-3 hrs more of snow.  

Measured 6" here in south Durham, though I can get some spots in the grassy areas around 7" (subtracting the grass, of course). Still coming down, though not quite as heavy as it's been at times. HRRR indicates another 1-3" possible.

So I'm assuming that the passage of the upper low brings enough lift to wring out the available low level moisture, because all the soundings were indicating pronounced drying aloft. What else can be responsible for this amount of snow that is both poorly modeled and poorly represented by radar?

Just now, WidreMann said:

Measured 6" here in south Durham, though I can get some spots in the grassy areas around 7" (subtracting the grass, of course). Still coming down, though not quite as heavy as it's been at times. HRRR indicates another 1-3" possible.

How do you measure rain? 

midtown raleigh,  measured almost exactly 3" at 2:55PM. flake size has decreased but still coming down at a good rate. wilk probably end up with 4.5 or so. not bad at all.