Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Omg. Northern stream closes off at 186. Most epic progression I've ever seen. 

There are literally no words right now. I keep looking at H5 vort panels to see if I'm seeing this correctly. You got to love seeing multiple ways to get hit in this setup. Finally get some blocking and a solid 50/50 position. I still think we have a ways to go with evolution through the weekend, but we should have a better clue by Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

The big ones are sniffed out early. We've seen a few in recent years. Cmc almost gave us a foot and it seems small. Lol. Madness. 

This is the kind of pattern where the atmosphere could fart and mid-Atlantic would see a legit storm.  Lol

In all seriousness, this has what’s been depicted for several days of OP/ensembles...many different solutions but all provide some type of snow/mixed storm.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The big ones are sniffed out early. We've seen a few in recent years. Cmc almost gave us a foot and it seems small. Lol. Madness. 

Yea and I'd imagine that's because the big ones usually accompany a classic pattern. We can fluke our way to a 4-8" snowstorm. Even a 6-12" once in a blue moon. But the HECS events usually require the textbook pattern setup and so the models can see it easier. There aren't a lot of flaws. This pattern might fit that bill. 

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

Surprise neg nao...was this forecasted?

No. 5 days ago there wasn't even a -AO on the guidance. That's when things looked ok but nothing eye popping. Then the epo ridge just kept trending into a ridge bridge and eventually became a complete high latitude ridge encompassing the epo/ao/nao domain. Ironically right after bob said how difficult that would be to happen.  But that's how it goes. Typically a -nao pops up at day 10 or inside even so this is standard. It's believable because the major pattern drivers are only 3 days away from being in place. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived