Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roger Smith said:

At this point I think the most likely track is probably a lot closer than most models are showing to southern New England, and it may turn into a huge snowfall event. My reasoning is that indications are already showing up that cyclogenesis has started over the eastern GOMEX and both the northern and chasing energy centers will be drawn in at even faster rates than models are showing. This may explode a low near Hatteras rather than out to sea, and lead to a track straight up the Gulf Stream towards Cape Cod. The various model flirtations with extreme low pressure likely mean that this will deepen to the 950s as early as 3rd near Hatteras and the end result will be a widespread northeast U.S. blizzard. 

It will slide inland over Maine but highly occluded at that point, and end up in the western Gulf of St Lawrence. 

When will models show this evolution? Late 1st or early 2nd. 

This may resemble the Jan 1978 superstorm on a track from east of Florida to Maine instead of Alabama to Lake Huron. 

I think there's too much energy stored up here, waiting to explode, for some of these OTS scenarios, and the SSTs are anomalously warm on the east coast. It will try to hug the coast long enough to force the flow around it rather than pushing it along. 

I agree with some of the points here. A consolidated sub 960 low is going go to try and follow the largest source of heat the GS. The big question still is which side. A 150 mile difference either side of the Gulf Stream in an extremely dynamic system has huge implications. Using examples like 12/10, 2/13 and 01/15 a major cutoff exists west of the main deform. I think the Far East solutions and the double barrel messes are very unlikely. But if we do see a 40/60ish track on the eastern side of what seems resonable this will be a scraper for all but Nantucket 

Y'all aren't giving up already are you? I'm flying out to Stowe next week and still have hope for 8"+ out of this one. 84 hours out still. Need 100 miles for a coastal blizzard and good snows to interior NNE. Even if we were at 48 hours I would have some hope in PVD for 8"+. Good chunk of the ensembles would be a fun start to 2018. 

Don't turn your back on love unless that's where you want it.

wpc discussion is good I think for ema and ene.  Looks like they are thinking warning snows quite possible almost back to con.    Really interesting to see how this really won't resolve until 12z tomorrow.  One of the more complicated set ups in memory.  I hold onto what the man is doing in the next 48 hours, the steadiness of the Cmc and ukie  to some extent, and also the possibility of one low closer to the coast, and that strong lows can tuck in more

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When will all energy be onshore and sampled?

This afternoon. Also, what an incredible bomb the Euro was. Obviously not what we wanted to see track wise, but mid 940s before reaching our latitude is insane! 100 miles west and a lot would be in business. Hopefully the northern stream looks better with the higher resolution sampling tonight. 

The 6z GEFS are pretty crazy when compared to yesterday's runs.  From high probabilities of 6"+ between BOS-PVD yesterday to next to nothing this morning with maybe 2" near TAN on the mean.  It now has the best snow probabilities in NNE into southern Quebec with the cyclonic NW flow stuff for places like Pittsburg, NH and Jay Peak.

The windshield wiper effect has been crazy with this storm over the past 5 days.

That euro depiction is basically poetic in the way it screws us. Fits the winter to this point... Mid Atlantic gets good snow, it skips over this area and goes to town NE.

Like I said yesterday, the low being so far offshore concerned me. We’d either see the best stuff consolidate closer to the coast, or the good stuff would move out (which is what is happening)

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That euro depiction is basically poetic in the way it screws us. Fits the winter to this point... Mid Atlantic gets good snow, it skips over this area and goes to town NE.

Like I said yesterday, the low being so far offshore concerned me. We’d either see the best stuff consolidate closer to the coast, or the good stuff would move out (which is what is happening)

I thought you'd decided not to check in until Tuesday night? None of the runs to date have sampled the s/w's well, as far as we can tell. Maybe luck is on their side, and their interpolation will be bang on, but I wouldn't bet on it. We'll have a clear picture tonight and if she gone at 12z tomorrow, we can bury this one.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Is that s/w in the Great Lakes acting as a kicker on the GFS? It looks great until hr 78, shooting north on a benchmark trajectory, then suddenly shoots out due East. Interesting.

Good question.  Perhaps THE question.  The sensitivity thing was focused on strength of shortwave I think.   Gfs and nam have both sharpened the short waves in the 24-48 hour timeframe yes?

Archived