Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

How much affect could latent heat release from extreme convection have on downstream ridging and ultimate track?  It seems like this piece of the puzzle might be tough to handle with such a rapidly deepening storm.

I just keep thinking of last March, where everything just kept backing more west every run. Granted, the mesos seem to have paused for now, but we'll see how things go when this sucker starts taking off this afternoon.

3 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

How much affect could latent heat release from extreme convection have on downstream ridging and ultimate track?  It seems like this piece of the puzzle might be tough to handle with such a rapidly deepening storm.

I have no idea but agree thats tough to pinpoint even at 24-36hr. 

Just now, Hoth said:

I just keep thinking of last March, where everything just kept backing more west every run. Granted, the mesos seem to have paused for now, but we'll see how things go when this sucker starts taking off this afternoon.

Yes but the mid levels inland in March which was a red flag for like 2 days. This has mid levels underneath us. Need great inflow and a sick deform band to get the job done.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Wind certainly cuts down the ratio, but IMO dendrite formation can be an even bigger factor.  The 2 big snows of Dec 2003 show a real contrast.  The 6-7 storm had extended blizzard criteria, winds gusting 35-40, and put down 24.0" with 1.63" LE and temps near 20, ratio 14.7-to-1.  The event on the 15th came with similar temps, winds gusting into the 20s, and brought 13.0" on 1.53" LE, ratio 8.5-to-1.  Despite significantly lesser winds and equivalent temp, the latter storm's ratio was far lower.  (Both storms came mainly through the night, so no flake size obs are remembered.)

The upcoming event seemingly gets better and better with almost every run.  There's usually some backing off at some point.  We'll see.

Interesting!  Thanks, Tamarack.

I don't know, isn't the GFS 1200 run showing a more easterly track now?  Wouldn't that be more in line with the CMC?  Then again, I don't know much about this stuff, just basing on looks of the maps alone.  I'm new to the forum and have been a long time model map lurker...  (Image below from PSU e-Wall site)

f30.gif

12 minutes ago, Hoth said:

There wasn't an arctic airmass in place before and after the storm in March like what we're going to be seeing Thursday and into the weekend.  That arctic high to the north of us is a beast.

Archived