Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I have a quick question which I should really know but don't. Do models factor in snow depth when factoring in temps. Like if the GFS is right and we get 2 feet of snow did the 00z run factor that in with the temps post-storm? 

Yes they do. Snowpack and open water etc are built in.  Could be one of the reasons the eps is so damn cold at long range. I've been looking at this stuff for a long time and I've never seen 5 consecutive days below freezing temps on a mean at long leads ever. Must be a ton of agreement for a combo of big cold and snowcover. 

Just now, Scraff said:

Man I hate hanging out with my neighbors to drink...and not looking at my phone the whole time I’m there. What did I miss?  We have a chance for flurries or something next week? :lol:

66 hour snow event if the GFS is right. That's really all you need to know to get the whole picture. 

Just now, nj2va said:

Definitely an overrunning signal on the GEFS. MSLP maps show a camp with the primary into WV but looking at the precip panels suggests it supports a better transfer to the coastal for our latitude.  Pretty classic look for us.  

Certainly a shift towards agreeing on a tn-nc jump. Looks damn nice. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs very supportive of a classic storm. Wouldn't say it supports the op becuase the mean is a classic east coast progression. Tons of agreement....and tons of precip...

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_27.png

Equally classic is that it leaves NE on the short end of the stick. Our great ones always do that.

Just now, Scraff said:

What the!?  Has that ever happened here...ever!? That’s like Tahoe pow pow. Man if Euro comes in like that...:hug:

It's never happened as far as I know and that in itself is a big flag. Not that it takes much explaining why a 60+ hour storm is unlikely. 

Pd2 was the longest duration I've seen and there was a lull between the overunning and coastal. Gfs had no lull whatsoever. Lol. Don't remember the duration of Pd2 specifically but it was close to 48 hours I think. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Certainly a shift towards agreeing on a tn-nc jump. Looks damn nice. 

Interesting look with the low in the lakes...Euro and the OP did this too which causes the streams to interact.  We usually hate a low in the lakes but with this it actually helps to enhance things for us (I think?).  

ETA: ha, just saw your post above.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Interesting look with the low in the lakes...Euro and the OP did this too which causes the streams to interact.  We usually hate a low in the lakes but with this it actually helps to enhance things for us (I think?).  

Lakes lows mostly piss us off because they warm the midlevels and/or cause storms to cut. This one is different. We're already plenty cold and with a blocked and strong high to the north, cutting is becoming less of a worry. That lakes low is the northern stream shortwave that interacts with the southern stream. Part of the reason we might get a precip bomb. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived