joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It actually doesn’t look that different from the 12z ukie from yesterday.  I wonder why the ukie showed so much more precip. 

Yeah, not sure the EURO actually “pops” the low. But it tries. UKIE also does it closer to the coast and IIRC it gets it down to just below 1000mb.

Interesting day. One of the various things cranky mentioned on his Twitter was seeing where the low decides to consolidate in the Bahamas/off Florida. If it consolidates even just a little more westward then modeled, & we get a second low, then things get a little more interesting.

Copious amounts of modeled convection is having a significant effect on the development location and initial deepening of the low. The environment certainly favors a lot of strong convective activity as the low develops east of Florida, but expect more run-to-run variability and ensemble spread than normal.

Best to pay attention to the upper levels for now -- at least until we get closer. The 12Z runs of both the GFS and EC were definitely better in that regard. While the EC was a tad later with the phase, the southern s/w goes negative earlier.

Just now, Wonderdog said:

Mitch, can that low close to the coast have any chance of becoming the primary, if there is one? And maybe it's not a tease but a late starting trend due to the 2nd lp.

I don't claim to be competent enough to answer that, but my guess is no. But we don't need it to to get some accumulating snow.

if...BIG if, but if you can get the westward part of the "dualish" kinda low structure here to take over, then miracles really can happen.

ecmwf_mslpa_us_5.png&key=55bde0049ec3afbaf2f9132f54f01b08ef421b5ba9fc5f9089464e7a1aec4dd6

Primary looks too established there. This almost feels like a tropical system where we are looking to see where the low consolidates. Paging [mention=9730]WxWatcher007[/mention], lol.

I was trying to do some reading on the whole double-barreled low scenario to see exactly what causes that to happen but couldn’t find any. If anyone has something fun to read so I can learn more I’d love to have it.

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Primary looks too established there. This almost feels like a tropical system where we are looking to see where the low consolidates. Paging@WxWatcher007, lol.

I was trying to do some reading on the whole double-barreled low scenario to see exactly what causes that to happen but couldn’t find any. If anyone has something fun to read so I can learn more I’d love to have it.

agreed.  As already suggested, look at upper air patterns to see whats driving and where it can go.  IMO it argues against the western jog we need.  But as also stated, the early capture and any SW jog with that happening, will further help to give this a shot.

this does seem to have beach storm written all over it.  you can even look at the WV imagery to get an idea of just how broad and east the flow is (of course, that's now and not thursday, but you get my point).  also, how often do we get coastal storms with such a frigid airmass?  seems like you can shift the normal path east a bit given the whole setup.  with that said, this really could be a pretty legit and unusual storm for the beaches imo, if things continue to trend in that direction.  it does feel like we're on the outside looking in for now, but still an intriguing storm to track and it would still be nice to get fringed.   

Thiiink I can post this? A couple of the GEFS members have an attempt at the double-low, with a couple looking fairly promising but still managing to get no precip our way. One does have the closer low to the coast take over. Double low idea is much more interesting for us in the 12z GEFS then the 6z GEFS IMO when flipping through the panels.

qXkhOou.jpg

30 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Primary looks too established there. This almost feels like a tropical system where we are looking to see where the low consolidates. Paging [mention=9730]WxWatcher007[/mention], lol.

The only double barrel systems that I know that impact us are when the primary system runs up the Appalachians and a secondary forms along the coast. We had a lot of over running events in the 80's that started as snow and then switched to freezing drizzle as the secondary took over off the coast. Gordon Barnes and Bill Kamal loved referring to those systems as double barrel systems.

not sure how many people stayed for the light even the other night, but you could see the potential for snow in these temps.  flakes were the size of crumbs, but they all counted and they all made it to the ground, and stuck.  powdery snowstorms are probably my favorite kind.  all we need is like 0.20 qpf to make it a legit event with these temps.

12 minutes ago, 87storms said:

not sure how many people stayed for the light even the other night, but you could see the potential for snow in these temps.  flakes were the size of crumbs, but they all counted and they all made it to the ground, and stuck.  powdery snowstorms are probably my favorite kind.  all we need is like 0.20 qpf to make it a legit event with these temps.

DCA didn't even hit 10:1 ratios the other night. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived