Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nj2va said:

Looking over the GEFS @ 500 shows a depiction closer to the Euro OP for the 29th storm.  Verbatim, it’d certainly help our mid levels and I think it’d work to keep the H pressure in place without getting shoved to the side like the GFS OP did.

D38FB459-2F55-4C8C-8327-B4FA1BC9C59D.png

40193E6B-7B37-4C34-A95F-944D9866F1CB.png

Glad the GEFS/EPS are on our side this far out. By far the strongest signal this far out of the year.

The upcoming period actually looks a lot better than 13-14. Similar with the epo but it kinda ends there. In reality we never should have gotten so many events and racked up big totals like we did that winter. A lot of luck was involved. The persistence into late feb/mar was incredible. We had true arctic air in march colliding with early spring shortwaves. 

Guidance is starting to gravitate towards the ao going negative again and maybe even a transient -nao. 13-14 was raging positive in both the ao/nao. PV displaceent came from the scand-ak ridge bridge. Also, I don't remember a baja stj moisture tap and that looks open for biz coming up. 

I'll be surprised if we don't get any snow or ice in the next 3 weeks. It will be fun watching the implosions and nuclear meltdowns if we don't though. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The upcoming period actually looks a lot better than 13-14. Similar with the epo but it kinda ends there. In reality we never should have gotten so many events and racked up big totals like we did that winter. A lot of luck was involved. The persistence into late feb/mar was incredible. We had true arctic air in march colliding with early spring shortwaves. 

Guidance is starting to gravitate towards the ao going negative again and maybe even a transient -nao. 13-14 was raging positive in both the ao/nao. PV displaceent came from the scand-ak ridge bridge. Also, I don't remember a baja stj moisture tap and that looks open for biz coming up. 

I'll be surprised if we don't get any snow or ice in the next 3 weeks. It will be fun watching the implosions and nuclear meltdowns if we don't though. 

I mean, if we don't get any snow events in the next 3 weeks, we're still on par or better than 14/15 and 15/16, and even 13/14 for some :lol:. Somebody said that December snowfall is gravy, but if we luck out on the next 3 weeks, the rest of the winter is gravy 

44 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We were lucky that the flow was both fast/progressive AND active that year. Waves were coming regularly enough to provide threats but most weren't amping up enough to bully their way into the cold and lift the boundary much. I can think of several of those events where had they amplified much would have gone north. But weak but still decently juiced waves kept sliding SW to NE along the baroclinoc zone all winter.  We also got pure luck a few times like the early march system when a lobe of the PV rotated around at the perfect time to suppress what would otherwise been a snowstorm for 40N  

We might have a little more going for us this time as you pointed out. Now if we can only get the luck we had that year....

Excellent podcast by DT. Talks about the potential of each event and the pattern that allows for the storm to form. If you want to hear about the potential event for the 30th, start at 11:45 in the video. My favorite part is when he calls the 18z a "piece of sh*t", and talks about it's bias to over amp storms. Great video

12 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Excellent podcast by DT. Talks about the potential of each event and the pattern that allows for the storm to form. If you want to hear about the potential event for the 30th, start at 11:45 in the video. My favorite part is when he calls the 18z a "piece of sh*t", and talks about it's bias to over amp storms. Great video

That was a good view.  Thanks for posting. Hope it works out.

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

GFS caught onto the front moving through faster on the 24th.  I'm less inclined to call it a POS than I used to be.

But I think it was also first in holding the front back keeping us warm. Recall both Gfs and Euro showed stalled front, overrunning scenarios. So first to shiat the bed and first to clean up its mess. No accolades for that in my book.

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

But I think it was also first in holding the front back. Recall both Gfs and Euro showed stalled front, overrunning scenarios. So first to shiat the bed and first to clean up its mess. No accolades for that in my book.

Yes. Correct sir.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived