joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

:lol: 

I would sooner travel hundreds of miles to find winter than let the knife of MA disappointment slay me.  

Back on topic: The Ukie isn't just east of 12z, it might as well be on another planet lol.

12z looked way east on Meteocentre.com,  but the double barreled structure is what brought the precip west. That was not apparent on the Meteo site.

5 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I'm glad, 'cuz it sounded like you and 007 were looking at completely different things there....

Hey, precip maps will certainly be lighter than 12z, but it's a guess how much lighter.  Could be dry if there isn't the double barreled low. The money shot is 108 hours, but Meteocentre.com only has 24 hour increments, so it's not available for another 25 minutes.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Fair point. I hope I jumped the gun. 

Given how far east that defined low moved at 00z, I'm not optimistic about the Ukie pushing much precip back into our backyards the region. I mean that low moved a lot and I'm not quite sold yet on a double barreled structure for this event, hit or not. 

Like I said,  it may give us nothing. But for the double low possibility, I would guess just that.

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Funny, remember how the eps showed .1" for 2/3's of the country for 10 days?  Guess it was right.

When this cold period showed and looked to last for 10 days we were all like "no way we get no precip for 10 days". And then the 70s walked in the door and said what's up. 

18 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Which winter from the 70s were some of you comparing this to?

1976-77 and 1977-78. It was one of those.

I have been savoring the cold. I have had beautiful jebwalks the last few days, and tonight I even had some snow to jebwalk in. I had a nice refreshing north breeze, and cool temps to enjoy.

10 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I think both would qualify. I do remember 1977 having that epic Buffalo blizzard. Meanwhile we sat cold and dry here. So we are to sit cold and dry until the 'cutter' changes the pattern long enough for us to get a rainstorm then back to cold and dry again....correct?

17 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I have been savoring the cold. I have had beautiful jebwalks the last few days, and tonight I even had some snow to jebwalk in. I had a nice refreshing north breeze, and cool temps to enjoy.

Yep. It's not that they were snowless because dc got 11 and 22 respectively those 2 years. But the 70s in general did not have big storms. Feb 79 was the only big one of the decade for the most part.  Some of the notable cold periods in the 70s didn't feature much snow for whatever reason. The 60s had a lot. The 70s was a nickel and dime decade. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived