Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

By the way, I know we all like to gang up on long range modeling, but I tend to view log range modeling as windows into possibilities. And I am certain that the ensembles about a week before Christmas in the long range had a set that were a big blue blob of polar cold way far south. And the group that had that was dry. I know PSU and a few others noted that we don’t want that much cold that far south optimally- and that has proved out so far. The alternate reality where the ensemble members a few weeks back that were wet and cold is an awesome alternate dimension. 

In other words, the long range modeling definitely showed the possibld outcome we are seeing at present. So, props to the modeling for that.

That was my biggest concern leading into this. We did not want to see such large negative departures deep into the gulf states. Shuts off just about all the moisture for our region. Models though, initially had weak southwest troughing that was forcing higher heights underneath us and to our southeast forcing the cold farther north putting us in a very good spot. Some of our better looks came then. But we saw how that verified. All I know at this point is that the general overall pattern is probably locked in for awhile so we need to find a way to make it work. My preference is to see that weak SW troughing actually verify. But all we have had in that regards is phantoms on the models that disappear as they get into range.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah, that does look better.  Didnt catch that.  Lets hope we can get the trough more neg. so this puppy can climb and tuck back west.

We've all spent a lot of time searching for the storms in the last couple weeks as the advertised pattern looked promising, (but in truth, of late I've been laxed as the pattern just screamed suppression) and has been challenging for sure.  I love the cold so Im not complaining, but it would be nice to put a storm or 2 on the boards.  

Here's to hoping.

yeah, before the inevitable and undeniable warm up,  and way before not like the day before.

5 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Well if we are looking for positives...FWIW...the NAM is digging that northern sw further west...so it’s a start and much better than 6z

Boy you aren’t kidding. Nam is MUCH improved looking at the 6z panels to 12z’s. Trying to sucker us in once again. Seems like some of the models are trying to throw us a bone here with the beginning runs today, namely the 12z Nam and the 6z Navy. 

7 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Boy you aren’t kidding. Nam is MUCH improved looking at the 6z panels to 12z’s. Trying to sucker us in once again. Seems like some of the models are trying to throw us a bone here with the beginning runs today, namely the 12z Nam and the 6z Navy. 

It's the 84 hour NAM.

Lets extrapolate that!

8 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

I guess the actual NAO SLP connects with precip and larger snowstorms... having a Greenland ridge has been easy, but the actual NAO is positive....

nao_sprd2.gif

You still think your call for a - NAO manifesting itself in Jan is possible? 

You called for it a couple weeks ago based on the pattern moving forward.  Just asking .

Last time we had a drop of significance was back in mid Nov. 

12 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

I guess the actual NAO SLP connects with precip and larger snowstorms... having a Greenland ridge has been easy, but the actual NAO is positive....

nao_sprd2.gif

Of all the indices,  I believe the NAO is the toughest and least accurate modeling when it comes to forecasting in general.  

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It's the 84 hour NAM.

Lets extrapolate that!

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

NAM at 500 does appear more neutrally tilted,

700 looks like NS energy is tryin to play catchup.  

850 is notably more NE but 4mb stronger w/ western precip looking a little better.

is it enough....extrapolate at your own will/peril...lol

ninja'd by CAPE....

I mean what else I got to do right now at 10am lol. It’s just nice to see something that looks halfway decent rather than a low down in Cuba. I know it’s the Nam. I’ve been a member of the boards forever guys. Carry on...

2 minutes ago, wkd said:

I would think the h500 on the nam should be the same as the gfs.  Have to check when the gfs comes out. Anyway, to my eye the 12z nam is showing a lot more NS involvement than the 06Z.

Not sure i'd say alot more, but yeah, its trying.  There IS plenty of time on our side, so verbatim, it is a step in the right direction.  

5 minutes ago, wkd said:

I would think the h500 on the nam should be the same as the gfs.  Have to check when the gfs comes out. Anyway, to my eye the 12z nam is showing a lot more NS involvement than the 06Z.

Comparing the 2 runs I would agree there is some improvement at h5. I would not use the NAM (esp out of its useful range) as an indicator for what any of the globals might or might not do.

13 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

12z NAM shows a stronger lp at hour 78 compared to 6z and at hour 84 it takes a jog to the NNW and strengthens to 1001. 500's improved a bit also but don't know what to make of that northern stream of energy re timing.

I agree that was better look.  If that phase was just further west like New Orleans vs. PNS as it shows now then something could get silly.j. On 0z NAM the base of the trough was still positive here its neutral.  Get it negative phase and do it in the big easy.  Things phase all the time there why not this.

18 minutes ago, frd said:

Of all the indices,  I believe the NAO is the toughest and least accurate modeling when it comes to forecasting in general.  

I would throw the MJO in there as well. It has been all over the place so far this year. Hell basically every model has been all over the place this year. No consistency from anything at this point.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would throw the MJO in there as well. It has been all over the place so far this year. Hell basically every model has been all over the place this year. No consistency from anything at this point.

True , on a related note the SOI has been negative recently . I believe there is a wave push reinforcing that area of warmer waters in the West Pac as Ventrice stated yesterday.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I'll tell ya what....it sure has been a year for meteorological curveballs...

and for a longtime hobbyist who thought he finally had some long range understanding, has me rethinkin what I've been thinkin.

then we get the medium/shortrange overpreformers (I got 4" yesterday when 1" was forecasted until last minute change), and I just dunno what to think.

another poster made a great point the other day about forecasting vs model watching or something along those lines, and that is a great point.  I think Chill and a few others have that ability, and its one many need to refine/acquire....that also includes me at times.

44 minutes ago, frd said:

You still think your call for a - NAO manifesting itself in Jan is possible? 

You called for it a couple weeks ago based on the pattern moving forward.  Just asking .

Last time we had a drop of significance was back in mid Nov. 

The call is based on 10mb geopotential height propagating to the 500mb level, so the call is more for Greenland ridging/blocking than the actual NAO which is sea level pressure difference in the eastern Atlantic. I do think the NAO will average negative for DJF because of Atlantic SSTs this past May-Sept. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived