Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Typically, as in the case, here you want to see the trough axis neutral roughly around the Mississippi. The trough set up now is neutral about 150-200 miles to far to the east hence the storm is OTS about 150-200 miles.

I have signed off on Thursday. Trough axis too far east, repeatedly.

Of interest is a week from tomorrow. The 12z GEM gives us an inch of rain with temperatures climbing into the 50's, followed by colder.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

But is the weak SW troughing that is forcing the SE ridge the real deal or another phantom in the long range that we have seen time and again. 

Above my pay grade. Lol. Pattern is breaking so there's that. How it breaks and what it morphs into is something we'll be discussing for a week. 

It does look like next weekend's cold blast is the final push. That nasty western ridge is going to at the very least open the door for a big pac airmass to traverse the country. That part seems likely. Where pieces fall into place after that will keep us busy chasing long range threats for a while. Haha

18 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Typically, as in the case here, you want to see the trough axis neutral roughly around the Mississippi. The trough set up now is neutral about 150-200 miles to far to the east hence the storm is OTS about 150-200 miles.

I know what you mean regarding the trough axis not going neutral soon enough.  I was just noting that the Ridge axis out west (if portrayed semi-accurately) would usually translate to a storm track closer to the coast.  If the western ridge axis location verifies as projected, there may be some further westward storm track adjustments.  Still likely too little, too late for us.

5 minutes ago, MDstorm said:

I know what you mean regarding the trough axis not going neutral soon enough.  I was just noting that the Ridge axis out west (if portrayed semi-accurately) would usually translate to a storm track closer to the coast.  If the western ridge axis location verifies as projected, there may be some further westward storm track adjustments.  Still likely too little, too late for us.

as currently modeled, the western ridge is ok, but its the east that's the problem.  That's why the NS energy needs to dive in on the SW side of the trough, so that we can get better ridging in the east and the storm can tuck back west and bring some of us back into the game.  this would also help the trough axis to be more favorably tilted.  Were not getting that, and like stated, it looks better, but a closer miss....is still.....we'll ya know.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

look at 500.  Just not sure what to make of that.  Verbatim, low does jump notably west.  just not sure how it got there.  Doesnt seem right to me.

Those  are the kind of jumps we need.  Wonder if that dual low is still there.  

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Those  are the kind of jumps we need.  Wonder if that dual low is still there.  

it appears to be.  more of a w/e orientation and not n/s.  Now you need the western part to win the day for the scraper to happen.  Boy if i lived in Boston....

ecmwf_uv850_vort_us_5.png

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yep. My takeaway from the 12z runs is that the GFS and EURO both attempted the double-barrel miracle we’d need. Just need a little more help from the snow weenie gods.

It actually doesn’t look that different from the 12z ukie from yesterday.  I wonder why the ukie showed so much more precip. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived