Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It also depends on where you are. There will still be a sharp cutoff, so for some off to the W and NW by a significant margin, it means paltry QPF still. I think what some of us are stating is that the area on the fence near HFD through CON or so could be happier than currently depicted. Maybe further west a bit?

looks like i'll be staying in Dover for this one, no need to head to Boscawen.

2 minutes ago, JBinStoughton said:

Great. Now in addition to all the other ways we can get screwed out of a big hit, we have “the storm was too strong to produce”. Geez 

While I appreciate the empathy....Stop!  You're in Stoughton for God's sake.  Get out to the stores now before the bread and milk are gone!

Just now, JBinStoughton said:

Great. Now in addition to all the other ways we can get screwed out of a big hit, we have “the storm was too strong to produce”. Geez 

Always a fair concern with these strong Miller As. Ideally don't want to see occlusion begin south of us. 

1 minute ago, JBinStoughton said:

It's happened before. We're one of the lucky spots on the globe where the storms tend to form and reach maturity near us. Sometimes they go beast mode in the SE and occlude and redevelop too far south for us. It's not like we've been screwed out of big events recently. lol

13 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Wait a minute.  thats maybe .3 to CON after a descripition of the run that would indicate it was coming way west.  Thats not weenies being weenies.  Something weird about this whole system/setup.

bingo

and the models are screaming there is a solid jump east no matter how tucked in it is in the more formative stages, they have to be onto something

Keep your expectations in check too...if you are thinking this is going to be another Jan 2015 or similar HECS, then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's possible this produces a lucky stripe of huge totals...it remains to be seen on how this exactly evolves as it approaches our latitude, but most likely we're talking about amounts under 16" for now. This is prob going to move fast...it's not a 30-36 hour storm.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Question: doesn't occlusion usually happen after max strength? The Euro keeps deepening this into the 940s to our northeast. 

Not necessarily. The surface low can continue to deepen after the occluded front forms but the occlusion process begins before the storm reaches minimum pressure. 

Someone less rusty can correct me or expand on the occlusion process...lol

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Keep your expectations in check too...if you are thinking this is going to be another Jan 2015 or similar HECS, then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's possible this produces a lucky stripe of huge totals...it remains to be seen on how this exactly evolves as it approaches our latitude, but most likely we're talking about amounts under 16" for now. This is prob going to move fast...it's not a 30-36 hour storm.

I'm still in the 6"+ mindset right now for SEMA.  I'll wait till 00z before I jump on the stuff I see now.

This happens every damn storm and its tiring 

Legitimate discussion relating to a model is poo-poo'd (because) it is not positive for snow.

Get over it..im talking about some mets and cheerleaders

The euro and gfs opening up the system and shunting this east, is a viable noteworthy topic relating to a storm's impact on the region as well as learning about the weather. Trying to eliminate discussion by saying "there saying its not gonna be a storm or queens" is just old and false lol.

A storm with mid levels that explode and has a 963mb(pressure) SE of hatteras has usually the best goods to our south. So in addition to speed of storm this is a reason to limit totals. Is there anything incorrect about this statement. I read other subforums, they Don't do this.

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Question: doesn't occlusion usually happen after max strength? The Euro keeps deepening this into the 940s to our northeast. 

Google warm seclusions. You'll find a lot of Ryan Maue's work. Things can get funky once the warm core pinches off.

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Not necessarily. The surface low can continue to deepen after the occluded front forms but the occlusion process begins before the storm reaches minimum pressure. 

Someone less rusty can correct me or expand on the occlusion process...lol

THanks! Good to know. Same to you, Dendrite. Will do.

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Legitimate discussion relating to a model is poo-poo'd (because) it is not positive for snow.

The euro and gfs opening up the system and shunting this east, is a viable noteworthy topic relating to a storm's impact on the region as well as learning about the weather. Trying to eliminate discussion by saying "there saying its not gonna be a storm or queens" is just old.

A storm with mid levels that explode and has a 963mb(pressure) SE of hatteras has usually the best good to our south. So in addition to speed of storm this is a reason to limit totals. Is there anything incorrect about this statement. EVERY time on this board.

I'm very confused about how this is in line with your recent FB post...you seem pretty gung ho on that.

In your post here, are you voicing concerns that are not being listened to?  Or are you saying the opposite?

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The euro and gfs opening up the system and shunting this east, is a viable noteworthy topic relating to a storm's impact on the region as well as learning about the weather. Trying to eliminate discussion by saying "there saying its not gonna be a storm or queens" is just old.

A storm with mid levels that explode and has a 963mb(pressure) SE of hatteras has usually the best good to our south. So in addition to speed of storm this is a reason to limit totals. Is there anything incorrect about this statement. EVERY time on this board.

The violent shunt east could be real...but those same models were doing it to our south too....until it got inside 48 hours and now they are not down there...they wait longer. My guess is the shunt east gets less violent as we get closer. It will still try and shunt east because we have very little downstream blocking, so the progressive nature of the flow wil keep it moving. But I personally do not think there is going to be some uber-right turn east at the last second that causes this to be a 4-6" snowstorm for eastern SNE instead of 9-15".

As for the QPf, the euro could keep everything the same aloft, and I'd up the QPF for a good portion of central SNE. Its prob too light there.

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The euro and gfs opening up the system and shunting this east, is a viable noteworthy topic relating to a storm's impact on the region as well as learning about the weather. Trying to eliminate discussion by saying "there saying its not gonna be a storm or queens" is just old and false lol.

A storm with mid levels that explode and has a 963mb(pressure) SE of hatteras has usually the best goods to our south. So in addition to speed of storm this is a reason to limit totals. Is there anything incorrect about this statement. I read other subforums, they Don't do this.

The Queens saying is a joke. I mentioned the occlusion process, but it also may not be handling things well and shunt it east too quickly. It's a highly anomalous storm and may not be handled well. I see everyone mentioning the possibilities, but I would highly advise the HFD CT valley people to keep an eye out on higher totals.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Google warm seclusions. You'll find a lot of Ryan Maue's work. Things can get funky once the warm core pinches off.

Once it occluded don't you start to lose the good conveyor belts?  It always seems to get more shredded and banded too.  So you come away with more of the "winner and losers" type strength rather than a strong conveyor belt system where everyone sees similar totals.

I don't think people should be that worried about occlusion here though in the sense that this will be a rotting moisture-starved low pressure system by the time it reaches our latitude because that's definitely not the case. The speed of the system is a much bigger factor in limiting huge QPF numbers imo. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm very confused about how this is in line with your recent FB post...you seem pretty gung ho on that.

In your post here, are you voicing concerns that are not being listened to?  Or are you saying the opposite?

Lol. I saw that. He’s glass half empty here and half full there 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It's still intensifying as it makes its closest pass to New England.  It shows a 945mb low.  That's a ****ing beast.  Quite a few people tend to focus mainly on the QPF output which is the least skilled piece of a model.  Focus on the Mid and Upper levels 1st and the results will come.  Now I'm not saying to not post or talk about QPF/Snow but to give them much credence until ~24hrs out is pointless.  That being said, The Euro just made a HUGE jump from 00z to 12z in that regard.  I just saw my QPF double in 12hrs.  I think we continue to see a ramping up of it to a degree. I'll be damned if this does not have a ML band arcing over the interior along with the typical fronto back in eastern areas.

Archived