Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hoth said:

Nammy not bad either (usual caveats apply).

Too much talk about that POS model. The EPS was closer than the op to the New England close with the srn s/w in question. I'm not sure why people want a phased bomb on a 84-96 hr depiction, unless they live in KROC. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Too much talk about that POS model. The EPS was closer than the op to the New England close with the srn s/w in question. I'm not sure why people want a phased bomb on a 84-96 hr depiction, unless they live in KROC. 

:lol: As far as I'm concerned, this has all been a warm up exercise. The game starts tonight.

Looking at NPAC infrared, I believe our little friend is just about coming on shore.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You'd rather not see a phased bomb right now?  Just worried about how models aren't that good so if they show it now it must be wrong?

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

Well WPC and GYX also seem quite confident on at least advisory level snows.  Mets FTW.

Yeah that's a lock for eastern areas as discussed last night.  Cold air mass and big ocean storm with those SSTs...easy fluff to 3-6" along the coastal plain regardless of what happens.

Just now, powderfreak said:

You'd rather not see a phased bomb right now?  Just worried about how models aren't that good so if they show it now it must be wrong?

These setups are notorious for coming west when data is sampled and/or convection from latent heat release. This does not always happen, but not sure why people want to see a model show 2' in their backyard, 4 days out. 

Wednesday night into Thursday night...

Model guidance suite continues to advertise explosive
cyclogenesis over the ocean south of New Eng with potential for
a sub 960 mb low, but consensus is still for an offshore track
with UKMET on the western edge of the track envelope. Still a
lot of spread among the GEFS and EPS ensemble members as track
of storm will hinge on complex interaction of lead shortwave
lifting NE from the Gulf coast and northern stream energy diving
into the Great Lakes. A more amplified Great Lakes trough would
increase probability of a further west track closer to New Eng
and a major winter storm. Less amplification favors a more
offshore track and lighter snowfall. The lead shortwave will be
entering the NW CONUS this morning but second shortwave which is
the critical piece in determining the amplification of the
Great Lakes trough is still over the Pacific and moving into
western Canada this morning. This shortwave will not be well
sampled by upper air network until tonight so suspect 00z Tue or
12z Tue model suite will have a better handle on resolving the
finer details.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

These setups are notorious for coming west when data is sampled and/or convection from latent heat release. This does not always happen, but not sure why people want to see a model show 2' in their backyard, 4 days out. 

Haha that's such a funny way to look at it.  Like the models have to be wrong.  If I'm you guys though yeah, I want this to stay off shore and then start to see it come west on some NAM runs before one EURO run goes full tilt blizzard for BOS. 

Personally I'd rather it be showing 2 feet over all of New England right now, ha.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I still would tell PF and the western New England crowd to watch this closely.

There are still JUST enough ensemble members to keep it interesting.  But it is funny the differences in opinions... just like if we were looking to get crushed right now I'd be sitting here telling you guys to watch out, lol.

We want EPS member 23 please.

eps_qpf_slp_23_east2_16.thumb.png.b5bf568a4a274537a7a299c37b634403.png

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There are still JUST enough ensemble members to keep it interesting.  But it is funny the differences in opinions... just like if we were looking to get crushed right now I'd be sitting here telling you guys to watch out, lol.

We want EPS member 23 please.

eps_qpf_slp_23_east2_16.thumb.png.b5bf568a4a274537a7a299c37b634403.png

Yeah, feel like that would have a Boxing Day style deform somewhere in the HV up to the Pit. Wind shredded baking soda on the coast.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha that's such a funny way to look at it.  Like the models have to be wrong.  If I'm you guys though yeah, I want this to stay off shore and then start to see it come west on some NAM runs before one EURO run goes full tilt blizzard for BOS. 

Personally I'd rather it be showing 2 feet over all of New England right now, ha.

I'm not implying it's wrong, but why would I take a 4 days solution as verbatim?

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Even the ensembles will be all fd up if the sampling isn't good. People have short memories.

The "southern" s/w will come into better balloon sampling today and tonight. The "northern" s/w is still south of AK. These aren't exactly as bad as the sampling issues with nrn AK and arctic s/w's, but any slight differences can have big effects down the road. While not the main issue, the west coast ridge is in a good spot to really allow this to amplify. It's not like it's progressing into the Plains to limit amplification. I guess I am content given the solutions...even if I lived in western and northwestern New England. People need to see the forest through the champagne bubbles last night.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not implying it's wrong, but why would I take a 4 days solution as verbatim?

The models are prob wrong though. Lol. They almost always are too flat when it comes to these types of complex setups that involve southern stream with tons of convection. Like we're talking MCS type of convection. 

So yeah. I'm ok with the models being a little too far east right now. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The models are prob wrong though. Lol. They almost always are too flat when it comes to these types of complex setups that involve southern stream with tons of convection. Like we're talking MCS type of convection. 

So yeah. I'm ok with the models being a little too far east right now. 

Exactly. So i'm supposed to be down in the gutter because I'm 50-100 miles from an epic storm, 4 days out? I'll give people credit that they probably can't see the EPS output like the op I guess.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The "southern" s/w will come into better balloon sampling today and tonight. The "northern" s/w is still south of AK. These aren't exactly as bad as the sampling issues with nrn AK and arctic s/w's, but any slight differences can have big effects down the road. While not the main issue, the west coast ridge is in a good spot to really allow this to amplify. It's not like it's progressing into the Plains to limit amplification. I guess I am content given the solutions...even if I lived in western and northwestern New England. People need to see the forest through the champagne bubbles last night.

What's your take on the Atlantic side? Any definable trend there with respect to ridging? I suppose any improvement there would help buckle the flow a bit.

Archived