Newest Member
    joxey
January 4-6 Coastal Bomb Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Some of these gusts are downright scary. Getting a few power flickers now.

Heat cranked up just in case.

Had a few minutes of that kind of wind and power flickers just now for the 1st time today, did the same thing with the heat.

Going with 14" as a Total.  I was trying to figure it out after all my data and running around, and felt 14" was it.  Then I just saw an NWS Employee put down 14" in Cumberland.  So clearly I know what I'm doing as expected hahaha.  

Praying for a magic 1".  A 15" Snowstorm is a BIG Deal in my stats.  12" as well, but not nearly as much.  This was not a favorite for me on the fast moving Bombogenisis chart.  The 2 I have missed, 2/9/17 and the Blizzard of 2011 were surely better.  And 12/13/07, Holy December 9th were better as well.  It was however better than the February 2016 Bomb, and the December 2013 Bomb though.  Would put it right in line with the January 27 "Buzzsaw Bomb" : Where the best part was on Radar.  But I will say the Horizontal snow, may have been the BEST since December 9th.  

SO - Now to Historical Data: This was the 3rd year in a row with a True Bombogenisis storm.  First time since I have great storm by storm data going back to 1992 that That has occured.  What's up?  AND How low did this get, 949mb?  

Also - I held Ray before this season as the King forcaster.  A Shock coming from the fact that he just came on here and learned by reading.  But after he called the Timetable for a possible Big storm, and called This storm (we'll see just How accurate too when the total map comes out), he Really is Incredible.  He was all over this last Wednesday, and called the timetable in Early November.  

Tough to measure with these winds.  But after snow blowing the driveway for 2 hours, my estimate would be 17-18 inches here.  There was a drift in the driveway at the widest point that was 32" while there was nothing just a few feet away.  Call that 16".  The narrower part of the driveway was less susceptible to drifting and on either side of the path that was snowblowed, it was 20".  Another measurement in the back yard that was not drifted measured 17".  Not scientific, lol.  

46 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Gonna go with 14" as a final.

I stay at my 15" amount I said earlier.  What I think may have happened is the wind pounded the snow down.  So what people may have had over an hour or so ago may have a half an inch or so less snow as I type this.  Very possible and believable in this storm. PNS reports actually support this in the heart of hour viewing area.

13 or 14 is likely a good number for Newport RI. From 830 a.m. onward for 4 hours it snowed at good rate. We've now had several storms in this range as this picture from my back porch is similar. The only thing missing to make this storm more impactful was to have a solid accumulation on the backside of the system. good stuff, and surf tomorrow, bring it on!

20180104_182501.jpg

Archived