Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

12Z ensembles look considerably better. Not a hit per se, but a definite improvement over 00Z.

Yeah, more individual members get snow in our region. 11/50 give DC accumulating snow, while 16/20 give areas to the SE accumulating snow. Pretty dismal odds, but there is a chance this trend continues 

Also, more members show bigger hit for SE New England compared to last run where more were OTS. Good improvement all around for a West trend. 

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, I'll post them below

5a493b6c3c6c5_eps_snow_25_washdc_23(1).thumb.png.3427a93aba9c62b1df873d4a6f2a82ae.png

Couple give us a decent snowfall. It's kinda hard to tell which individual members give us 0.1", since many have 0.1" from today's snow band 

eps_snow_50_washdc_23 (1).png

What are you chasing?  I only count 4 that even get 2" into dca. None that get something remotely significant. And not a single one that gets anything even close to me that I would waste any of my time on. I saw the improvements today as a baby step when an ocean is between us and where we need to be. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

What are you chasing?  I only count 4 that even get 2" into dca. None that get something remotely significant. And not a single one that gets anything even close to me that I would waste any of my time on. I saw the improvements today as a baby step when an ocean is between us and where we need to be. 

Our far eastern forum members are interested for sure.  

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is nothing reasonable to track for at least the next 7 days or so. What am I doing to affect you? At the very most if I'm lucky, I get mood snowflakes to an inch. I'm not gonna be chasing fantasy snow 8 days + in advance, so I'm trying to work with what I have here. Also, someone asked me to post that. It isn't like I tried to wishcast there. Better than sitting in the banter threat and/or panic room and complaining about this cold and dry pattern. 

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

There is nothing reasonable to track for at least the next 7 days or so. What am I doing to affect you? At the very most if I'm lucky, I get mood snowflakes to an inch. I'm not gonna be chasing fantasy snow 8 days + in advance, so I'm trying to work with what I have here. Also, someone asked me to post that. It isn't like I tried to wishcast there. 

Cobalt, let the weather jade you, not the people in here.  I, for one, appreciate your excitement and don't see it as wishcasting.

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Isn’t this a weather forum? Nothing else to track is there?

12 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

There is nothing reasonable to track for at least the next 7 days or so. What am I doing to affect you? At the very most if I'm lucky, I get mood snowflakes to an inch. I'm not gonna be chasing fantasy snow 8 days + in advance, so I'm trying to work with what I have here. Also, someone asked me to post that. It isn't like I tried to wishcast there. Better than sitting in the banter threat and/or panic room and complaining about this cold and dry pattern. 

The average forecast error at 96 hours for Atlantic hurricanes is around 125 miles. I'm not sure how that compares to east coast storms but if you draw a 125 mile cone on either side of the EPS mean low track we're still in the game.  Not likely a SECS or MECS but I think we have a reasonable chance of getting into accumulating snow.  

10 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

FWIW Cranky supports the idea of the double barrel low. Thinks GFS is seeing it wrong. 

If the GFS shifts significantly west at 18z my interest increases, otherwise no dice.

In dreamland at 240. The Euro if taken literally is quite interesting with LP over S. Georgia, HP near Huron and a prominent Atlantic ridge.

16 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

FWIW Cranky supports the idea of the double barrel low. Thinks GFS is seeing it wrong. 

The GFS actually has a double barrel low.  It just rotates around the primary before it gets here, so the lows are stacked vertically off the mid-Atlantic coast.  (I'm not sure if this is technically the Fujiwhara effect, but it's something very similar.)

yifBj1x.png

On the other hand, the Euro keeps the secondary low to the west of the primary near our latitude, which pushes more precip to the west. 

56l64rc.png

The GGEM never really seems to develop a secondary low center, but it comes close north of us, so congrats Boston.  This might end up being about where and when the secondary low forms, and how quickly it rotates around the primary.  We'd want them oriented so that the secondary makes its closest pass to the coast near us.

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

The average forecast error at 96 hours for Atlantic hurricanes is around 125 miles. I'm not sure how that compares to east coast storms but if you draw a 125 mile cone on either side of the EPS mean low track we're still in the game.  Not likely a SECS or MECS but I think we have a reasonable chance of getting into accumulating snow.  

Even a 60-75 mile shift West could make a big impact, especially if the precip shield is further West than depicted, as someone said. Snow is snow, and so if there's nothing to track in the 4 days, I'll be tracking this then

16 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I enjoy your optimism. Keep it as it will serve you well in life. As for this storm, the most likely outcome is us missing and watching our neighbors just to our east and northeast get slammed. A few of those over a lifetime can take a lot out of you. 2010 still hurts. As for this storm, I hope you can bring it home for us all. Sorry for the banter.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived