Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

During my own short time (since 3/26/14) tracking NE coastals, it appears that we get these W trends with the NAM & GFS in this time frame on such intense systems.  However, they generally verify more E/wd during now-casting.  Am I wrong in this recollection?

On a personal note, my experience was derived forecasting and tracking SE coastals.  It's a different beast forecasting up here!

You may not be wrong inside of a small sample set ... which you've already admitted/acknowledged ... granted. 

In the 25 years I've been privy to modeling, I don't see any pattern such as that behavior that lasts over years. It seems you get trends that give perhaps faux fixed biases like that.  That said, there are 'tendencies' endemic to each tool - like the Euro tuck back SW of vorticity ... or the GFS unrelenting progressivity in the middle range with cyclones.  ... so it's not impossible that there is some sort of standardized issue in the 48 hour frame. interesting..

Just now, wxsniss said:

If we didn't have decent consensus around 0z Euro / 0z NAM / GEFS, I'd be much more nervous about this forecast, even for taint issues further up from the canal... that convection will be playing havoc with nowcasts

Yeah, We don't know if that's right or not either, That is the only reason this is a little east as jumped to the convection offshore.

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That's a pretty deep PV anomaly skirting the northern Gulf of Mexico.

Some serious subsidence behind it, even at the highest level WV product. And the ozone products confirm there is a little stratospheric air in there. 

this is fascinating .. this is could be contributing to the total diabatic budget of this things thermodynamics in an insidious way. 

there's a lot of consternation if not vexation as to why/where this thing is getting Cat 3 pressures and in a lot of ways ...structure from, and it may in fact be particulars associated to the physics of entrainment ... perhaps even lesser known mechanics of incremental folding behavior working into this.   For that matter... I'm an idiot - why haven't I looked at the 200 mb evolution.  man thanks for reminding me -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this is fascinating .. this is could be contributing to the total diabatic budget of this things thermodynamics in an insidious way. 

there's a lot of consternation if not vexation as to why/where this thing is getting Cat 3 pressures and in a lot of ways ...structure from, and it may in fact be particulars associated to the physics of entrainment ... perhaps even lesser known mechanics of incremental folding behavior working into this.   For that matter... I'm an idiot - why haven't I looked at the 200 mb evolution.  man thanks for reminding me -

I need a Harvard BA and an Oxford PHd just to READ your posts Tip........ and then you call yourself an idiot.  

You're The Man.  

Yeah 12z NAM solution is somewhere in between 0z and 6z... despite tick east, spreads the wealth well west of 0z.

All with an unambiguous blizzard for eastern SNE 

Maybe something made multiple 6z models jump. 12z RGEM will be key to see if 6z RGEM was a blip or if the significant 6z west jump is real

I think that funky evolutions lead to funky results and those dual convective lows would have me a little nervous if I was forecasting this one. I'd bet on a Euro/GFS blend right now because I think it sneaking a little east is a lot more likely than a NAM solution. But we'll see what happens today.

I'd go with a big 6-12'' swath east of a HFD/CEF/ORE arc and then 8-14'' inside 128. 

Archived