Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Here's the money shot, if there is one, on the Nam. 700mb RH. It's 84 hours so use with caution,  but it shows deep moisture headed towards us. If you put it in motion at the ncep site, it's even better looking. It's a shame TT doesn't have this on their site.

I thought it looked pretty good at 84 even for 95, or at least keeps me interested for another set of runs.  Double barreled low, too.  There’s nothing else to track, anyways.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I went back over the last 96 hours of runs to where some guidance was really gung ho on the dual low 'phenomenon'. I wanted to find out why models were placing a lp area nearer the coast. Most 500mb maps on models showing the dual low feature all screamed bogus as the main show was well East with the front running energy. So I decided to dig deeper to find out why even with the eastern lp running the show were these models hinting at a dual low or tug west of the main show that was tracking farther East.

Something many, including myself, were overlooking and one of the main reasons I believe the storm will either continue shifting W of runs OR at the very least have the dual low tucked closer to the coast is simple.......extreme thermal gradient-based baroclinic zone.

This is my completely amateur opinion but with 2m temps running 15-25 BN in spots even along the coast PLUS sst's in the Gulf Stream running AN, there is one heck of a gradient in thermals near the coast. Low pressure LOVES this type of setup whether for a coastal front/baroclinic zone or just an area of weakness/path of least resistance for lp to travel.

I am confident that when the hi res models start seeing this and get into range we will see better surface reflection of the dual low look or a weakness nearer the coastline. Now, this may or may not have a massive impact if the front running energy scoots out too far ahead BUT recent trends at 500mb now signal that the main show is ticking West irt trof axis farther west. As long as this look/trend continues, while we may not see a singular well defined lp hugging the coast, there should be enough of an influence from the anomalous thermal gradient to draw moisture and bagginess much nearer that what guidance is showing overall attm.

Just my $.02

It’s the NAM and call me crazy, but subtle differences noted on the evolution of the southern stream wave. More vigorous, slower to eject, neutral to even slow neg tilt trend toward hr 75, northern stream a bit further south/southwest. Surface low develops further west. Pieces of energy coming ashore now coming into play with respect to guidance. Not saying it’s gospel, but things are changing and evolving and each run getting more interesting from the MA to SNE. We are a long shot, but still 96 hours out and things can change. 
The NAM is sniffing it out....and it doesnt stink either. The NAVGEM is leading the W ticks yet again. This could be the fourth....yes the 4th time this month that the NAVGEM has raised the red flag sitting on the western edge of guidance. Not saying it is right, but it is 3 for 3 since Dec 9. Been sniffing alot of pattern and storm shifts out subtly. I am not interested in track verbatim right now, but we are all in a solid position. Would rather be watching a scenario like this unfold with the bullseye on New England at 96 hours rather than the other way around. Stay tuned on this one....McCoy might want to tell Jim it's not dead just yet.

1 minute ago, wkd said:

This run was almost the same as the 12Z, maybe a little worse.  Yesterday the 12 and 18Z runs showed improvements and then the 0Z models this morning took a turn for the worse.  Hope we don't get a repeat.

I like the Euro ticking West, and the NAVGEM as well. Don't know if it'll be enough, but this is getting interesting, especially for Annapolis and points East. Naso much for DC, but if the Euro is correct, it's close. 

GFS remained the same almost which isnt terrible. It could have jumped east or taken a step back but I dont feel it did that.

Looping the NAM surface from 66-84hrs that has the closest Jan 25, 2000 look that I have seen modeled in a long long time. I know weenies toss that storm around quite a bit but this is one time we actually have something close. I am looking at the NAM and having flashbacks to the AVN and ETA on Jan 22, 2000. That was 72 hours lead time.....we have 84+.......alot of time on our side. Going to be a nailbiter and roller coaster next 36 hours but I feel good that we start honing in a solution that will make the major metro area weenies smile.

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS remained the same almost which isnt terrible. It could have jumped east or taken a step back but I dont feel it did that.

Looping the NAM surface from 66-84hrs that has the closest Jan 25, 2000 look that I have seen modeled in a long long time. I know weenies toss that storm around quite a bit but this is one time we actually have something close. I am looking at the NAM and having flashbacks to the AVN and ETA on Jan 22, 2000. That was 72 hours lead time.....we have 84+.......alot of time on our side. Going to be a nailbiter and roller coaster next 36 hours but I feel good that we start honing in a solution that will make the major metro area weenies smile.

I hope so. I also noticed that the GFS is 10mb weaker for whatever reason. We are on the edge of no snow/snow, and so any shifts help. Unless the 0z suite shifts East, I'm feeling optimistic at seeing at least snowflakes. Good posts by the way

Reminder: Offshore areas average a lot more precipitation than 75 miles inland.  There's a meteorological reason for that.

If you live on land, you need a LLJ to transport moisture inland,  if you're a fish, you don't.

This is why getting precip to trend 75miles inland will be a lot harder than getting it to skim the coast.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived