Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WintersComing said:

Seems like the CMC bites on making one of those eastern SLP's down south the primary low and then goes north and east from there where most other models are consolidating closer in to the coast.

Yeah, it doesn't look right.  This thing is about to explode, and I don't buy that it won't be able to wrap that plume in.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

sorry ... i just meant that if there is a tropospheric folding phenomenon being dragged along wit that jet as it's presently (can be seen...) fisting into the northern Gulf on vapor loops ... that could indicate that a, this thing has more power associated than we may think, but also, ...that entrained stratospheric air into the back side could add some mechanics to total vorticity - which ..okay, that stuff is bit outre but were you around in Dec 2005?   ... 

Yes of course.  Craziest storm ever here (Lightning bolt Cloud > Ground behind my house).  But I'm just saying your so smart and so humble.  And I hope so.  It's going to take some big rates to get the totals we want in here.  Too fast.  

48 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I actually liked the look and distribution of the 06z hi-res RGEM.  Picks up on the fronto band as well as the deformation band.  The red stripe is 40mm. Orange is 30-40mm so an so forth.  I'd cut back on the western and northern edges.

SN_000-048_0000.thumb.gif.a380af0d9c52ec05b29b52143768da39.gif

Scooter jack...we don't suprise.

I almost think there should be types of blizzard ... perhaps just two, but there's a difference between the environmental impact, both observational while it is happening, and probably threat assessing before hand, between choking fall rates with winds gusting occasionally to 35 mph, when comparing to a sideways maelstrom of violent froth as though you were on top of Mt Washington. 

Hyperbole granted ... but, the flat expanses of SE Mass will have more unimpeded laminar type winds purporting massive quantities of heavy snow fall... reducing (most likely...) visibility into the don't go outside for any reason range, where as folks in ORH up to BED and over to CON in NH will be dealt blizzard conditions, that are covered in winter storm warnings with heavy blowing wordage. 

That's fine, but I propose blizzard scaling, ...?  Even if there are only two.  Like, Blizzard Watch, then Blizzard warning 1 or blizzard warning 2. 

But, to Chris' point earlier, the public doesn't "get it" much of the time and don't delineate the right way anyway... certainly don't know how to consume these watches and warnings, or advisories, judiciously in their objectively to begin with so ... perhaps not not. 

But sufficed it is to say, ORH to BED?  I don't see how you can stack up 16" in what ... 6 hours, with winds gusting routinely to 40 mph and fail AMS' definition on the matter.  I suppose in the grand scheme of things, and considering the snarky comment that airs of truth above ... Winter Storm Warning with pig loads of blowing and drifting means the same schit anyway but, it does seem there is a kind of "gray" area (pun intended..) between that type of open field guff impact, versus that gusty street lamp sintered dust you get in chop winds around downtowns or in the interior hilly terrain. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thats pretty bad that gfs kuchie cant up the numbers. That should be 12+ based in h7 fronto. 

Kuchera doesn't see anything like H7 fronto or use omega/lift...it just uses temps in the soundings to determine ratios...basically cold = higher ratios. The cobb method would prob spit out some big numbers though.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh now the maps come out once they show what we want to see ;).  Called it days ago.  As soon as it showed a big hit the maps would come out.

Thanks for all your help pulling this as far we as possible though, its much appreciated. 

Kinda unfair.....there has been plenty of monkey spankin going on with several people.

5 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Yes of course.  Craziest storm ever here (Lightning bolt Cloud > Ground behind my house).  But I'm just saying your so smart and so humble.  And I hope so.  It's going to take some big rates to get the totals we want in here.  Too fast.  

heh ... stanks but, i'm an idiot. 

otherwise i'd still have Christine with me after all these years of forsaken spirituality -  ...Buuut, that's what tobacco and alcohol are for .... 

17 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

There wasn't an arctic airmass in place before and after the storm in March like what we're going to be seeing Thursday and into the weekend.  That arctic high to the north of us is a beast.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a perfect analog, and I'm definitely not suggesting this ends up over Long Island. I'm just saying that one had a lot of convection with it that pumped up heights more than expected and this should too. That may mean a gradual drift more west, at most to the benchmark given the progressive nature of the flow.  Want the southern stream to continue trending stronger and the northern stream to push a little less. We'll see. It will be fascinating whatever happens.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh now the maps come out once they show what we want to see ;).  Called it days ago.  As soon as it showed a big hit the maps would come out.

Thanks for all your help pulling this as far we as possible though, its much appreciated. 

heck of a winter this year! hope you are getting out there and enjoying, but man its been way too cold for me to get out much lol

-40 windchills and snow, gonna be a fun morning friday  ;)

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Scooter jack...we don't suprise.

Ray, me and Harvey seem to be correct what that particular model is showing. Eastern Mass jacks with a ribbon of ultimate jacks from the immediate north shore to Boston to Milford to Canton.

Just now, weathafella said:

Everyone always gets testy with one another after days of working on a way this is going to hit.   Relax friends-in every system there are people rejoicing and others disappointed.  We just don’t know who will be either just yet.

Exactly....all need to sit back and enjoy the ride.  It will be what it will be.  Can't fight Mother Nature.

Archived